Scuba accident in a swimming pool close to my house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrong tank and valve….
(G3/4 tank and M25x2 valve )

As expected, unfortunately. Sad this still happens, as it's a known issue. The tank also passed inspection and hydro a couple of times. Perhaps the wrong valve was added more recently?

As expected, unfortunately. Sad this still happens, as it's a known issue. The tank also passed inspection and hydro a couple of times. Perhaps the wrong valve was added more recently?

For hydro, the tank is tested without valve.

The owner or shop installs the tank after hydro.

So, it's a simple step of reading and matching the tank and valve that's missed with deadly possibilities?

01.jpg

02.jpg

@barth Sure, but that is still a hands-on moment. And I would assume the threads are still checked in this process. I know tanks failed on this; but I'm not sure this damages the threads enough to fail a caliber test.

@DandyDon Either missed, or markings were absent. I know at least one issue is older valves not always being marked.

I know at least one issue is older valves not always being marked.
Mark those suckers! If unmarked, don't use until checked and marked.

Final report: Veiligheidswaarschuwing duikflessen

Article is in Dutch. The accident was caused by a wrong valve. The cylinder had a G3/4 thread, the valve had a M25x2 thread. These threads will only fit if you use a hammer for the final turns. And this stupidity has now taken the life of a diver.

Article is in Dutch. The accident was caused by a wrong valve. The cylinder had a G3/4 thread, the valve had a M25x2 thread. These threads will only fit if you use a hammer for the final turns. And this stupidity has now taken the life of a diver.
One of my local dive shops had one explode when filling with exactly that. The gas person didn't get hit but had temporary hearing loss for a few days.

Interesting to find out where this G3/4 cylinder came from. Was it a very old cylinder or a grey import?
Does CE specify the thread? Is M25x2 the standard in the Netherland, and if so for how long?

Earlier this year my UK cylinders had a hydro. Two of them needed new valves as they were obsolete and service parts not available. Even these 28 year old Fabers were M25x2 as were the new valves.

@MarkA iirc M25x2 became the European standard in the 90s, and after a grace periode became mandatory in the mid 00s 2010 for new tanks. Before that BSPP 3/4” (known as G3/4” here) was common. So it’s mostly old tanks, as most tanks before that were already standards-compliant. Of course, tanks last a good while, so age isa bit relative. I suppose there’s a few grey import BSPP 3/4” and it’s close but not quite identical US cousin tanks as well, but I don’t think that will be huge numbers. The G3/4” tanks I’ve (knowlingly) seen were all fairly old, with many hydro stamps on them. (and clearly stamped thread markings in both tank and valve).

Back
Top Bottom