Children die playing with scuba gear left in pool - Jensen Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Young siblings die after using scuba equipment in pool in Jensen Beach
JENSEN BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) — The Martin County Sheriff's Office is investigating the deaths of two children as a possible drowning in Jensen Beach.

It happened Friday evening in the Pinecrest Lakes community.

Investigators said a 7-year-old boy and a 9-year-old girl were left alone in a swimming pool with the homeowner's scuba tank that was placed into the water.

The sheriff's office said the adults walked away from the pool area for a short amount of time to look at another piece of diving equipment. The adults returned and found the children and the dive tank at the bottom of the pool. The adults pulled the kids from the pool and tried CPR before rescue crews arrived.

The children died Tuesday morning.

A parent told investigators the siblings were experienced swimmers and proficient divers and had been at the home before to use the pool and scuba equipment The children were visiting from a neighboring county, the sheriff's office said.

The medical examiner will determine a cause of death. The sheriff's office says it's working with the State Attorney's Office to investigate the circumstances of the deaths, including potential issues with the dive equipment used by the children.

Not sure I could take that very well at all. Dang.

This is the worst diving death news I have read here, may Allah gives patience and solace to the parents and family to endure this most terrible tragedy.

I'm not sure the scuba tank was relevant in this situation. Tragic. Sounds strange to me. Perhaps one child slipped, fell, hit their head and the other child tried to rescue?

I'm not sure the scuba tank was relevant in this situation. Tragic. Sounds strange to me. Perhaps one child slipped, fell, hit their head and the other child tried to rescue?
With the scuba gear found at the bottom with them? It sounds like proficient swimmers decided that they could do what the adults had been doing. I have seen BCs and tanks left floating in pools and not considered the risk.

Certainly not an example of quality investigative journalism.

So embolism seems the most plausible, but I would think there would be signs of lung trauma. The incident occurred on Friday and both kids passed today. Four days after the incident.

Alternatively, this could of been a hypoxic mix. The fact the tank and assuming a reg set were taken for inspection might be a hint toward that.

Drowning unrelated to the scuba tank seems unlikely as the articles states both kids were swimmers and had experience diving. I'm not sure how you could describe a 7 and 9 year old as proficient divers. Also, neither are old enough to be certified.

Very tragic to hear of an accident like this. I can't think of any other reason two kids would die from what we know as reported.

I doubt it. There are a bunch of news reports about the accident now. Some a little less ambiguous than the original. Seems the state attorney is investigating "potential issues with the dive equipment used by the children."

I can't see this not winding up with the parents going to jail on top of losing their children.

I doubt it. There are a bunch of news reports about the accident now. Some a little less ambiguous than the original. Seems the state attorney is investigating "potential issues with the dive equipment used by the children."

I can't see this not winding up with the parents going to jail on top of losing their children.
How so? Were the kids actually diving in the pool or did they just grab the tank (rig?) that was set in the pool for a rinse after diving?

Can you post the new information the article really doesn't tell anything useful just enough to create a lot of speculation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom