Scuba accident in a swimming pool close to my house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miss remembering, but checking the text book, says tank when valve broke had it go through building roof and go 2 city blocks, landed making 10 foot long trench and hitting and cracking side of cement building. In any case this was a 2000psi filled tank.

Mild speculation, but part of me wonders if the diver was "testing equipment" in the pool with awareness of potential unreliability. For example, maybe he bought it off craigslist, and figured he could more safely test it in a pool.

I too have some slight skepticism about the "tank exploded" claim. For example, people unfamiliar with SCUBA might think a regulator failure where tons of bubbles escape, is a "tank explosion" because they don't know any better.

Probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen. My favorite part was where he reached down to adjust the valve.

I’ve seen YouTubers that have shot cylinders with guns. when they are penetrated, they get a hole, they don’t shred. My guess is “exploded” was more about a broken valve than a failed cylinder. A non diver’s description of what the police told him and then translated to another language may give a broad spectrum of descriptions

Probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen. My favorite part was where he reached down to adjust the valve.

I’ve seen YouTubers that have shot cylinders with guns. when they are penetrated, they get a hole, they don’t shred. My guess is “exploded” was more about a broken valve than a failed cylinder. A non diver’s description of what the police told him and then translated to another language may give a broad spectrum of descriptions
No kidding! Some people act like dumbassery is a virtue.

Looks like something I would have attempted when I was 12 (today, definitely not) :facepalm:

Fortunately, cherry bombs, M80s, and M250s were enough to satisfy my appetite for destruction. M1000s (supposedly a stick of dynamite) was just too spendy for me.

Mythbusters covered this a while ago :oops:
Too bad they screwed it up.
Myth was a CO2 bottle at a concession stand. 100# shooting out at 1000PSI. Instead they were shooting off bottle of air, 10# of gas and probably 2400 PSI.

Back in middle school we used those tiny CO2 cartridges to race cars down the hallway in shop class. Those were just a few grams of CO2

Back
Top Bottom