Scuba a dying sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving in high school and got certified iin college (yeah..I know...it was a different era) and I am one of the few of my cohort in college that still dives a lot.

The only people who come close to 40 or 50 somethings in terms of discretionary income are teen and 20 somethings who have not yet taken on adult bills and responsibilities. In the 70's and 80's a young diver could go to the local shop, buy inexpensive but still safe and useable used tanks, reg and BC and get into diving for a fraction of the cost of buying new equipment. That option is harder to find now as few shops deal in used gear - and in doing so miss the opportunity to sell off the old rental stuff and hook a young diver on diving in the process - and in turn have him come back for new gear later. The closest divers can come to finding that is on the internet - but that comes at the expense of building a relationship with the local dive shop and in fact can impede it as most shops get their noses bent out of joint if a diver comes in with on-line purchases. Manufacturers need to recognize this and come up with ways to control on-line sales while offereng good discounts to new divers to ensure the relationships get put back into diving.

Part of the problem though are all the things competing for the discretionary income of those same young people - Ipods, Cell Phones, video games, etc, etc, etc. For a young person to choose scuba, they have to give up some of the things their peers see as staple items.

And the sport did get easier and dumbed down over the last 25 years. When I started diving it was still very cool and influenced by Sea Hunt and other TV shows and movies that made diving seem exciting. Yesterday at lunch I got to listen to an overweight middle aged man with more money than skill two tables away talk about his guided dives at Bikini. Beyond the life is not fair thing, it sent the message that anyone can dive, so it is not special at all - not a real attraction for the young.

There has also been a decline in local diving. Local diving used to be the heart of diving and local groups offerred regular social activities in addition to the diving. People now expect caribbean quality visibility and warm water and refuse to dive in fresh water let alone appreciate what it has to offer. Similarly, shops are much more commercially focused and and are not the freindly places they used to be where a new or even prospective diver could just hang out and become accepted.

Instead, the industry moved away from that model to promote diving as a destination sport - and that change and the money to be made was the motive for dumbing down the physical and intellectual requirements of the OW cert to allow anyone with the money and limited time to become a diver and make one or two expensive dive trips per year.

To some extent you see some of that past appeal for the younger diver in some locations with extensive technical diving, but the downside of that is that many of those young and still in need of maturation divers would have benefitted more from additional OW diving in a more "exciting" package before moving too soon into the stuff that can really kill them.

I suspect the future of diving is in technical diving with a decline in the normal recreational diving unless the dive industry does something to revive local diving.

it sounds like there are some actual stats on a thread next door -as an observation :
i just did my OW certification in november - i did the pool session in august - i'm in my mid 40's - for the pool dives , i was part of the minority along with two other people closer to my age - the rest of the class an easy dozen - were in their early to mid 20's.
my open water dive was similar-again - i was the old guy.
as for scuba keeping up...due to time restraints with work and family, i did the theoretical portion of the course online - now , i REALLY dont think that this type of training is for everyone - it suited me very well, i had the time to go over the material and learn it at my pace, re-read and study again -i got near perfect score on my test - i say this because - although i dont believe this type (online theoretical) of training is for everyone - it IS the type of thing that indicates to me that SCUBA is continuing to try to reach the younger minded 'get it NOW' generation.
the next step though is to make sure instructors can get the time required for these online learners who may have neglected some of the theoretical stuff in their online learning (you cant cheat the tests - so you need to know the answers to the questions . period) to assure that the information was actually LEARNED rather than finding the answers in the book.
no - i dont think SCUBA is dieing - i think methods need to continue to be found to attract the next newest generations. just a point of view unfounded by actual facts of any type though... ! marc

i had the time to go over the material and learn it at my pace, re-read and study again -i got near perfect score on my test

The problem is that most people don't do this, especially the younger people. They show up and then get the "deer in the headlights" look when I say that there will be a test at the end of the class session.

I got certified at 11, and had my parents to foot the bill for me. Then I stopped diving for a while through high school and college, partially due to time, and partially due to money. Now I'm now 26, and out of college and working full time, and I have to make some concessions to be able to afford to dive as much as I like, and to be able to afford to pursue tech diving to be able to actually take advantage of the dive sites at my door step (great lakes wrecks).

I just returned from my first dive trip to San Andres, and aside from myself and my gf, there was only one other person our age on the trip, and I believe his parents paid at least part of his way as a christmas gift. Heck, I'm still paying off that trip and will be at least into late January.

When I talk to my friends about diving, at least 75% of them have some degree of interest in it, but are afraid of the expense involved. Some are still in school pursuing a graduate degree, and will likely be able to afford it later, some are buying homes or having children and dont have the disposable income. But what it seems to come down to with my age bracket, is the lack of finances, and not the lack of interest. As I said, I have to make a lot of concessions to be able to dive as much as I do. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Jim

I would suppose that the idea that much of the world's reefs may be gone in 40 years would be impetus enough to keep and get people into the sport. I know it has been a large factor for me. I want to see the beauty before its gone--and hopefully contribute to slowing the process in some small way.

Cheers,
Doug

SCUBA isn't dying, but we aren't retaining nearly as many folks as we should. We're tossing them out there so poorly prepared that they don't feel safe, so they don't continue diving.
I agree this is happening. I am one of those poorly prepared people but, I wont quit. It's not in my nature.

The only reason you generally see older people diving here is due to the cost. Its far from cheap which means younger people really cant afford it.
Also has absolutely nothing to do with training standards or feeling safe. None what so ever.

Most teenagers/early 20s and so on cant afford to spend $1500 on diving gear then on average $110 or so per day to go diving very often. People with established jobs can afford to spend more so dive more.

I agree that money is probably a main factor for people wanting to get into the sport. I was first interested in Diving when I was about 10 years old and saw a LDS near my mother's office. We were a middle class family where both parents had to work, so it definately wasn't an option for me.

Later in life I had other interests/hobbies, but came back around to Scuba when I learned my supervisor at work was a certified diver. I talked to him about getting certified and he said it would cost me about $700 each for my wife and I to get certified, so it again went onto the back burner. Only when I had the opportunity to be involved in a work related program where my emloyer paid for the course and provided the equipment was I able to become certified.

Since receiving my certification I have purchased my own mask/snorkel combination, but the rest of my gear is provided by my employer. Slowly I will be purchasing my own equipment so that someday I will not need to rely on my employers gear anymore. Not having to pay a rental fee for equipment or pay for airfills helps get me to the water more often.

Now, if I could find somebody who could do something about the cold water temps in the winter time...

The problem is that most people don't do this, especially the younger people. They show up and then get the "deer in the headlights" look when I say that there will be a test at the end of the class session.
I saw the same thing teaching college classes - students wanted good grades just for showing up and then got upset and complained if you instead gave them the "C" or "D" they really earned.

The current generation of kids was raised in an era where it was felt that boosting self esteem was important - and this was done by giving people rewards essentially for participating rather than really achieving something. Higher levels of self esteem did not develop as that is something that really does have to come from the knowledge and satisfaction of achieving something real, but an entitlement attitude DID result from that approach. Millennial students are used to getting good grades just for showing up and they are used to getting it there way when they want it. Neither is very compatible with good scuba training, but none the less is the expectation is that if you show up and pay your money you will get the card and unfortunately that is often the case.

The irony is that this approach, fueled by an industry desire tio increase the number of divers means that once that poorly trained diver hits the water for real they often do poorly and/or scare themselves and drop out of the sport. And dropping is no big deal as many new divers never really feel all that invested in the accomplishment as the standards are low.

Now, if I could find somebody who could do something about the cold water temps in the winter time...
If you can't beat it enjoy it.

he local dive shops (South Dakota - where it gets REALLY fricking cold) used to hold winter dive events and a new years day dive. These were not targeted at dry suited ice divers but rather at normal 7mm wet suit owning open water divers who would do one or more dives in the 35 degree flowing open water sections of the river and enjoy the challenge, the cold and the mutual "suffering". It was a lot of fun and the shops would all contribute prizes like masks, regs, fins, tanks, etc that were awarded based on numbers written on old vinyl 45 rpm records (obtained for free from the local radio station) tossed frisbee like into the water the night before (golf balls work great too).

Maybe divers were different then, but cold water and less than perfect viz were just challenges that made diving more rewarding and in turn more enjoyable - the "self esteem through genuine accomplishment" theme again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom