Scuba a dying sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BY DEFINITION, SCUBA is a sport. Geeez, get a dictionary and read it. You guys would argue to h--- freezes over, it is in black and white----BY DEFINITION---SCUBA is a sport.

The English language does evolve, that's a fact. Just think of all of the new terms used today due to political correctness.

Diving is a sport?

New terms are not the reason I posed this hyjack. Just because the IOC now considers chess a sport is not reason enough for me to consider chess a sport, although it may be enough for a dictionary. Just because ESPN considers texas hold-um to be a sport is not reason enough for me to consider texas hold-um a sport.

There was some dictionary that was the first to include scuba as a sport, or use sport in the definition of scuba, but the year before scuba was not "by definition" a sport. It may very well come to be that the printed definition of marriage will change to "2 people" but I will remember when the printed definition was "man and woman."

I contend that calling something a sport does not neccessarily make something a sport, even if dictionaries are doing the calling. What it shows is that our ignorant use of a word is so widespread as to be common usage. I wish I could say it ain't so :shakehead:

Perhaps one of the reasons scuba is suffering is because so many people confusingly use the term sport when discussing scuba. :rofl3:

Perhaps one of the reasons scuba is suffering is because so many people confusingly use the term sport when discussing scuba. :rofl3:

Sport or not, who really cares? Whatever it's classified as, I just like doing it.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom