Scuba a dying sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cant believe you guys are actually arguing the point if diving is a sport or not... First of all, it was a phrase in my post, to take it out of content my god, is it really that important....lol...too funny

I think it's all in good spirit. :) But sorry to sidetrack off topic.

I don't think diving is 'dying'. I think the industry as a whole will be impacted by the current economy since it's in a leisure activity kind of category and these are the types of things people scale back on when they are watching their finances. But it's not going to go away.

I cant believe you guys are actually arguing the point if diving is a sport or not... First of all, it was a phrase in my post, to take it out of content my god, is it really that important....lol...too funny
It wasn't your post...

Good points all, quite scary actually.

- and yes my friends and I have noticed the trend for years, especially the older firends that were instructors and have athletic sons.

We frequenty discuss how little interest our children have in SCUBA. We have active, athletic sports playing kids, but it seems like they have too much going on to overcome the pull of being with their friends and other social activities.

Being the ripe old age of 61 and having grown up in Miami I was a skin diver while a tyke and first tried compressed air in 1962. Thinking back, a lot of it had to do with the lack of other activities available to us. Today the youth live in a blender, with all sorts of things going on 24-7.

No doubt the computer plays a big part, but I cannot help thinking that the general changes in todays society and dynamic plays a large part. A lot of issues are converging to cause the change. Having money and time is LARGE part.

As far as adults play into this, I always notice those that do have the time, do not have the money and those with the money ( are working too hard ) do not have the time.

My 2 psi says that it might have to do with what areas different age groups goes..

When I was in Cancun last year (also diving cozumel) most of the people on the boats was in their 20s and 30s. This year I was in Sharm El Sheikh and the same story there, most people that was on the boats I went with was in their 20s and 30s..

Diving is going to be just fine. The dive industry as it stands....not so much.

I'm a early 30's diver, and I see very few people my age signing up for what the dive industry spends all it's time marketing. The divers I do know in their 30's aren't signing up for group trips, relaxing destinations, or follow the leader dives in the tropics. They are signing up for dives (and training) where they get some sense of exploration and/or adventure. They are going out on their own to explore local spots and organize trips that are not the kinds advertised in the glossy mags and trade shows.

Diving as a recreational activity HAS to compete with activities like mountain biking and skiing. As long as they are busy squabbling and competing inside the dive industry, other recreational activities will take time and money from them.

There is a decent cohort of 30-40 year old divers who spend the kind of money or recreation it takes to be involved in diving. They don't like the product being advertised by the dive industry. The current product has too much pampering and not enough adventure. The dive industry is losing those people to other 'sports'.

Sticker shock is part of the problem, I think. There is affordable dive gear out there, but too many shops highlight the top of the line. When's the last time a new diver was pointed to an entry level regulator, or a beginners BC for any reason other than it's all they can afford? It happens all the time with bikes and skis. In diving, it's 'how much is your life worth', you really need the top of the line stuff'.

A local bike shop, for example, makes low margins on bikes. They make much more on service and smaller dollar stuff. It encourages them to get people riding something and then stick with the sport. The dive industry doesn't have the same set of incentives.

:admingreet:Ooooo :admingreet: Ooooo pick me pick me....:admingreet:I know the answer!
Scuba is a dying sport! If ya don't do it right ... you'll be dying Sport! :acclaim:

I hate to tell you but all of these are also hobbies... there is no sport in any of them.

What they all really are is activities. And by the way... Webster is not the end all be all of the english language... but perhaps you and cdreamer can get together and have a "Lets Make Scuba a Sport" blowout party...

You know her boss told her to stay off the computer... apparently I have to let him know what she's up to again : )

I don't know why on earth you would want to argue whether diving is a sport or
hobby. You must have alot of time on your hands. As far as my boss telling me
to stay off the computer, you don't know what you're talking about, because I
run this shop and I can use the computer anytime I please. :mooner::mooner:
Maybe you should stay off the computer seeing how well liked you are around
here.

yes, has a lot to do with finances AND raising kids. i couldnt afford it, nor take the time for scuba diving, until i was 42, and have been diving ever since, and love it more and more and I'm now 54! living so close to ocean is not a bad thing either, and now that I spearfish, I get $$back in fish and lobsters! Spearit

Money?

Yes it is a HUGE issue, I think the social issues are stronger however because here in South Miami I encounter teens and early 20's that have nice boats (that they are allowed to use) hanging off the davits in the back of their parents houses. The households have all sorts of gear and nearby availability of compressed air, nitrox and all manner of mixed gas available as well as parents that are either instructors or highly experienced divers..... and they still have little or no interest.

They seem to prefer to limit their boating to parking on the various sandbars and socializing w/ friends. Seems they just cannot get excited about things that interested their parents or do not take advantages of their fortunate circumstances

yes, has a lot to do with finances AND raising kids. i couldnt afford it, nor take the time for scuba diving, until i was 42, and have been diving ever since, and love it more and more and I'm now 54! living so close to ocean is not a bad thing either, and now that I spearfish, I get $$back in fish and lobsters! Spearit
Theres basically three things that would stop my diving trips;
1. Family - Would take much time and finances away from my trips, but be rewarding in other ways.
2. Becoming unemployed
3. Working a schedule less compliant with me going somewhere just because it seems like a good idea at the moment.

Money "never" where an issue as Ive been working since I where 18, except from a couple of years in the beginning of this milennium as I was in uni..

Back
Top Bottom