SBP Superflow hoses vs other’s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, certain models of SP second stage regulators not only have the splined nut on the hose, but also on a second nut that secures the air barrel in the regulator. So, if you are intending to self-service, you will be needing the spline wrench (unless you can locate/secure an aftermarket jam nut).....

The nut for the hose (blue arrow) is under that shroud, and the red is the air barrel nut. Both are spline nuts....
1645810276333.png

There are different philosophies regarding how hoses are attached, but you don't "finger tight" the air barrel nut, and do snug it up.....

The nut for the hose (blue arrow) is under that shroud, and the red is the air barrel nut. Both are spline nuts....View attachment 709113
There are different philosophies regarding how hoses are attached, but you don't "finger tight" the air barrel nut, and do snug it up.....

What Grommet said.

That being said, certain models of SP second stage regulators not only have the splined nut on the hose, but also on a second nut that secures the air barrel in the regulator. So, if you are intending to self-service, you will be needing the spline wrench (unless you can locate/secure an aftermarket jam nut).....

Thanks for the tip. My reg of choice for twins/XR is the Scubapro MK19EVO/G260. Two of those. Additionally I intend to get an Apeks DS4 for Singles/Stage bottles. So the idea is that when not doing doubles/sidemount/XR, I swap one hose+2nd stage from the MK19s to the DS4 as secondary Octo while the DS4/XTX50 will be my primary single tank/stage reg.

I expect more at least 60% of my diving to be tourist/singles kind in the mid term at least. But it is expected that I carry all regs on vacation and plan at least 40% of dives for advanced/XR/doubles and training courses hence I think I will need to swap more frequently than rarely.

PS: I don’t intend to self-service, but I am thinking I don’t want to struggle at field locations on-site with less than suitable tools… or ask dive shops that reply “sorry we are an AL only shop don’t have tools for SBP”… so if you saying just hose changing can be a done without the tool even for the G260 which looks like it has two splined nuts, then I could probably skip it.

so if you saying just hose changing can be a done without the tool even for the G260 which looks like it has two splined nuts, then I could probably skip it.

I am saying if you need to remove splined hoses you should have a spline wrench. If you are going to swap out the hoses when you get it for something else, and don't want to own a spline wrench for it, have the shop you are purchasing the regulators from remove the hoses for you when you pick them up, and then put your own (non-spline) hoses on it yourself with a simple wrench of appropriate size (or whatever you want to do in regard to the level of tightness you desire)...

Two questions:

1. Who is "SBP"?
2. What is "XR" [configuration]?

In 30+ years of certification/diving, I'm unfamiliar with either of these.....

Two questions:

1. Who is "SBP"?
2. What is "XR" [configuration]?

In 30+ years of certification/diving, I'm unfamiliar with either of these.....
SBP - ScubaPro
XR - Extended Range diving

I have been diving exclusively Apeks for about 24yrs and servicing them myself(20yrs). No need to buy any special tool whatsoever.
Extremely DIY friendly.

What is wrong with rubber hose?
It is your money but don't waste it.

I've always know them to be "SP", what is the "B" for? :confused:
Scuu.. Baa.. Pro.. guess I’m the black sheep here for my non-standard acronym… 🙃

Back
Top Bottom