SBP Superflow hoses vs other’s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,
I am looking at getting a SBP MK19EVO/G260 set that only comes in standard hose lengths. I want to convert to a long hose primary donate setup (5ft). But the Dealer doesn’t have hoses from SBP. I see that SBP is advertising its hoses as something special - a smoothbore for “increased airflow” that they call “superflow”. In fact I don’t see any stock of these hoses in my country. How special are these hoses really or is it just brand marketing gimmick, and can I just go with whatever’s there from any other brand locally? Also looking at the connectors, do I need to purchase additional tool for torquing the 2nd stage and is it available online?

Thanks

Hey folks,
I am looking at getting a SBP MK19EVO/G260 set that only comes in standard hose lengths. I want to convert to a long hose primary donate setup (5ft). But the Dealer doesn’t have hoses from SBP. I see that SBP is advertising its hoses as something special - a smoothbore for “increased airflow” that they call “superflow”. In fact I don’t see any stock of these hoses in my country. How special are these hoses really or is it just brand marketing gimmick, and can I just go with whatever’s there from any other brand locally? Also looking at the connectors, do I need to purchase additional tool for torquing the 2nd stage and is it available online?

Thanks

Well,

Down deep you want the best

Right?

PT Barnum would be proud

I dive mk19evo/g260 with a scubaforce longhose. Cant feel any difference..

My Mk19evo/G260 has a 48" hose from dive gear express with a 90degree swivel from them as well...don't worry about their marketing. I found for single tank rec diving the 48" was adequate for me under the right arm

Having said all that; just get regular hoses that are easy to remove and replace and forget about the propriety hoses that SP sells. Maxflow, Superflow, BigFlow-they can call them whatever they want, but when the gas gets to the fixed sized orifice it finds the real restriction.

Find hoses that are the exact length you need for your chosen hose routing.

The SP hoses are no better than any other in terms of flow. The 'medium pressure' ports have the same pressure as any other LP port. It's all hype and misdirection. Regarding the tool, there is a special splined SP tool that is used to remove and replace the hose to the 2nd stage, and at least on the older SP 2nd stages that same splined tool is used on the jam nut on the 2nd stage, so you use the tool to remove that for servicing the 2nd stage. But you don't really need it to replace the hose with a standard hose, just use a pair of pliers with some padding to prevent the splines from getting damaged. Hopefully the hose isn't on too tight, so you can remove it without stressing or loosening the jam nut. If it's really tight, then you need two sets of padded pliers. I have the SP tool but on occasion I've still had to use a pair of pliers in conjunction with the tool to remove an overly-tight, corroded hose fitting.

I have never used a torque setting for the hose, in fact I've never known anyone else to either. Just snug enough to not come apart in use. Some old-school technical divers would keep that fitting hand tight only to allow for removing and replacing a 2nd stage underwater. I personally don't do that, but it's barely a tug with the wrench.

Having said all that; just get regular hoses that are easy to remove and replace and forget about the propriety hoses that SP sells. Maxflow, Superflow, BigFlow-they can call them whatever they want, but when the gas gets to the fixed sized orifice it finds the real restriction.
Thanks for the confirmation. In my country on a quick online search I found what was a Chinese brand called Aquatec. Hope they are as good as the other reputed ones? I intend to go for rubber hoses since I intend to get 2.1mtr in preparation for more advanced diving courses in the coming years.

PS: Is it ok to not use black hose for primary but say Red to match my Wing? (This was answered in the positive before in another thread but when going Tech are there stricter conventions)?
The SP hoses are no better than any other in terms of flow. The 'medium pressure' ports have the same pressure as any other LP port. It's all hype and misdirection. Regarding the tool, there is a special splined SP tool that is used to remove and replace the hose to the 2nd stage, and at least on the older SP 2nd stages that same splined tool is used on the jam nut on the 2nd stage, so you use the tool to remove that for servicing the 2nd stage. But you don't really need it to replace the hose with a standard hose, just use a pair of pliers with some padding to prevent the splines from getting damaged. Hopefully the hose isn't on too tight, so you can remove it without stressing or loosening the jam nut. If it's really tight, then you need two sets of padded pliers. I have the SP tool but on occasion I've still had to use a pair of pliers in conjunction with the tool to remove an overly-tight, corroded hose fitting.
Thanks. The dealer has offered me the original Scubapro tool as well just waiting for the pricing quote to come the following Monday. It is unfortunately 2x the cost of the American one of Scuba-tools.
I have never used a torque setting for the hose, in fact I've never known anyone else to either. Just snug enough to not come apart in use. Some old-school technical divers would keep that fitting hand tight only to allow for removing and replacing a 2nd stage underwater. I personally don't do that, but it's barely a tug with the wrench.
Interesting. So there is no risk of leaking or hose coming off when underwater if hose is not tightened to the specified torque?

Interesting. So there is no risk of leaking or hose coming off when underwater if hose is not tightened to the specified torque?

None whatsoever. The pressure from the tank makes everything tight. I never more than finger tighten my hoses or regs.

None whatsoever. The pressure from the tank makes everything tight. I never more than finger tighten my hoses or regs.
So then I need not buy the Scubapro proprietary tool for >100$ just to reconfigure my hoses (backmount/sidemount/singles). Just use a padded wrench and spanner to undo the factory tightened original hoses and rely on finger-tightened connections….

Whomever you are buying the regulators from (shop) can remove the OEM/Factory hoses at your request, and hand you your regulators as individual pieces (and that should be at no additional cost). You then can put your hoses of choice on your regulators with whatever tools you need, and not have the splined SP tool lying around for no purpose...

Back
Top Bottom