SB Member Littlejohn in critical condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was John using his tanks or the dive shops tanks????

John was using his own HP120's that he brought already filled. I don't know for sure that he owned them, but he talked as if he did. In any case I know they were not filled at Jupiter Dive Center.

>*< Fritz

Fritz, I would just like to say "SUPER JOB" on what you have done for LJ. I hope that if I ever do have a problem that people like you are there to help!

I appreciate the thoughts. However, the irony about all of this is that I really don't know John except as another SB user who posted occasionally. I was simply trying to be a good scuba citizen by posting a trip and looking for anyone else wanting to carpool, and John showed up.

The other irony is that, as my subtitle says, I consider myself basically a solo diver. I'm into photography and even when I dive with a group I treat myself as solo and don't want a dive buddy to worry about or to worry about me. I always have my bailout pony with me nowadays and don't want to be an instructor or a rescuer or anything... I just dive for myself, and it happens that other people are on the same boat and in the same waters. I'm even working towards the SDI Solo Diver certification.

And I don't just dive solo, I live solo, for pretty much the same reasons - I don't want to be responsible for anyone, nor do I want anyone to be responsible for me.

So, now maybe you can understand that for me to have been for a while the only connection the hospital had for John - a guy I had just met - to the rest of the world is just really, truly, absolutely a bizarre experience for me.

But still, I don't think any of us SB'ers would have done much differently. Conscience demands it of us. If any of you found yourself in that position, you would have done the same.

Although, now I'm thinking I'll need my own release form with contact info for anyone who carpools with me in the future... :shocked2:

But now I am kind of out of the loop. His vehicle is safe with me and I'll do anything else to help, but John's family is there with him and it's up to him to pull through now. I truly hope he does, and that we find out what happened so all us divers can avoid a similar event.

>*< Fritz

... maybe you can understand that for me to have been for a while the only connection the hospital had for John - a guy I had just met - to the rest of the world is just really, truly, absolutely a bizarre experience for me.

But still, I don't think any of us SB'ers would have done much differently. Conscience demands it of us. If any of you found yourself in that position, you would have done the same.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate for someone you barely knew.

Ken

First: Sorry if I've hijacked this thread. I don't mean to divert this thread away from John. If anyone is offended, please speak up and I will start another thread.

This actually isn't true. If the need is urgent enough, we use type-specific blood, or even O negative (universal donor) blood.
I stand corrected. I did a poor job of stating my position.

Yes, I did omit that O neg can be used when the specific type is unknown. I did not intend for the reader to believe that they would not be able to receive a transfusion without a T/C.

What I had intended on conveying is that a hospital is not going to give, for instance, type A simply because a person has this written on a medical card (without in-house verification).

I thought that some people might go out of their way (and spend hard earned money) to find out what blood type they are. I simply figured that I would be saving them time and money.

Disclaimer: I'm just a half-wit medic and a new RN grad. If you believe anything I say, God help you.

Last edited:
I was thinking about putting my emergency contact information on my profile here on SB.

I would suggest you keep it with you on the boat or on your person. First of all, no matter how great a job Pete and his group do, this is not a secure site so personal information is available to a sufficiently interested person (not CCard info etc. but anything you have in your profile etc.). Secondly, having it here does no good if you are on a boat or diving with someone not from SB.

Make a tag, buy a tag......get a tag and keep it on your BC or wing......that way it is always where you need it most.

I was thinking about putting my emergency contact information on my profile here on SB.

Personally, I do not think that is a good idea whatsoever. The majority of people here on the board are fantastic, as shown recently with Fritz being a stand-up person, however, do not doubt that there are some shady people about.

I think info on your dive bag, in your car, as well as icing your phone (so important numbers show in red) are all great ideas but throwing info out for public consumption :no:

Last edited:
I think info on your dive bag, in your car, as well as icing your phone (so important numbers show in red) are all great ideas but throwing info out for public consumption :no:

On the diver information form or waiver at the charter is a good place too.

I recently decided that attaching a few custom cards to a new BC was a simple and prudent safety measure after reading about other safety concepts here and at other forums. I felt copying and laminating my DAN card made sense so it could speak for me if I couldn't speak for myself. Similarly, I felt info about possible medical conditions were worth mentioning, as was emergency contact info, and my own contact info (in case my gear is lost for some reason) made sense. That still left one side of a card available and I decided to go with a simple rock bottom gas chart for tanks I am most likely to encounter locally or when vacation diving either for me or possible buddies. I spent about an hour on the computer to gin these up and then about $3 at Kinko's having them laminated. Have no idea about likely life when exposed to saltwater regularly, but given the investment, I don't care. Thought I'd share.

dancard1.jpg

dancard2.jpg

dancard3.jpg

I carry my personal contact information on board in my drybag and tell my buddy, the Capt, or DM where it is if anything should happen to me. Included with my contacts is my Dan card. :palmtree: Bob

My old DAN CARDs and ICE/In Case of Emergency Info printed on wp paper are sealed with clear packing tape to my mask case.

Contrary to popular opinion and viral emails, ICE info on phones is nearly worthless. On scene medics or emts aren't going to waste treatment time going through a cell phone, nor are they going to make sure your phone or wallet is transported with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom