SB Member Littlejohn in critical condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know him, but I truly wish him well and a speedy recovery. It's unfortunate that 'we' learn from the misfortunes of others.

I always carry an information sheet in with my dive log. I bring my log book with me on every dive. Bringing my log book allows rescuers to quickly see what my dive profiles had been (rather than someone trying to figure out my computers).

I always let the DM/boat captain, and my dive buddy know where the sheet is. IMHO, the following info should be on your sheet (FWIW~I'm a paramedic and a nurse):

Full name
Date of birth
Social Security number
Address
Past medical history
Allergies
Medications currently being taken
*Putting your blood type on a card is pointless as no hospital in their right mind would do a transfusion without first doing a type and cross.

Name of your primary physician, name of the clinic along with the address/phone number
Phone number to DAN (919/684-8111)
Emergency contacts (at least 2), which includes their name, address, home/cell/work phone numbers.

Photo copy of my medical insurance card (If you have any additional insurances, include these).
Name of the resort you are staying at along with their address, phone number, and what room number you are staying in.

The SS# is important for accessing medical information. As a medic, I collect it on virtually all calls I go on. The information can be accessed without the number, but it just takes more time and more resources.

I would also like to add that I learned the hard way about ID. Now most of us have our cell phones with us all the time, Even on a dive boat. In my phonebook internal to the phone, By my wifes name is (WIFE) and by my moms name (MOM) etc. You get the idea.

We had a very bad car wreck in front of my place of business, When myself and two others arrived in the middle of the street after a 2 vehicle head on collision with both vehicles traveling around 50 mph it was not pretty. We had to just scroll through the victims recent call lists and start calling people. Both drivers needed someone to meet them at the hospital as they were both unconscious and critical per the EMS guys.
Slightly off topic, and irrelevant in this case (as his phone was unavailable), but the (WIFE) and (MOM) thing would still require some scrolling to find.

What is (slowly) becoming an international standard is ICE (In Case of Emergency) and paramedics will look if your phone has that listing first. For instance, I have ICE - WIFE as one listing, which contains all her numbers and email + street addresses. You could, of course, also have an ICE - MOM listing! Easy to set up, easy for emergency personnel to locate and works for non-diving emergencies too.

CRARACER,

You wrote:

"*Putting your blood type on a card is pointless as no hospital in their right mind would do a transfusion without first doing a type and cross."

Totally agree if you're diving in the U.S or another 1st world country. But a lot of us don't, so it's probably better to indicate it anyway. Just my thoughts!

Trish

There is just too much here that isn't consistent with DCS, even with a PFO.

I'm no expert, but it sounds exactly like DCS to me, tingling fingers are a dead give away. Nausea is also a clue, but it can be a symptom of DCS as well as a heart problem. My guess would be that the added stess of DCS triggered an undiagnosed heart condition that complicated things. But, that's just a guess...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

"*Putting your blood type on a card is pointless as no hospital in their right mind would do a transfusion without first doing a type and cross."

This actually isn't true. If the need is urgent enough, we use type-specific blood, or even O negative (universal donor) blood.

Tingling fingers are mildly suggestive of DCS (but can also occur with hyperventilation, which is something people sometimes do when they feel subjectively short of breath). The profiles, the course, and the lack of response to treatment are suggestive of something else.

I sure do wish Littlejohn all the best & a quick recovery.
But I do want to point out something I do when I come close to DECO on my computer, which by the way I do a lot as I want as much time in the water as possible. We don't get to dive as often as some of you lucky folks in Florida.
This is for all non- DECO planned dives, for DECO I follow V-Planner on a +4 rating.
I always do a 1/2 depth stop for 3 min. & then I stay at my 15ft stop until my computer returns to Green in the Nitrogen loading graph, have 2 Yellow dots in between Green & RED (DECO) after the 1st dive. Then will not surface after the 2nd dive (& final dive of the day)with at least having just 1 Yellow dot & generally wait for the turn to Green.
My wife hates this as the hang is boring, but she does this for me & understands why I insist upon it. I am TDI Advance Nitrox / Deco procedure cert, she is not. The 1 time I will win an arguement with her.

The ICE (In Case of Emergency) can be used for any type of emergency, not just when we are on vacation.

When I run an international trip I ask the partcipants to not only give an emergency contact name & number but also an e-mail address.

We used the e-mail address part when we were in Little Cayman and had to stay a day longer than anticipated due to a hurricane and the phones were not readily available.

Everyone thought it was a great idea and those receiving the e-mails were happy to be updated.

Back
Top Bottom