SB Member Littlejohn in critical condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what info do they put on the DAN tag?

Social Sec #
Date of birth
Blood type
Allergies
Primary Doctor
Pri-Doc phone - Day & Nite
Emergency contact
Emer con phone - Day & Nite
Health insurance & policy number

For the social I only list the last 4 digits since that's enough for someone to verify they have the correct person.

On the reverse side of the tag is:

Your name
Your DAN #
DAN's emergency phone number

Dive computers will also not prevent embolisms created by the diver simply holding their breath during ascent, which may have been a key factor in this incident.

NO it was not. The rest of your post I agree with and appreciate the reminder :) Just that one point was far from correct.

NO it was not. The rest of your post I agree with and appreciate the reminder :) Just that one point was far from correct.

Hmm, perhaps I'm missing something. Here is what I based that part of my post on:

Apparently, the scans showed John had a massive undiagnosed cancerous mass in his liver. However, all the immediate damage was caused by a pulmonary embolism (and the resulting clots interfering with blood flow to the brain), most likely triggered by a mild DCS hit.

Which I take to mean arterial gas embolism (because of the context, diving). The most common cause of which, is the diver holding their breath. While it's true that the gas bubbles produced by nitrogen bubbles can also cause/contribute to a pulmonary embolism, I'm guessing based on the info given (he was not in deco) and the stats on causes (most likely to be one and not the other). My uneducated guess about breath holding seems at least as likely as pure dcs.

I'm not trying to fault anyone (especially the diver), or argue with you, just letting you know what my thoughts were based on. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, so I'm happy to be corrected if my assumptions are flawed.

Hmm, perhaps I'm missing something. Here is what I based that part of my post on:

Which I take to mean arterial gas embolism (because of the context, diving). The most common cause of which, is the diver holding their breath. While it's true that the gas bubbles produced by nitrogen bubbles can also cause/contribute to a pulmonary embolism, I'm guessing based on the info given (he was not in deco) and the stats on causes (most likely to be one and not the other). My uneducated guess about breath holding seems at least as likely as pure dcs.

I'm not trying to fault anyone (especially the diver), or argue with you, just letting you know what my thoughts were based on. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, so I'm happy to be corrected if my assumptions are flawed.

Yep, yep no worries. :) Here is the post by TSandM that explains that: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3946449-post73.html Also Fritz surfaced with John and the DM on the second dive and stated everything was pretty normal. And I wish I could play a doc on tv. I think often they make more than our real docs :wink:

As TSandM mentioned, malignancies are often associated with the development of blood clots, totally unrelated to diving. This may have been a mild DCS event triggering a cascade of events or simply he had a DVT (blood clot) from the associated malignancy that picked that particular day to break loose and result in a pulmonary embolism. That type of event could have happened diving, golfing, grocery shopping, etc. It doesn't matter now, however. May he rest in peace. And if there is any comfort in this at all, at least he died doing something he loved. We should all be so lucky. Again, my condolences to all of his family and friends. I never knew him, but it sounds like we've lost a wonderful man.

Back
Top Bottom