SB Member Littlejohn in critical condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for those of you with iPhones, there are several ICE apps available.
on your home page you have an ICE/emergency logo.
Mine has a cross logo and the word ICE.

when the applications launch your past medical history is displayed, medications you take, along with contacts, DNR info, etc. Most of these apps are pretty well done. One even has a "show nearby hospitals" button that automatically launches maps and displays them.

For those of you that want your ice info on top of your address book listing it as "-InCaseOfEmergency" should keep it up top. I used "2008InCaseOfEMERGENCY"

I have never heard of anything called I.C.E. pertaining to a cell phone. I am a blackberry (newer) user and was not aware of any application like that. Nor had I ever heard of anybody ever putting a number in referencing the acronym I.C.E.....good idea. I already have my DAN tag on my BC but the I.C.E. phone numbers is a good idea (when referenced accordingly).

If you have any medical condition, no matter how small, a medic alert tag is a great way for the hospital to get ALL the information.

You can update the information at any time on the web. The hospital will have meds, medical conditions, emergency contacts, your personal physicians information, etc. with one phone call.

Keep praying for Littlejohn...

John

I just found out that my wife's phone, after sitting idle for some time, goes into a locked mode. She uses a 4 digit code to unlock the phone.

If you have your phone security coded, make sure you disable it before you get to a dive site so that 1st responders can access it if need be.

I just found out that my wife's phone, after sitting idle for some time, goes into a locked mode. She uses a 4 digit code to unlock the phone.

If you have your phone security coded, make sure you disable it before you get to a dive site so that 1st responders can access it if need be.

The same goes for racing and trackdays! :wink:

I use my phone's address book and have three numbers listed

ICE MOM-Axxxx xxx-xxx-xxxx
ICE Friend Cxxxx xxx-xxx-xxxx
ICE Neighor Cxxxx xxx-xxx-xxxx

That way they have access to my family, close friend and neighor who knows how to get into my house to car for my animals. Also if one isn't available to help perhaps another one will be.

I missed that in my first read. Thanks. I am going to get some ID to keep on my person when I am diving. That was a very round-about way to contact his family and my thanks go out to your for your efforts.
I don't leave my house without wearing my dogtag with my daughter's contact info and some other details.
I ordered a DAN tag today after reading this thread. Better to have it and not need it ...
And always wear my DAN tag on my BC. Worth every penny. My regular dive bud just ties his dog tag to his; better than nothing.

I have never heard of anything called I.C.E. pertaining to a cell phone. I am a blackberry (newer) user and was not aware of any application like that. Nor had I ever heard of anybody ever putting a number in referencing the acronym I.C.E.....good idea. I already have my DAN tag on my BC but the I.C.E. phone numbers is a good idea (when referenced accordingly).
I posted a thread on that a year or two ago when I heard of it but many emergency responders said they'd never look in there. Maybe it's caught on more. Couldn't hurt at all, in addition to other contact cards and tags.

Sad news from the other thread...
I just talked to John's brother. As of about 2:00pm today, John is no longer with us. He had devastating neurological damage to his brain, which apparently the docs think was from a massive blood pressure loss due to a clot in his lungs.

Becky (speargirl) may post more information in a bit, including plans for a memorial service for John next Saturday.

John's brother extended his gratitude for everyone in the Florida diving community for all their support, he said John's mother had no clue how many divers knew John and how active he was in this community.

When we got back on the boat after what turns out to have been John's last dive, he told me how much he enjoyed the dives that day and that he was glad he made it down to Jupiter. On the drive down there, all John talked about was diving and how much he was into it. So, John went out doing something he truly loved.

Peace to all.

>*< Fritz
Very sorry to hear of the loss.

Thot I'd come to this thread to ask about possible reasons for such clots...??

I am late the thread and wish to express my sincere condolences as well.

With limited information, I can make some observations about blood clots, DD. I am an orthopedic surgeon and we are always concerned about clots developing in the legs after surgery or trauma. There have been reports of clots developing after long plane flights, extended times in a bent position (ie long car ride), dehydration and even minor trauma. Some patients are predisposed to this condition, having had "phlebitis" before, genetics, etc. The clot forms most often in the leg below the knee. This then serves as a seed for the clot to enlarge and move proximal (up the leg). If it becomes large enough, it can break off and then move to the lungs, called a pulmonary embolus. If it is large enough, it is called a saddle embolus and can result in death. I have been witness to one in a young (38) male who broke his ankle. He needed casting alone. He had a several day history of dry hacking cough (which in retrospect might have been small bits of clot showering the lungs) and then he had a saddle embolus which he did not survive. I am not aware of diving being a risk factor, other than getting dehydrated. The list is by no means exhaustive, and I do not want to upset any of John's family, but I do think this is something we all need to think about.

Some might ask what do I do to try and protect myself. On plane flights>4 hours, I try to get up every 30-45 minutes and walk around. I take one aspirin at the start of the longer segment. If I had a >8 hour flight segment, I might consider repeating the Aspirin and I have thought about compression stockings, since I personally get swelling in my legs. What I did not mention was hydration. I try to avoid significant alcohol the night before flying, and hydrate like crazy. Air in planes is more humidified than tank air, but not that much. I try to drink fairly constantly and will carry a water bottle for that purpose. I hope this info helps. If others have other tricks they have learned, I would be happy to learn them.
Bob

Thanks Bob. I survived a painful lower leg clot a few years ago that I'd shrugged off as a sore muscle for days and still went diving over the weekend. Know a little about such. Some of us are luckier than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom