"Save a Dive" kit check list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know people have posted their list of items they take in their spares kit. But I have been unable to find the posts by searching-probably because I am using the wrong terminology.

Anyway I am heading out for a week long dive trip in a few days and was trying to put together my own kit. I was wondering if any of you knew a link to the previous threads or could paste a copy of your own list.

Thanks,

'bob

If it is going to be on a dive boat I would say less is more. I have seen these huge kits come on boat with everything but the kitchen sink. They get in the way more than they help. I would say, more important than a save-a-dive kit would be, having a predive-save-a-dive checklist. Meaning make sure everything works before leaving the dock. A few things like place you regulator on the tank with the air off and inhale off each second stage a few times. This negative pressure check makes sure there are no flipped diaphrams or other leaks. There are a buncha other things you can do as well.

That said I usually have a small pelican case in my bag with O-Rings, 3 of the right sized wrenches, 3 of the right size allen, some lubrcant, and outside of that an extra mask (the most often lost thing in my experience.)

I give my Open Water student the following list. I leave in blanks where they can add their own 'stuff'.

SAVE-A-DIVE (SAD) KIT

□ Fin Straps
□ Mask Straps
□ Zip/Cable Ties
□ Nail Clippers (cuts zip ties)
□ O-Rings
□ Waterproof Band-Aids
□ Duct Tape
□ Extra Batteries
□ EMT Shears
□ Silicone Grease (for o-rings)
□ Allen Wrenches
□ Screwdrivers
□ Crescent Wrenches
□ Snorkel Keeper
□ Copy or Extra C-Card
□ Copy of DAN Card
□ Defog
□ Mouthpiece
□ Port Plugs
□ Carabineers/Bolt Snaps
□ Sea-sickness Medication
□
□
□
□
□
□
□
□

Extra batteries for EACH piece of electronics you own! Computers, cameras, lights, senders, et nauseum.

I don't take this with me when I dive, but I keep a big bag full of extras & spares:

Spare gloves, a hood, fin straps, extra fin (its mate was lost somewhere in the marina channel :( ), extra mask, silicon grease, some wrenches, hex wrench multi-tool, small diving slate, some mesh bags of various sizes, extra regulator, some LP hoses, backup batteries for my dive computer, some equipment manuals, O-ring kits, empty weight belt, extra lights, etc.

Depending on what I'm planning on doing, I just rummage through that and accordingly take what I need.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. I guess I should have search "save-a-dive" with dashes and I could of saved you all the trouble in responding.

Bascially, I am not looking to have the most complete kit as I am limited on space for both baggage (thanks to the airlines new policies) and on the boat. Maybe I am wrong but I am assuming that items like tools should be readily available if needed.

I have collected the obvious such as fin strap, mask strap, etc. I am just looking for suggestions for things that I may have overlooked or that may be specific to particular equipment such as a backup battery for my computer etc. The idea for earplugs is also great since it is a Blackbeards trip I am going on. Mainly I am trying to limit it to small items. I guess I will have to take a risk on the larger ones.

‘Bob

Ahh batteries, zip-ties, and duct tape... Those are good items to have...
When putting batteries for a computer into your save-a-dive kit, don't forget to add the jewellers screwdriver if needed to open the case. Several times while out on dive boats I've loaned out my tiny screwdrivers. The boats usually have screwdrivers, but not the tiny, tiny ones that some computers need.

Zip-ties, duct tape, rubber bands, and some velcro straps will fix just about anything. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom