Save-A-Dive for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found it, got a camera bag from the junk shop 8 or 12 bucks

029.JPG

No mean feat finding it, didn't find it here, this is the organised room

054.JPG

Got the comparmentalised boxes from Kmart and somewhere else?

030.JPG

Been trying to build this for almost twenty years I think

034.JPG

So that's where my push bike spanners went

What will you do when the SS1 fails or starts free flowing? And they do fail.

You lose the 2nd stage and your BC. You are adding failure points, not redundancy with that plan.
Yes a SS1 or other inflator 2nd could cause me to have to disconnect power inflator from my BC, but I've had to do that before anyway because of a leaky valve. And there's a backup for that, manual inflation, which would still work.

As mentioned, that would be with a pony and Octo. Don't want to start an integrated octo debate, there are plenty of other threads that have done that.

A 1st or 2nd stage could fail as well. In fact, you could say the same thing about any equipment. A 2nd computer, a backup mask, all of those are adding additional failure points. So they question is if they outweigh the benefits, and each diver has to decide that for themselves.

Yes a SS1 or other inflator 2nd could cause me to have to disconnect power inflator from my BC, but I've had to do that before anyway because of a leaky valve. And there's a backup for that, manual inflation, which would still work.

As mentioned, that would be with a pony and Octo. Don't want to start an integrated octo debate, there are plenty of other threads that have done that.

A 1st or 2nd stage could fail as well. In fact, you could say the same thing about any equipment. A 2nd computer, a backup mask, all of those are adding additional failure points. So they question is if they outweigh the benefits, and each diver has to decide that for themselves.
The failure rate of BC Inflator/2nd stage regs is quite high in my experience. Possibly due to poor maintenance or servicing difficulty, but i have seen these fail at higher rates than other regulators. Not a fan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom