Save-A-Dive for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the O-ring chart. I never would have thought of that. Thanks.

The nail clippers are a great idea also.
I got the idea for the o-ring chart from Captain O-Ring, they have a printable chart for common scuba equipment, as well as standard AS568 sizes. (I couldn't find a good printable metric one to identify the rings for my flashlights, so I just used a ruler/calipers). I then made my own that would fit in this case and included the non-standard rings for my equipment.

Can't claim I had the idea for nail clippers, got that one from these boards. Perfect for clipping zip ties.

I like what you’ve got going here. I struggle with taking too much on such trips. Can I ask where you got the o-ring chart from? I outlined my o-rings, but it’s not great, lol.

Erik
See my above answer, I made it myself. It took a little futzing, but I could post some instructions and there is web-based software that is free if there's interest.

You can see the black line in the bottom right-hand corner, that's designed to be exactly 1" long to validate it printed correctly.

Question: for warm water recreational diving at a resort with an onsite dive shop that I'll be diving with--should I need to worry about a save a dive kit? I would think they'd be able to help servicing things should something go wrong, but I'm not really sure as I've always rented in the past but will be schlepping my own gear this trip.

Similar to what others have stated above, this is for quick resolutions when out on a day trip boat. I also own my own equipment, so it's more my responsibility than rental from a resort/shop.

For a week-long live aboard I'd prob add a few things, such as the wrench I mentioned, and if with a group might even add a spare reg if available.

I've also worked as an instructor, so being ready to replace an o-ring on a yoke valve or tighten a loose hose are simple fixes and teach students to check their equipment, be prepared, and responsible for themselves. Straps break, o-rings get blown off valves, batteries wear out.

For example, those LR44 batteries are for a marker light I have attached to the top of my dSMB, I just keep it rolled up inside. I also have a second constant-on one I will attach to my tank valve when teaching AOW night dives. Makes it easy for people doing their first night dive to see/track me as the instructor. I wouldn't expect to be able to find those in some random shop, so I pack them myself (although only had to replace them once in 4 years).

Side note: ideally don't store batteries (coin, rechargeable, regular) loose so they can randomly touch each other. Might not be able to see, but I have thin cardboard between each row of those LR44s. Can easily drain each other, or worse case cause a fire. I have a simple case for 18650 (flashlight) batteries for the same reason.

While not dive-ending, I like a bit of bungee (2mm-ish), especially if renting. A quick loop will corral the inflator where it's easily accessed. Secure a problematic DSMB, etc.

On one of the other threads someone suggested hair ties for similar reason, would be an easy addition.

For those who are not familiar, the o-ring sizes that are displayed in your photo are standard o-ring "dash" numbers. You can even see the OP has them labelled as -003, -010, etc.

You can buy o-rings directly from o-ring manufacturers. They cost a few pennies for each o-ring.

Exactly, all those dash numbers are the standard AS568 sizes. The 2x21.5 one is metric sizing, numbering is all in mm, so it's 2mm thick ring, and 21.5mm ID (for flashlights).

Another option for O-ring storage is small zip lock bags. Those are designed for pills, so they have an area to write on.

Not an expert, but I'd hazard a guess that storing o-rings out of shape (bend, oval, etc) is prob not ideal for their function.

I wouldn't want to take any chances -- after spending thousands on the trip -- to miss a dive because of a 5 cent o-ring. A SAD kit is targeted at on-boat resolution. Major issues (e.g., internal to a regulator) I would hope the shop can deal with (although some even bring a spare regulator).

If I had a group of four divers going on a distant live-aboard/bucket list trip (Truk lagoon, Galapagos, etc), the cost of one spare reg compared to the $20k+ for the group makes total sense. I wouldn't rely on a live aboard to have spares once away from the dock.

I've considered getting the SS1, keeping my regular Octo (Z2) and diving with three 2nd stages. Since Atomic Octos are exactly the same as the primary 2nd stages, that would basically be a spare 2nd stage.

Also fits into my self-reliant diver setup, as Octo can move to pony bottle when I get a second 1st stage, and then I have all the spares needed.

Question: for warm water recreational diving at a resort with an onsite dive shop that I'll be diving with--should I need to worry about a save a dive kit? I would think they'd be able to help servicing things should something go wrong, but I'm not really sure as I've always rented in the past but will be schlepping my own gear this trip.
Putting together a kit is pretty easy, and once you have it, it’s one thing you don’t have to worry about. Dive ops might have what you need, but I prefer to be prepared.
See my above answer, I made it myself. It took a little futzing, but I could post some instructions and there is web-based software that is free if there's interest.
Yes, please. There is interest. The Captain O-Ring Scuba chart has most of what I need, but a few for computers and lights are missing.

Yes, please. There is interest. The Captain O-Ring Scuba chart has most of what I need, but a few for computers and lights are missing.
I'll work on it over the next few days hopefully and will post a note here, though probably will split it into a different thread for simplicity.

If I had a group of four divers going on a distant live-aboard/bucket list trip (Truk lagoon, Galapagos, etc), the cost of one spare reg compared to the $20k+ for the group makes total sense. I wouldn't rely on a live aboard to have spares once away from the dock.

I've considered getting the SS1, keeping my regular Octo (Z2) and diving with three 2nd stages. Since Atomic Octos are exactly the same as the primary 2nd stages, that would basically be a spare 2nd stage.

Also fits into my self-reliant diver setup, as Octo can move to pony bottle when I get a second 1st stage, and then I have all the spares needed.
What will you do when the SS1 fails or starts free flowing? And they do fail.

You lose the 2nd stage and your BC. You are adding failure points, not redundancy with that plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom