Tool Bag and Individual Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO, NONE, NADA as far as carry on tools go when leaving Cozumel.
Any concerns about bringing tools to Coz?

I travel with my regs and some other gear partially disassembled to minimize space. I’m prepared to leave a cheap wrench and hex behind for the return flight, as long as I have their use on the island.

As long as it checked you won't have an issue.

I've been chastised about the basic bit driver I keep in my pack, it is within the TSA rules, but the MX security said you can't bring tools on the plane. I point to my prosthetic and they let me through. But not everyone has the excuse.

I travel with my regs and some other gear partially disassembled to minimize space. I’m prepared to leave a cheap wrench and hex behind for the return flight, as long as I have their use on the island.
Not in my experience. It is not a customs thing (been twice, 2 reds), it is the outbound (Mexican" TSA") security screening.

As @Manatee Diver said, checked bag is not an issue. Tools get moved to it for the return home.

Batteries on the other hand stay only in Carry-On and Mexico seems to have now gotten on the ICAO bandwagon with everyone else.

As long as it checked you won't have an issue.

I've been chastised about the basic bit driver I keep in my pack, it is within the TSA rules, but the MX security said you can't bring tools on the plane. I point to my prosthetic and they let me through. But not everyone has the excuse.
Think, if I get a shrink to sign off that I have some screws loose (points at head), that would work? :wink:

Think, if I get a shrink to sign off that I have some screws loose (points at head), that would work? :wink:

Only if you look like Frankenstein's Monster.

I'm a big fan of Knipex. I have multiple pairs of their pliers at work and love these in lue of standard adjustable wrenches. I keep a 5" in my save a dive kit along with a reg crescent. I'll add a 2nd to replace the crescent when I feel like not being cheap.

KNIPEX Tools 86 03 125, 5-Inch Mini Pliers Wrench Amazon.com
That's what I keep 2 of in my kit, plus Wera SS hex keys in 3/16 & 5/32 and a Wera SS #1 Philips & 3/16 flat. The other thing I carry is a very small strap wrench, great for loosening cross threaded BCD fill hoses and purge valves.

I forgot to mention this. If you can afford it, your normal-tools, and save-a-dive-kit tools should not be mixed. Last thing you want is to be on a dive trip, and discover you "borrowed" a wrench from your save-a-dive kit.

I'd have a dozen Knipex tools if money wasn't a factor. They're usually a little pricey.

Anything needing more torque than a 5in or 6in can provide, probably is extremely rare and the kind of maintenance you shouldn't be doing at the dive-site. I'd say either 5in or 6in should serve you well.

1. My save-a-dive kit is mostly about having tools available that will get the job done FIRST. Whether they're amazing tools is really a luxury.

2. Useful, but I'd probably leave those in my home-dive-tools. Do you really need those at a dive-site?

3. Agreed on the backup regulator. Disassemble it to save space; just a 1st stage, 2nd stage, spg, hoses (no octo). Rather than doing any field-maintnence, you can always quickly swap out the troube-part, or simply put together the regulator which takes little time. I put mine in a sealed plastic bag, to keep dirt/water/etc out of it. The main downside of having a complete regulator in my save-a-dive kit, is they do add a bit of weight.
I actually find the 4" are more than adequate, smaller and lighter. Nothing should be so tight those won't tighten or loosen them (other than a tank valve). I agree though, this is all for light repair, and tightening. If a regulator needs serious repair, swap it for a spare or a rental.

What riles the TSA or Customs also seems to vary a good deal, even within the US.

A few months back, I was in the Pacific Northwest (SeaTac), headed back to San Francisco, and had a carry-on of a few regulators, and a couple of gas manifolds (each about the size of a deck of cards), one of which was attached to a regulator; the other, loose, in bubble wrap, next to a tin of Altoids.

The TSA agent took some interest in my bag and asked what it was; really handled it and flipped the knob a few times, and I explained its purpose; that it was the same thing that was attached to another regulator. I asked whether he'd be happier if I just attached it to a hose.

He nodded; I did, and was off again . . .

I like the thin profile and parallel surfaces. I'd like to see that in action. Are you thinking of that in lieu of the fixed spanners? Maybe have two, one to hold the reg side in place and torque with the hose side.
I am sure these are nowhere near as good as Knipex but for the price, exposure to saltwater, potential for confiscation etc., they work great.

For the folks with the PANDORA TOOL 3.0, is there a US distributor for them?

If you ever plan to take your save-a-dive kit in a carry-on bag flying in the US, per TSA any tool greater than 7" can't be carried on and has to be in checked luggage.
I just had a small, mostly hex keys less than two inches taken away from me in Mexico. I would only pack in checked bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom