Tool Bag and Individual Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure these are nowhere near as good as Knipex but for the price, exposure to saltwater, potential for confiscation etc., they work great.

The nice thing about the Knipex is they are smooth-jaw, so no marring of nuts or surfaces.

For the folks with the PANDORA TOOL 3.0, is there a US distributor for them?
Not that I know of. But things go pretty quickly if you order directly from their website.

The nice thing about the Knipex is they are smooth-jaw, so no marring of nuts or surfaces.
I said they weren't as nice. But mostly used on hoses so not a big deal for me. No need to overtorque hoses anyway.

- Fixed spanners for hoses
(1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8” & 11/16”???)
Make sure you have enough spanners to tighten the reg hose to the 2nd stage without rotating stuff inside the 2nd stage.
For my Apeks regs I need two spanners (of different sizes), one of which needs to be extra thin.

I also carry a tool that helps in unscrewing the 2nd stage lid if I would need to open the 2nd and adjust/replace something inside.
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
Pick the most usefull size then, or get a set with replaceable heads.
- Hex key set (1/4", 3/16", 5/32")
- Inflator Schrader valve tool
- 2nd stage reg adjustment tool
- Tank hand wheel nut tool
- Allen key for Yoke to DIN?
- Brass O-ring pick
or a pick set
- Spare O-ring kit
Important!
There can be other rubber/plastic parts too in a reg, but those rarely fail (at least in my kit).
- Silicone grease
- Zip ties
Something to cut the zip ties with.
You don't want that zip tie up your nose after replacing a reg mouth piece.

Make sure you have extra reading glasses (both on surface and for your diving mask). It's not fun if your main mask breaks and then you need to keep your computer three feet away to be able to read it.

There are lenses that stick on the inside of your mask.
Either you have a backup mask with those or you have extra lenses.

I am sure these are nowhere near as good as Knipex but for the price, exposure to saltwater, potential for confiscation etc., they work great.

Those are definitely no match for Knipex, but perhaps one doesn't need knipex. I might end up getting a pair for my save-a-dive kit myself. Also, if you're on a budget, or perhaps concerned about them being lost, stolen, borrowed, or take an accidental dive off the side of a boat those will probably do the job.

I've used Knipex to bend metal. Knipex also has a mechanism that keeps both jaws parallel at all times, which has a variety of unexpected uses.

Those are definitely no match for Knipex, but perhaps one doesn't need knipex. I might end up getting a pair for my save-a-dive kit myself. Also, if you're on a budget, or perhaps concerned about them being lost, stolen, borrowed, or take an accidental dive off the side of a boat those will probably do the job.

I've used Knipex to bend metal. Knipex also has a mechanism that keeps both jaws parallel at all times, which has a variety of unexpected uses.
They saved the day on Sunday -- someone on the boat had an inflator with a stuck button. I used the pliers to grab the button retaining ring, cleared out sand from the button and reassembled. Good to go! Father and son were glad they didn't have to sit out the dives.

Interestingly, the Knipex might not have worked for this job as it required the pliers to grab the thin plastic retaining ring and the smooth jaws probably wouldn't have done that.

Not the correct tool but you have to make do with what you have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom