Saturday After Thanksgiving Dive and Picnic @ Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you haven't put down for anything yet, I don't think anyone would object to you bringing some!!! Yummmmm

Hey Mermaid, thanks for the complaint ; ) (yes I know I said "complaint", LOL)

What can I bring?

Leo5591

Nancy and I will arrive early (about 8:30) and start heating up the oil. The earlier we can have the turkeys there, the better. I'll start frying as soon as the oil is hot enough. I expect that will be about 9:30 - 9:45. Before we can dive, I have to heat the oil, fry two turkeys and let the oil cool down.

Since I plan to hit the water at 4, the last turkey needs to be finished cooking by 1. If it's not ready to go into the oil by 11:30, it's not going in. Last year we didn't plan for cooling time.

Do we have enough people for three turkeys? If we do, I'll get there even earlier to start frying them. Regardless of how many turkeys we fry, the last one goes in the oil no later than 11:30.

Looks like we have about 39 people, so if everyone had 1/2 lb of turkey, that's almost 20 lbs. I will never eat that much and most of us won't, so 2 turkeys should be ok. I'll think of something else, and I will bring my propane camp stove just in case it is needed.

How many people did we have last year? I think we cooked up 2 turkeys, and I hardly got a couple bites of it by the time I went for some.

I'll be happy to fry 3 turkeys, but unless we have a second fryer, we'll need to start earlier.

With all this talk of turkey, how about pre-cooking one or two, to cut down on the cooking time? After all, with only one deep fryer, allowing one hour for the oil to heat, and another hour per bird to cook them, logistically, this could be a nightmare.

ijs............... :popcorn:

If you haven't put down for anything yet, I don't think anyone would object to you bringing some!!! Yummmmm

I am already down for a turkey but we are divers living on the coast. Weather permitting will probaly play hooky from work Friday and/or call in favors from local commercial fishermen. Whatever it takes for my brethren! Besides, you got the folks going out on the charter in the morning hours...Deepstops, we are expecting you to limit...:)

Based on the timing of this entire trip to FL, I am driving down on Tuesday evening, Wednesday go to the store and do some work on our FL house, Thursday is Thanksgiving and we will have kids and my Father-In-Law in Sebastian for dinner, on Friday I am driving to Ft. Myers to see my Dad and then drive back to Sebastian, on Saturday, well everyone knows what is going on Saturday. On Sunday, Donna and I are driving back to VA. We both have to be at work on Monday morning. So where was I, oh yes, I am bringing a Veggie tray to the picnic.

Based on the timing of this entire trip to FL, I am driving down on Tuesday evening, Wednesday go to the store and do some work on our FL house, Thursday is Thanksgiving and we will have kids and my Father-In-Law in Sebastian for dinner, on Friday I am driving to Ft. Myers to see my Dad and then drive back to Sebastian, on Saturday, well everyone knows what is going on Saturday. On Sunday, Donna and I are driving back to VA. We both have to be at work on Monday morning. So where was I, oh yes, I am bringing a Veggie tray to the picnic.

Sounds like an intinerary for your avatar. :)

This will be my first dive and turkey dinner ,How about I bring the third turkey .
I was told not to get perdue . Just a generic turkey from Publix / Winn Dixie 12-15 lbs will that work :idk:

just found this post from Walter

Nancy and I will arrive early (about 8:30)
Let me know where to meet you . And if i could meet u the night before that will be better . I live in Boynton Beach will travel

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom