Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/27) BHB Turkey Fry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... And where is the dive flag at that time, in the channel obstructing boat traffic on the surface?

One "normal" behavior of locals who dive the channel in the Inlet, is to tie off thier dive flag about 20 feet in towards the jetty...in from ther channel in the relatively shallow water the boats are not keen on navigating over anyway...so the flag is near the jetty, in a non-navigable area fine for diving....If this is into the inlet near the buoy, this can allow you to go 300 feet further into the inlet( headed for the intracoastal) or 300 feet toward the mouth of the inlet( out to sea). If there were 6 of us, we "could have 6 flags tied up along a large expanse of the underwater canyon dive, where we would actually be easily within legal distance to a dive flag at all times, even if we make a very big run up and down the channel.

The only real issue on this dive, is that the only divers who should be doing it, are divers that are extremely comfortable in what you would call a "viurtual overhead environment". We have to treat the underwater canyon dive as a cave dive....if anyone has a problem, they CAN NOT surface straight up. They have to get sideways over to the area near the jetty that is NOT in navigable waters. This is not a long swim from anywhere in the canyon, but if you are talking an OOA issue, you could NOT make it from the canyon wall all the way to the near jetty safety zone on one breath.....I can "just" do this freediving with none of the drag from a tank...A scuba diver needs to have a buddy with air, in his/her peripherol vision the entire dive.

Also, no one who could experience an uncontrolled ascent, for any reason, can do this dive.

With these disclaimers in mind, who is up for doing the jetty on Saturday? :D

Regards,
DanV

Guys:

I'll bring some burgers too, but it's all about fried turkey, right?

(oh right... diving..)

Sorry to say that there has been a change in family plans for T-Day. Family coming in from out of state, so I will not be able to make it this year. I'll try to catch the next dive at BHB -- I'm determined to make it into salt water eventually!! :)

Y'all have fun and I look forward to seeing the pics!!

Any room for two BHB virgins?

We could bring anything missing from the list.

We have been wanting to dive there for a long while, it would be nice to meet new faces. :cool2:

We have been wanting to dive there for a long while, it would be nice to meet new faces. :cool2:

Show up and have a great time.... We are leaving from Kissimmee/turnpike exit 249 around 8am.
Philip

To keep it in line with Walter's last update, I'll go from there....

Update:

oil (for the turkey fryer) 3 gallons - cottonseed or canola - make sure there are no traces or nuts or nut oil - Nancy & Walter - 1 gallon, Dennis & Donna - 1 gallon, Scuba_Jenny & Hermit Crab - 1 gallon, KBeck - 2 gallon (She picked up an extra and we also picked up 3 injection systems for 3 turkeys)
fryer - Nancy & Walter
1 turkey - D2Diver
Stuffing (lots) - DennisS
paper goods: plates, napkins, plastic ware, garbage bags
1 turkey, 2 oil and charcoal - CoolTech & KBeck
pineapple chunks, orange slices, sliced apples with caramel - DMDavid
Rice Krispy Bars - Reef_Haven
fresh cranberry relish and barley pops - Splitlip
fresh veggie platter - jet126 & Tall Guy, DennisW & Donna
homemade dill dip - jet126 & Tall Guy
case of bottled water - jet126 & Tall Guy
sodas, cups, & ice - Shark Bait!
macaroni and cheese - jimw & divedivadm
cupcakes - jimw & divedivadm
pork tenderloin - grunzster
potato salad & corn salad - oceanbound & Flaski
Burgers (and buns?) - Splitlip
Italian leftovers - Videodude
DaveBigdogDown

From Facebook (People I have not met or spoken to):
Bruschetta, cookies, napkins, plates, utensils and...beverage - Bob Emmerich
Watermelon and cake! - Rick LeBeau
a couple of pies and some cool whip!!! - Robbin Stephenson

One fryer should be plenty, two would speed things up, but would require more oil. A 30 gallon fryer is way too big (if that is what you were referring to, rather than gas)

We have 5 gallons lined up. If that's a little too much, we can save it for next year. Things are looking good on oil.

I think I made 2 key lime pies last year, and make them again.
If you would rather bring pies that is cool too... (Publix has great key lime pie... yummm!)

How late do y'all plan on hanging out up there? I'm working my day job till 6pm, but am off the hook from my night job. Would love to see everybody, but couldn't get up there till around 7 pm.
Just get your butt up here!

MB:
I like the thong, but no tatoos???:coffee:
What? No Manatee burgers or Seal meat from you this year? :D

There is always room for divers who want to become trolls! Plates, plastic-ware, napkins appear to be somewhere...
---

Remember, this is a pot-luck... What you get is a variety. I just set the date and attempt to keep the list updated. Once the basics seem to be met... Turkeys, fryer, oil, plates, plastic-ware and napkins... The rest is up to your imagination! Please don't ask me what you should bring. By staying out of that decision we have had some very interesting dishes in the past including Tim Tams.

We have 27 +- from ScubaBoard and another 8-12 so far from FaceBook. Plan on a few pickups to make it approx. 50 people.

Heck, my Troll shirt might be here in time... lol

Yeah..

writing it down ...burgers AND buns. LOL.

up until now, I was focused on fresh horse radish, raw oysters, ****ake shrooms and sage leaves for Mom's dinner. but now i got my mind right, Boss.

Fresh cranberry and orange relish, barley pops (reeb), burgers and buns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom