TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - March 8-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Once again, I did not win the L.A. Marathon . . .

DIVERS DAY IS THIS COMING SATURDAY AT THE AQUARIUM OF THE PACIFIC -NOW it's this coming Saturday. (Whew!!!) Bring your c-card and you get in for FREE!!! That saves you $35. In addition to all the regular delights that the Aquarium has to offer, there will be a number of informational and display tables in the Great Hall as well as some special demonstrations. We're also showing four dive-related videos on the walls of the Great Hall at 11:00, 1:15, 2:00, & 3:00. It's a fun day, you just show up (no need to pre-register), and enjoy yourself. Also make sure to get your parking ticket validated to get the special Aquarium rate of $8.

SIGN UP FOR THE FLYING DUTCHMAN - We know a lot of you no longer dive SoCal but that doesn't mean you can't "dive" on Chamber Day. Just sign up for the Flying Dutchman!!! It's a great way to dive the event without actually having to dive PLUS you help support our Chamber. And we've added a new wrinkle this year by asking who referred you to the Dutchman. The top three referrers will get special recognition at Chamber Eve and the #1 referrer will win the soon-to-be-coveted "Shiver Me Timbers" award for getting the most people to sign up. So when YOU sign up, be sure to list "Reef Seekers" in the referral box. Here's the direct link: CHAMBER DAY SIGN-UPS.

PEACE BACK IN - Last week I told you that Eric Bowman was going to cease running the Peace dive boat and was hoping to find a buyer. This week, I can tell you that that happened!!! The new owner/operator will be Cody Errair who has been working as a DM and captain on the boat. Cody will take over effective in June.

SOCORRO SPOTS AVAILABLE - I had one person cancel off of our January 2021 Socorro trip on the Nautilus Under Sea so I've now got three spots available. One is a male-share and the other is a full stateroom (upper/lower beds). This is going to be a fabulous trip exploring a wonderfully remote region 200+ miles south of Cabo San Lucas including a simply incredible place to dive which is Roca Partida. If you're interested, let me know. We've also found really great airfares for the trip on American Airlines coming in at $400-ish for Economy and $619 (which a number of us grabbed) for Business.

THIS THURSDAY AT VETS - I'm leaving it on the schedule but given the rain in the forecast, I'm doubtful it will happen. I did hear from folks who were out there Sunday morning: flat seas, ankle-slapper surf, and 25-foot visibility. But that will likely all get wiped out by the coming storm.

THE LOG - What a great idea (and what an interesting video). A guy in Pennsylvania has a small creek running through his property and a log that spans the creek is used by all sots of wildlife - including some Black Bears - as a bridge to get from one side to the other. So he set up a camera, records everything year-round, and then edits it down to a 5-minute video. Fascinating to watch. Here's the link: THE LOG - YEAR 2.

BOLO FOR JUVY GIANT SEA BASS - If you start seeing baby Giant Sea Bass around the Santa Monica Bay, there's a reason for that. Building on the success of the Aquarium of the Pacific who bred and raised a single GSB three-and-a-half years ago, Dr. Larry Allen of Cal State Northridge had a male/female pair under observation is his laboratory and was surprised to realize that they had created a massive spawn. The short version is that close to 400 of the eggs survived and a plan was hatched (no pun intended) to release the little ones into the ocean in hopes of further replenishing the species. The first phase of that - some 200 baby fish - was completed this past Wednesday. And we have it on good authority that the remaining ones will be released in the next few weeks. The L.A.Times was on hand last week and has a great story about it which you can read here: BABY GSBs BACK INTO THE OCEAN.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom