Trip Report Tiger Beach and Bimini on the Dolphin Dream, March 11-19, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prior to Bimini, I had only seen 3 Great Hammerheads, all in Boynton Beach. My wife, another diver, and I saw a GH on the inside of the Boynton Reef in August 2019. It did 3 slow circles around us, about 15 ft away, before it swam off over the reef. In March of 2021 and again in April of 2021, I saw a GH while diving by myself on the outside of the Boynton Reef. In March, the GH swam close to the side of me in the opposite direction and slowly disappeared. In April, the GH swam up on my right side in the same direction, turned in front of me, and then slowly headed off on my left side. This encounter was quite close, only about 5 feet when it was on my right side, crossing over and then swimming off. You go down, swim around, you never know what you are going to see. I have not used any of the baiting/feeding operators in SE FL

I've only seen 2 Tiger Sharks in SE FL, both in Jupiter, on a reef dives. Neither of these encounters were particularly close. I saw several Tiger Sharks in Cocos, all off the back side of Manuelita. Several of these encounters were quite close. Often, the Tiger Sharks snuck up from the side or from behind while we were watching for Hammerheads

.. There were often 3 or 4 or 5 Tiger Sharks in the direct vicinity of the feeding station.
Wow, my head would be doing circles. Incredible trip write up and thank you for taking the hours to do it!! Great report from you and Dan !!

One good thing this time, Daisy & Amparo were not present. Otherwise things could be more interesting with already 14 Tiger Sharks around us.

Here’s why no Amparo is a good thing:

That looks soo safe! Teaching a big shark it is ok to nibble on a diver's fin.

I'm amazed that this type of activity is not (almost universally) condemned as dangerous to the shark and to the next divers, freedivers and spearfisherman that are encountered.

Didn't a local operator just get a diver killed at that precise location recently? I'm really not sure.

If this activity is not a good example of it, can someone explain what would constitute "normalization of deviance"? Seriously, what would that look like if this is not it?

Wikipedia:

Normalization of deviance is a term used by the American sociologist Diane Vaughan to describe the process in which deviance from correct or proper behavior becomes normalized in a corporate culture.[1]

Vaughan defines this as a process where a clearly unsafe practice comes to be considered normal if it does not immediately cause a catastrophe: "a long incubation period [before a final disaster] with early warning signs that were either misinterpreted, ignored or missed completely".[2]
[3]

Sorry, no photos yet. My wife and I just became first time grandparents when our granddaughter was born two days after I flew home from Florida...
1649077905910.png
:):heart::)

That looks soo safe! Teaching a big shark it is ok to nibble on a diver's fin.

I'm amazed that this type of activity is not (almost universally) condemned as dangerous to the shark and to the next divers, freedivers and spearfisherman that are encountered.

Didn't a local operator just get a diver killed at that precise location recently? I'm really not sure.

If this activity is not a good example of it, can someone explain what would constitute "normalization of deviance"? Seriously, what would that look like if this is not it?

Wikipedia:

Normalization of deviance is a term used by the American sociologist Diane Vaughan to describe the process in which deviance from correct or proper behavior becomes normalized in a corporate culture.[1]

Vaughan defines this as a process where a clearly unsafe practice comes to be considered normal if it does not immediately cause a catastrophe: "a long incubation period [before a final disaster] with early warning signs that were either misinterpreted, ignored or missed completely".[2]
[3]
I'm ambivalent, and I believe I have participated in threads before debating it. But I'm not going to sully this thread, which is a Trip Report, by raising the issue.

Very cool- thanks for sharing and congratulations on your grandchild- wishing her and the mother health & happiness.

I had previously been exposed to many sharks in my diving in the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, the Revillagigedos, SE Florida, and the Caribbean, but I had never participated in a baited/feeding shark experience. Though we got off to a somewhat slow start, we ended up with 14 great dives and I had 18:37 of dive time. This entire trip with Dolphin Dream was tremendous, very professional, safe, and a whole lot of fun. I may repeat it again myself.

Great trip report, so how did this trip compare to all of those other sharky liveaboards you've done? And of all those places you listed, which was your favourite?

Hi @qwimjim

The trip to Tiger Beach and Bimini was very, very different than any other liveaboard I have been on. I had never done a baited/fed shark dive before this trip and always hesitated to do so. I'm extremely glad I did the trip, the interactions with the Tiger Sharks, without or with feeding was just fantastic. The feeding dives were much more organized and controlled than I had imagined, and I felt quite safe the entire time. I'm not sure I will ever do another baited/fed shark dive, but I am extremely glad I did this trip, priceless memories.

When people ask me about my favorite trip, it is always difficult to answer because the trips are different, and, in many ways, complimentary. I consider myself very lucky that I have had the opportunity to dive the big 4 locations in the eastern Pacific, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigedos, and Malpelo. My favorite trips are among this group. Galapagos has the most diversity, absolutely dazzling. Malpelo was easiest the most wild and exciting. Revillagigedos has so many Mantas and sharks. Cocos has its Hammerheads and bonus Tiger Sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom