Sailboat gets in the way of Great Lakes freighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the active shipping channel in the St Clair River at Sarnia. The current is quite strong. Freighters do pass each other in the St Clair River farther downstream of the curve at Sarnia.
28518DCD-4DAA-46DE-AD1B-246AC582E80D.jpeg

After an accident in the 1970s a system was worked out for freighters at the curve in the River at the Bluewater Bridge.

“As the lights of the ship and nearby Port Huron sparkled on the inky black water at 1:46 a.m. June 5, the current below the Blue Water Bridge caught the Smith in a cold death grip, turning the helpless vessel broadside in the channel, directly in the path of the downbound Canadian steamer Parker Evans of the Hindman fleet.
Propellers on both vessels thrashed vainly at the water in an effort to avoid disaster and, in a cacophony of tortured steel, the bow of the heavily loaded Evans plunged into the Smith's starboard side, flooding the Smith with thousands of tons of river water.
The Evans staggered off to shore and anchored, seriously damaged but unwilling to sink.
Within 20 minutes, however, the mortally wounded Smith rolled over on her starboard side in approximately 40 feet of water, but not before the crew of the Port Huron pilot boat Sally M. had plucked the Smith's entire crew from the rapidly sinking vessel. This was a feat for which the pilot boat crew would later receive several lifesaving awards from the U.S. Coast Guard.
As the wrecked Smith was in the shipping channel, vessel traffic was halted, then restricted to one-way travel in the days following the sinking.
The heavy current undermined the underwater bank upon which the Smith rested, causing the hull to break and separate on June 7 and creating the potential for environmental damage from leaking oil. Erie Sand abandoned the wreck on June 20 and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers started a massive salvage effort.
Divers pumped out her bunker oil and separated the two hull sections with cutting torches and dynamite. The bow and stern were raised in the summer and fall of 1972, the cabins and machinery removed and both sections later towed to Sarnia where they were filled in together become a dock.
Total salvage cost was $5 million.
In October 1972, shipping companies agreed to one-way alternating traffic between buoys one and two north of the Blue Water Bridge and the Black River to avoid having vessels pass in the tricky current.
Also created as a result of the collision was the Sarnia Traffic Centre.
Operated by the Canadian Coast Guard, the centre provides Vessel Traffic Services, or VTS, for commercial vessels over 20 meters (approximately 65 ½ feet) in length in the region from lower Lake Huron to western Lake Erie.
As vessels traverse the area, they are required to call in at certain checkpoints and give their estimated times of arrival for the next checkpoint, allowing Sarnia Traffic, other vessels and boatwatchers to keep tabs on the whereabouts of all vessel traffic in the region, much like air traffic controllers at a major airport.
Today, the Smith's remains are still located just south of the grain elevator and Sarnia Government dock, directly across from Port Huron. The dock is known simply as the Sidney Smith dock or just simply the Smith dock, a sad end for the once-proud vessel.
Her loss was not in vain, however, as ship captains today can concentrate on navigating the treacherous currents near the Blue Water Bridges without other vessels nearby, a much safer arrangement than on that dark June night almost 40 years ago”
The story of the steamer Sidney E. Smith, Jr.

080848D4-D7D0-4463-A639-229F000F280F.png

This is the active shipping channel in the St Clair River at Sarnia. The current is quite strong. Freighters do pass each other in the St Clair River.View attachment 678491View attachment 678490
Thanks. Awesome! Are there designated areas that they can not pass? Too twisty, too narrow? Kind of like the solid double lines on a highway (but not really).

More like a one way bridge?

The area of the river under one way traffic is from Buoys 1 and 2 where Lake Huron meets the St Clair, and Black River, the area marked between the two red lines. Yesterday a 1000 ft long freighter went through this part of the River, so if it’s one ship at a time going through this stretch, it’s doable.
85312F0B-83C6-47FF-B233-08F66FE2BAA7.jpeg

The sailboat never tacked, although he was forced to gybe to avoid the collision. He was trying to head upwind to clear the tanker but couldn’t, most likely due to the angle of wind, current, and lack of speed. It was arguably a bad call on part of the sailor to not head off sooner, but from the video it doesn’t appear clear which direction the tanker is heading. I don’t think anything was done intentionally on part of the sailor.

The freighter is not a tanker. Drives me bats. Great Lakes vessels are dry bulk carriers.

The freighter is not a tanker. Drives me bats. Great Lakes vessels are dry bulk carriers.

Sure. I’m just saying it’s unlikely the sailboat was intentionally playing chicken with the freighter, and I doubt they had any false notions about who had right of way in that situation.

I thought it was a laker?

So no liquids on the lakes?

They’re all called Lakers.

There used to be tankers on the lakes. Not sure when they went away. I’m a boatnerd and follow a number of FB Great Lakes shipping groups. I don’t ever remember there being a tanker the last few years.

I thought it was a laker?

So no liquids on the lakes?
Crude Oil Transport by Ship in the Great Lakes

There is currently no crude oil moved by tank ships (or “tankers”) on the Great Lakes, though relatively small quantities of crude oil are transported to refineries by barge on rivers and canals within the basin.

We have lots of pipelines in the Midwest that handle bulk liquids more economically. There has occasionally been talk of shipping Canadian tar sands crude via Lake Superior, but so far nothing concrete. Congress members from Michigan introduced legislation to ban it the last time it came up. It died when the project fell through. But if it seriously looked like it could happen, I imagine something similar would be introduced. The uncertainty alone is probably enough to keep someone from attempting to build a dedicated tanker. The big (1000') lakers are all over 30 years old.

Interesting the link you provided doesn't show it on the mapping.. We still periodically get a tanker here in Buffalo delivering to the NOCO facility (I believe I recall seeing one in the last year...), but almost all the deliveries for the last few years are being barged...

upload_2021-8-26_6-53-10.png

I've circled the terminal dock...

upload_2021-8-26_6-54-23.png

Then again, it may not be crude, but bulk refined material being delivered...

I do not believe United Refining is functioning anymore, but both are bulk storage facilities..

I gather that none of you have operated a boat and have not studied the navigation rules

Generally the members of this forum are passengers, not boaters and really don't have a damn clue what they're talking about when it comes to the rules of the road. Most comments in this thread exemplify that. I did love the "should be arrested" comment the most. That was fun.

It is not possible to outrun a freighter with 20,000 horsepower running at 15 knots

I sail on a couple boats that smoke freighters all day in anything over 10 knots. So let's change that to "most sailboats can't outrun a freighter" :)

Also anyone claiming it was operating in a "narrow channel" clearly doesn't how how to look at a damn chart. There's plenty of water there.

Back
Top Bottom