Advanced recreational diving in the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a thread last year on Great Lakes diving for beginners, and now want to do one on advanced recreational diving.

Great Lakes diving for beginners

I’m on my way back from Mackinaw City (dive buddy is driving), where we did a 3 day weekend of 2 tank morning charters. We went with Shipwreck Adventures of Two Rivers, WI. Capt Greg Such is excellent (he’s also a TDI instructor trainer and does a lot of RB training). The shallowest dive we did was about 70ft (Wm H Barnum wreck) and the deepest was the Eber Ward (140ft to the bottom, deck at 117ft). First day was Cedarville (110ft to the bottom) and Barnum, second day, double dip on the Eber Ward, third day double dip on the Cedarville. With the Ward being so deep and the Cedarville so long (604ft), multiple dives were wanted to get a better look at them.

Unfortunately, if you want to dive the Straits, it seems you now have to pick a charter op that will trailer their boat in from elsewhere. Greg brings his boat over for multiple trips a season. Capt Jitka Hanakova from Milwaukee (Shipwreck Explorers) brings her boat up for specific dates each summer. Black Dog Charters also does the Straits. There was Northern Michigan Dive Center in Cheboygan, but they’ve closed perhaps a year ago. Straits Scuba in St. Ignace doesn’t seem to be operating much. That also means there are no fills in the area. Greg and Jitka both have their own compressors and can support rec and tech fills. Or just bring enough filled tanks to support the dives you want to do. The closest fills are in Alpena (Thunder Bay Scuba) and perhaps Traverse City, both at least 90 min away.

The diving in the Straits is awesome, but the season is pretty much Memorial Day to sometime in September. The Straits Underwater Preserve hadn’t put in any of their buoys yet due to the continued bad weather this spring. Greg’s boat put out two of the preserve’s buoys this weekend.

There are advanced recreational dives as well in Thunder Bay (Alpena), Sanilac (southern Lake Huron), and Milwaukee/Port Washington, WI. The far southern Lake Michigan wrecks are pretty shallow.

Please add in your experiences.

Jitka has a nice boat. BUT she really needs to have a head/toilet. Yes its disgusting, and I know she doesn't want to deal with other people's poop. But if you're going to be out most of a day it's also important. Probably as important as where to get fills lol

Jitka has a nice boat. BUT she really needs to have a head/toilet. Yes its disgusting, and I know she doesn't want to deal with other people's poop. But if you're going to be out most of a day it's also important.

On a boat that small, it’s not going to happen. Greg’s boat doesn’t have a head, either.

Last August we dove with a group called Island Diver - someone there supposedly had a compressor but I don't remember using it.

Some advanced diving but wow what a site to see - I'm baffled as to why there isn't a bigger diving gig in that area???

Last August we dove with a group called Island Diver - someone there supposedly had a compressor but I don't remember using it.

Some advanced diving but wow what a site to see - I'm baffled as to why there isn't a bigger diving gig in that area???

In the Straits?

In the Straits?

Yea - they were across the bridge in St Ignace, their boat was in front of Sheplers, that's where they are out of.

On a boat that small, it’s not going to happen. Greg’s boat doesn’t have a head, either.
The cutout in the Vberth was originally built for a portapotty head. Molly V is a 28ft Marinette, there's plenty of room for a head.

The cutout in the Vberth was originally built for a portapotty head. Molly V is a 28ft Marinette, there's plenty of room for a head.

Jitka sleeps there during the several months she's on the road around the Great Lakes. Something tells me she's not going to want a portapotty there.

Jitka sleeps there during the several months she's on the road around the Great Lakes. Something tells me she's not going to want a portapotty there.
Yep I know. She doesn't want to deal with other people's poop. Holding it or hanging your butt overboard are unprofessional - and marginally legal.

Yea - they were across the bridge in St Ignace, their boat was in front of Sheplers, that's where they are out of.

Interesting. Found a FB page, but it's not clear if they're actually still running or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom