Sailboat gets in the way of Great Lakes freighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally the members of this forum are passengers, not boaters and really don't have a damn clue what they're talking about when it comes to the rules of the road.

Send me a PM if you want to compare how many times we’ve taken the rules of the road exam and what scores we earned.

Also anyone claiming it was operating in a "narrow channel" clearly doesn't how how to look at a damn chart. There's plenty of water there.

Anyone disputing that the M/V Cuyahoga was operating in a narrow channel has no clue how little freedom a pilot has to depart from his line as he navigates a 600-foot single-screw ship around a bend in a current.

The term “narrow channel” is deliberately not defined in the rules because what constitutes “narrow” is contingent on many variables.

However, you can be confident that a channel for which the Coast Guard has codified regulations limiting meeting and overtaking situations qualifies as “narrow.”

Send me a PM if you want to compare how many times we’ve taken the rules of the road exam and what scores we earned.
I must say I’ve only taken it once. 6 issues ago.

I must say I’ve only taken it once. 6 issues ago.
I had to take it at OCS, for each shipboard assignment as a deck officer, and for my merchant license. Five times in all.

I had to take at OCS, for each shipboard assignment as a deck officer, and for my merchant license. Five times in all.
I am currently assigned to a flight I destroyer in dry dock. I had forgotten the pain and agony JOs go through to be OOD.

I was in our patrol boat 4 miles downstream when this incident occurred. We raced up there and found out that the guy was trying to maneuver for 5 minutes and the current took steerage away from him. He had issues getting his motor started.

They’re all called Lakers.

There used to be tankers on the lakes. Not sure when they went away. I’m a boatnerd and follow a number of FB Great Lakes shipping groups. I don’t ever remember there being a tanker the last few years.

Both Algoma and Desenges operate tankers on the lakes. Usually Sarnia to Montreal is the route.

Both Algoma and Desenges operate tankers on the lakes. Usually Sarnia to Montreal is the route.
Thanks. These tankers are about half the length and have less than 20% of the capacity of the largest lakers. They carry refined petroleum products, not crude oil.

Here's one that's currently in Lake Saint Claire: Algonorth, Ramira and ALGONORTH (Crude Oil Tanker) Registered in Canada - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9362152, MMSI 316003250, Call Sign NAPP

Desgagnés has a bunch of tankers in this size class all around the world. I see a couple in Montreal. With a free account on marinetraffic.com it's hard to check on all of them

Thanks. These tankers are about half the length and have less than 20% of the capacity of the largest lakers. They carry refined petroleum products, not crude oil.

Here's one that's currently in Lake Saint Claire: Algonorth, Ramira and ALGONORTH (Crude Oil Tanker) Registered in Canada - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9362152, MMSI 316003250, Call Sign NAPP

Desgagnés has a bunch of tankers in this size class all around the world. I see a couple in Montreal. With a free account on marinetraffic.com it's hard to check on all of them

Algonorth is the most frequent visitor to Sarina. She was moored there for most of the week. I got aboard her several years ago when she docked at the Port Huron Seaway Terminal when there was a spillage cleanup.

Amoco boats and its whalebacks where the best looking tankers that plied our waters though.

WPCowan-Soo-AD.jpg

meteor-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom