Rubbermaid ActionPacker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsjustme0770

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. We are looking to reduce the amount of luggage we travel with, while at the same time continuing to travel with our gear.

I'd appreciate hearing from those who travel with an actionpacker.

Specifically:

What size do you use?
How much to you get in it (and can still travel on an airline w/o additional luggage fees)
Pro's
Con's
Lessons learned.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but...I travel on dive trips with Rubbermaid ActionPackers each trip I take. But I don't fly with them. I've got two of the smaller ones (#0851)(20"x15"x11") and one of the mid-size chests (#0992)(35"x20"x18"). I also use a Rubbermaid "Coffin" (42"x22"x20"). These ride in the van during the long drives to Florida or North Carolina. The two smallest ones go out on the charter boats. One is the save-a-dive kit (meds, first aid, tools, spare parts, admin.) and the other holds the spare battery pack etc. for the Gavin. The mid-size is good for deco bottles (40s) and clothes + some cold/wet weather stuff. The coffin holds my dive bag and drysuit plus undergarment, including odds and ends. It also holds all the wet stuff on the return trip to keep saltwater out of the van.

Lesson learned: tried using the ActionPacker for the wet gear. Rinsing it out afterwards and getting all the water out sucks, because the lip prevents you from dumping the contents. The Rubbermaid coffin works much better for transporting salty gear.

If I were flying, I wouldn't be doing this kind of diving. Since I do this kind of diving, I don't fly anywhere. Fortunately there is more excellent diving along the eastern seaboard and the High Springs, FL area than I'll ever get to, so I don't need to fly anywhere exotic to enjoy world-class diving.

FWIW. YMMV.

itsjustme0770:
Hi all. We are looking to reduce the amount of luggage we travel with, while at the same time continuing to travel with our gear.

I'd appreciate hearing from those who travel with an actionpacker.

Specifically:

What size do you use?
How much to you get in it (and can still travel on an airline w/o additional luggage fees)
Pro's
Con's
Lessons learned.

Thanks in advance.

i have an action packer and i love it. it is the most convenient thing for packing gear. has space for all my gear. very convenient for storing as well as putting in wet gear after dives. i howeve do not advice it if you plan on flying with your gear. as it is sumbersome. i mainly do all my diving withing driving distance so i mainly transport it in my suv.

one thing you should note is that dont try to fill it up completely with water as the weight of the water will bulge the sides of the cooler. rinsing is fine.

Your not going to try to take Actionpacker on a plane are you ? :11:

I'm almost sure the airline would charge you extra.

Lil' Irish Temper:
Your not going to try to take Actionpacker on a plane are you ? :11:

I'm almost sure the airline would charge you extra.

Well, its not the huge one, its the 24 gallon one. As long as it doesn't exceed 70lbs (for an international flight) it shouldn't be a problem. Its lockable (via TSA security locks) and holds everything (including clothes and personal items) for warm water diving trips. I check that and a small collapsable dolly and that's all I need (plus a carryon backpack).

Most airlines have a limit of 62" of total length + width + height for checked baggage. While it isn't generally strictly enforced, getting too far beyond that is going to cost you. United, for example, charges $80 for anything above 62" and won't take anything over 115" total.

Kind of like the 50/70lb free limit; overweight charges for heavier bags; and nothing accepted over 100 pounds.

Okay, i'm not sure if its the same or not but i think i have one of those with my Drager Dolphin kit. If its the same, i wouldn't even consider using it for checked luggage. The airlines would eat it for lunch IMO.

Hi guy's

I use a 102 litre ZAG box for all my dive gear. It flies very well and does all the other jobs like driving around and travelling in boats. I just check by e-mail including a photo and description with the airline and travel with the few who OK its use. Think of it this way , how many surfboards have you seen as luggage and their not that small.

ThanX

Kosonen

ps.

It has now been scientifically proven that the backward-roll entry by a scuba diver off the edge of a dive boat is the more efficient.

After numerous controlled experiments, based on several boat designs, found conclusively that a forward roll attempt from this position did not result in a viable water entry.

Kosonen:
Hi guy's

I use a 102 litre ZAG box for all my dive gear. It flies very well and does all the other jobs like driving around and travelling in boats. I just check by e-mail including a photo and description with the airline and travel with the few who OK its use. Think of it this way , how many surfboards have you seen as luggage and their not that small.

Surfboards are typically specifically exempted from the linear measurement method.

For example, Delta's Contract of Carriage (Section 190 D "Sporting Equipment" 10) places no limit on the dimensions of a surfboard, but says it will always be charged $80.

Continental's says, at 23 E 9 (b) (v), as long as it's less than 115 inches long, they'll take it, but it'll cost you between 80 and 100 depending on (lots of stuff.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom