Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone dove them consistently without a seal? I mean with the seal cut all the way back to the cuff?

I think I have about 45 or 50 dives on my Ultimas like that and have never had an issue. My hands stay a lot warmer.

Sorry for being PIA, but it seems Rolock is really hard to install on my suit. I put one ring on and now I can't take it off.
Edited to add: I see that Sitech recommends to put seals either in 2nd or 3rd groove, depending on suit. Should I try the same for Rolock?

Sorry for being PIA, but it seems Rolock is really hard to install on my suit. I put one ring on and now I can't take it off.
Edited to add: I see that Sitech recommends to put seals either in 2nd or 3rd groove, depending on suit. Should I try the same for Rolock?

Not sure what you have going on based on your description. If you could provide more info perhaps one of us can help.

I don’t recall having any difficulty with installing the rings on my suit….and I took the system apart and changed the indexing after my initial install and only recall that it took a while to slide the glove out from between the glove side ring and the blue retaining ring…but that is a good thing.

Hopefully you can provide more info. Just be careful when you remove the cuff side ring that retains the seal as that is when the seal is can be damaged.

-Z

Has anyone dove them consistently without a seal? I mean with the seal cut all the way back to the cuff?

I think I have about 45 or 50 dives on my Ultimas like that and have never had an issue. My hands stay a lot warmer.
I prefer to dive with my wrist seals intact…but based on other discussion threads about the Ultimate DGS, I can understand why folks would prefer to cut their seals back.

That being said, I can’t see any reason why this can’t be don’t with the Rolock90 setup similar to cutting seals back on the Ultimate DGS. The interface with the suit/glued-in PU ring is pretty much the same.

As I have stated / alluded to elsewhere, I really like the Rolock 90 system...but if I did not have a set of them, I think the the 341x70 o-rings to mount gloves on the Ultima DGS takes care of the only real gripe I had with that system. Prying the Ultimas apart after a dive takes a little bit of effort but I don't think it would be enough for me to buy a new system.

I will caveat that my suit is currently set up with the Rolock 90 and my wife's still has the Ultima DGS (with the push/pull add-on)...I kinda expect that she will corner me at some point in the future and make me swap systems with her. If that happens, I have no problem going back to the Ultima DGS if need be.

I don't think you can go wrong with either system, they are both good....but for those who don't have a system already, to them I would recommend the Rolock 90.

-Z

Not sure what you have going on based on your description. If you could provide more info perhaps one of us can help.

I don’t recall having any difficulty with installing the rings on my suit….and I took the system apart and changed the indexing after my initial install and only recall that it took a while to slide the glove out from between the glove side ring and the blue retaining ring…but that is a good thing.

Hopefully you can provide more info. Just be careful when you remove the cuff side ring that retains the seal as that is when the seal is can be damaged.

-Z
If you watch video how to instal and remove seal from QCS system, I can do the same.
Rolock tutorial video for installing or removing seal looks pretty much the same, but for me it is different.
I need to be really carefull for PU ring not to push seal forward out of groove and there is no way I can remove it just with my fingers. I had to use prying tool to get it off and while seal is intact, I can see marks on it.
So, is that normal (because it is not the same as Rolock tutorial video) or maybe I got unlucky and I got rings that are just a tiny bit out of spec?

If you watch video how to instal and remove seal from QCS system, I can do the same.
Rolock tutorial video for installing or removing seal looks pretty much the same, but for me it is different.
I need to be really carefull for PU ring not to push seal forward out of groove and there is no way I can remove it just with my fingers. I had to use prying tool to get it off and while seal is intact, I can see marks on it.
So, is that normal (because it is not the same as Rolock tutorial video) or maybe I got unlucky and I got rings that are just a tiny bit out of spec?

Yes, marks are normal because the seal where it contacts the rigid retaining ring will be compressed and possibly stretched by the ring.

I have read the instructions and watched videos for the QCS oval system...I have never completely understood what Si-Tech states by their recommendation to mount the edge of the seal in different grooves based on different suit material...but, I typically will mount the seal so there is one groove gap, if that makes sense. Here is a visual from the QCS oval manual....I mount the seal as displayed in the left side picture:

1645187021869.png

Then when I begin pressing the rigid ring with seal mounted into the ring glued into the suit, I grab the seal like in the picture below on the right and twist it slightly...I find this helps keep the edge in the groove I installed it on and is less prone to be forced to the end of the rigid ring. I also rub a tiny bit of silicone grease on the seal from where it folds over to its edge once mounted to help the system slide into place easier, not a lot, just enough to make the seal shiny in that area:

1645187216385.png

Removing the rigid ring and seal from the ring glued into the suit takes a little effort but there is a technique to it by pushing on the back of the rigid ring through the suit material. One can also use the end of a Si-Tech multi-tool or a plastic bicycle tire lever:

1645188327048.png
1645188391379.png

The waterproof ultima DGS comes with a little plastic pry tool similar to a tire lever. It is shown in this video by Simply Scuba which demonstrates how to replace wrist seals on the QCS oval system (they have the Ultima DGS system installed but it is the same for Rolock 90 or just the rigid oval ring from Si-Tech):

Be gentle and be careful not to damage the ring in the suit, the rigid ring, or the seal when prying the rings apart.

Hope that helps.

-Z

Here is a video that demonstrates pushing the rigid ring out by pressing on its rear edge through the suit material:

-Z

@Zef it looks I wasn't clear enough. When I remove QCS rings, I don't need tool at all. I push on the ring from the back, grab PU ring with my fingers and pull it. Easily disassembled.
With Rolock, I have to use the tool. No way I can pull it back with my fingers.
Marks on the seal I was mentioning are where the tool pressed when I pushed PU ring back

@Zef it looks I wasn't clear enough. When I remove QCS rings, I don't need tool at all. I push on the ring from the back, grab PU ring with my fingers and pull it. Easily disassembled.
With Rolock, I have to use the tool. No way I can pull it back with my fingers.
Marks on the seal I was mentioning are where the tool pressed when I pushed PU ring back
I understand...I am currently traveling for work so I don’t have mine in front of me but I would not doubt that the rigid ring from the Rolock 90 system that retains the seal is slightly more substantial than the oval ring that comes with the QCS oval cuff seal ring system.

If you have damaged your seal then you were too aggressive with whatever tool you used to remove the rigid seal retaining ring, and/or your seal edge was pushed forward when you installed it and the rigid ring into your suit sleeve cuff. Impressions on the very edge of the seal should not be a problem but check the seal carefully for small slits/cuts by gently stretching it while holding up to a light.

While the system can be taken apart and replaced, note that it is based on interference fit and is primarily meant to be taken apart when the soft bits (seal) need to be replaced.

I tend to need a plastic tool to get things started coming apart but just use my hands once I get things going. Just be methodical and careful.

Good luck.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom