Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bit of a bump.

Has anyone installed a Rolock 90 on the original Quick Cuff system? I have the 90s already but got an excellent deal on a suit with QCs installed.
The sleeves have enough length for some tailoring if it would just be best to get the QCS installed instead (likely DIY).

Bit of a bump.

Has anyone installed a Rolock 90 on the original Quick Cuff system? I have the 90s already but got an excellent deal on a suit with QCs installed.
The sleeves have enough length for some tailoring if it would just be best to get the QCS installed instead (likely DIY).

Unfortunately the Quick Cuff rings are too large to create a proper seal with the Rolock 90 ring system.

Post #46 of this discussion thread has a video showing the modification of the Quick Cuff rings to work with the standard/classic Rolock system (Rolock 3).

-Z

Unfortunately the Quick Cuff rings are too large to create a proper seal with the Rolock 90 ring system.

Post #46 of this discussion thread has a video showing the modification of the Quick Cuff rings to work with the standard/classic Rolock system (Rolock 3).

-Z
My thought was to install the Rolock 90 inside the QC hard ring. I have a spare set of hard rings to try it with and I have a machinists lathe.
Bulky of course but worse case I swap the cuff rings to the smaller ones if it doesn't work.

My thought was to install the Rolock 90 inside the QC hard ring. I have a spare set of hard rings to try it with and I have a machinists lathe.
Bulky of course but worse case I swap the cuff rings to the smaller ones if it doesn't work.

If you have 2nd thoughts before you put the Rolock 90 rings on the lathe, let me know....I am looking for a set to install on my wife's drysuit. She currently has the Ultima DGS with push-pull rings installed, but I am sure she will look at me with some serious side-eye the next time we dive together and I am using the Rolock 90 and she is using something different.

-Z

If you have 2nd thoughts before you put the Rolock 90 rings on the lathe, let me know....I am looking for a set to install on my wife's drysuit. She currently has the Ultima DGS with push-pull rings installed, but I am sure she will look at me with some serious side-eye the next time we dive together and I am using the Rolock 90 and she is using something different.

-Z
Oh I'm not putting the Rolocks on the lathe. I'm putting a set of QC stiff rings on to make adapters. It's soooo close to a push fit right now.

Oh I'm not putting the Rolocks on the lathe. I'm putting a set of QC stiff rings on to make adapters. It's soooo close to a push fit right now.
Folks who have tried to go without wrist seals have found they need wrist seal material between the rigid ring and the PU ring glued into the suit. Folks have had good success cutting back their wrist seals or salvaging a slightly torn wrist seal to use for this purpose.

You might find that you need to do the same, add a band made from a wrist seal, between the QC stiff rings and the Rolock cuff-side rings to prevent water from leaking by.

It seems like a neat endeavor...I wish you luck, and hope you post your results.

-Z

Folks who have tried to go without wrist seals have found they need wrist seal material between the rigid ring and the PU ring glued into the suit. Folks have had good success cutting back their wrist seals or salvaging a slightly torn wrist seal to use for this purpose.

You might find that you need to do the same, add a band made from a wrist seal, between the QC stiff rings and the Rolock cuff-side rings to prevent water from leaking by.

It seems like a neat endeavor...I wish you luck, and hope you post your results.

-Z
I'm going to use the wrist part of a set of marigolds with a pinhole in the finger as a seal between both the Rolock, the QC ring and the PU cuff. I considered o-rings but I want the longer surface of the glove.
I could do the same setup with a longer wrist seal but I'm confident in the Rolock now. Just need to pressure test or perhaps fill with water to really test it out.

The overall diameter will be the same as the Rolock and of course everything is reversible.

1000001816.jpg
1000001818.jpg
1000001819.jpg
1000001820.jpg
1000001821.jpg

What isn't shown is shortening them using first a parting tool then hacksaw and the clean up work with a file and sandpaper. You could probably 3D print these since they carry no pressure.
The whole thing doesn't have the positive click the cuffs usually have but it takes a tool to separate and the sealing surface is long. If it leaks anywhere it'll be between the suit cuff and adapter.
I'm using old marigolds to seal between the parts and not running seals. I'm very confident in the Rolocks, we'll see how things go on adapters.

Please don't take this as an attack as it is not meant to be...my intent in writing this is to help prevent folks from inadvertently buying the wrong product for the cuff system they have, which has already happened to another Scuba Board poster not too long ago:

Your idea is novel and I hope it works well for you but is not really a viable DIY solution for most folks for the following reasons:

1. One needs a lathe to modify the the si-tech quick cuff stiff rings.

2. There are perfectly suitable solutions for glove ring systems for the Si-tech Quick Cuff platform ring system.

3. There is a Rolock ring set (just not the Rolock 90) that can be added to the Si-tech Quick Cuff rings with a modification that requires far less tools/work to accomplish.

4. This seems to be the type of mod that one forces on themselves because they refuse to accept the mismatch in parts they have to acquired and are not willing to sell the incompatible pieces and purchase the proper fitting components.

Hats off to you for making this work, but it is more of a bodge than a hack.

For the inexperienced reading this, the Rolock 90 is designed to integrate with the Si-Tech QCS Oval ring system. The mod discussed is an adaptation of the older larger round Si-Tech Quick Cuff Platform (QCP) ring system. The preferred glove system for the QCP rings is the Si-Tech Glove Lock dryglove rings.

As with any DIY mod, "your mileage may vary".

-Z

Of course, but I have the 90s and I don't want to invest in the Quick Cuff system because it's at an evolutionary dead end. Plus the Rolock 2/3 has more bulk from what I've seen where the diameter of these is about the same as the cuff.

What I do have is a lathe, some spare parts, 2 hours and cost nothing on my end. I may sketch it out and 3D print a better version eventually (or if this doesn't work).

Long term I'll likely just change to the oval cuffs since I like the smaller diameter but this gets me diving the suit now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom