Rolock 90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. Is there any reason you need to wear the wrist seals if it's cold and you're just going to use dry gloves? In other words, does anyone just take the seals out in the winter and then put them back in and use wet gloves in the summer? Is there any advantage or disadvantage? Seems if I know I am going to just wear dry gloves, I can save wear and tear on the wrist seal and have no need for any extra equalizing gadget? Then if the water is warmer, put the seal in and wear like a 3mm wet glove.

You dont need to have the wrist sealed but you will need wrist seal material between the PU ring and the cuff-side ring of the system in order for the rings themselves to seal and prevent ingress of water. What some do is cut the seals back to the ring so they effectively do not have a wrist seal. Those that do this say that it makes their suit easier to put on and their hands are warmer as they have constant and good exchange of air into the gloves.

The drawback as has been pointed out is that if your glove gets a tear/puncture or otherwise leakes then your suit is more likely to flood.

-Z

What size hands can you fit through the Rolock90 rings, with let's say a medium loft glove liner?

The inner diameter of the Rolock 90 is 90mm

For comparison the inner diameter of the Waterproof Uptima DGS is @ 90mm

And

The inner diameter of the Si-Tech Virgo system is @ 86mm.

All three systems measured at their narrowest point.

I have average size hands for a 5ft 10in tall male. My hands fit through all three systems without any issues even with thick insulating gloves on.

-Z

The inner diameter of the Rolock 90 is 90mm

For comparison the inner diameter of the Waterproof Uptima DGS is @ 90mm

And

The inner diameter of the Si-Tech Virgo system is @ 86mm.

All three systems measured at their narrowest point.

I have average size hands for a 5ft 10in tall male. My hands fit through all three systems without any issues even with thick insulating gloves on.

-Z
Thanks Zef. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this setup.

I may be able to get a good deal on a close out XCS2 drysuit that comes with the standard latex wrist seals (no cuffs). They want an absolutely ridiculous amount to install the SiTech oval cuff rings on this blank before sending it to me. If my intention is to just get the Rolock 90 system anyway, which replaces the oval Sitech ring, really all I need is the basic cuff ring correct? Can anyone here tell me what the minimum I would need from the follow web site to have on my cuff to support the Rolock 90 system? Do you think it would be a difficult DIY job to remove the latex seal and add the basic cuff myself? Thanks. FYI, yes I know there are solutions to attach another Rolock system to the existing latex seal. I would prefer to have it attach to an installed cuff versus a latex seal.

SITech Dry Glove Quick Cuff System - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Would it just be a couple of these, and the Rolock90 wrist rings would go into these?

PU-Ring for Oval systems (Each) - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

That's what I thought. Bare quotes the dive shop $190 to install those with silicone seals. On that web site, I can buy the QCS oval cuff system with silicone seals for around $60. I was also gonna get the Quick Neck system and they quoted that $209 installed on the blank. The DIY Quick Neck system on the web site is around $74.

So between the cuffs and neck ring systems it would be around $400 installed or $135ish DIY. Even if I assume another $15 in glue etc, it would be about $250 less DIY. If it was an extra $100 for everything installed, I would say go for it. But $250 is real money for me at least. Anyone have thoughts on how hard it would be to DIY for these cuff rings and Neck system?

That's what I thought. Bare quotes the dive shop $190 to install those with silicone seals. On that web site, I can buy the QCS oval cuff system with silicone seals for around $60. I was also gonna get the Quick Neck system and they quoted that $209 installed on the blank. The DIY Quick Neck system on the web site is around $74.

So between the cuffs and neck ring systems it would be around $400 installed or $135ish DIY. Even if I assume another $15 in glue etc, it would be about $250 less DIY. If it was an extra $100 for everything installed, I would say go for it. But $250 is real money for me at least. Anyone have thoughts on how hard it would be to DIY for these cuff rings and Neck system?
Just get the suit from Seaskin and they will install all of it and it will be custom made for you.

It depends on your DIY-ability. It is not rocket science but you can easily and royally mess things up. There are also some unknowns, like will the PU rings fit your sleeve cuffs or will the sleeves need to be trimmed? Will you buy the correct product or will you glue the wrong PU ring in only to find out after? Will your prep work and glue choice be adequate to make a proper bond that will last?

There are videos on youtube of the process and discussion threads with pics on scubaboard. If you can find those resources you probably have a 50% or better chance of doing this succesfully yourself.

Or, you can keep the latex seals on the suit you buy and use the Rolock 3 system, which is designed to be used with them.

-Z

I have glued PU rings into my suit. It's not hard at all. It is a little time consuming, but I'm in the same boat as you $250, $300 or whatever in labor to install is a big hit. Plus, at the end of the day, I still can't install anything myself if I let someone else do it. I installed the PU rings and have since installed a P valve...every time it gets easier. Next will probably be a neck ring at some point.

With that said, my suit was used. It's a neoprene suit (so stretches a good bit) and I have read people having issues with the cuff of some suits not being the right size.

I like @lexvil suggestion, just get the suit the way you want from Seaskin. That would be easy and done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom