"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Cthippo , you disagreed with my statement that scuba mfrs will say they're not appliances.

Can you share more? Is there hope?
All of us DIYers should form an organization and press the issue because with enough backing the concept of “appliance “ can be applied.

Here is the definition of appliance.
If anybody can figure out a way for this to stick without them slithering out from under it. It’s maybe too vague. With a sharp enough team if attorneys maybe? But at what cost?

Well, that didn't last long.

Now that I've read the text, it looks like scuba manufacturers will say that "they're not appliances".

Maybe in two MORE years...
Scuba manufacturers that take this stand deserve to go out of business. That's absolutely ridiculous.

@Cthippo , you disagreed with my statement that scuba mfrs will say they're not appliances.

Can you share more? Is there hope?
No, just expressing my frustration with this outcome. I am staunchly anti-corporate and was really hoping this would be a place where government would stick a knife in greed.

I'm not sure anyone should be stocking parts for, or attempting to repair, electronics that have a wholesale cost of less than $100. Certainly anyone who was capable of replacing parts in them would not want to do it.

I'm not sure anyone should be stocking parts for, or attempting to repair, electronics that have a wholesale cost of less than $100. Certainly anyone who was capable of replacing parts in them would not want to do it.
There are people who simply enjoy working with their hands and fixing things. If it isn't too onerous, I do fix inexpensive things. I consider doing so as a means of improving how mechanically inclined I am.

EDIT: I'm the second owner of my house. There's all sorts of stuff that was f-ed up by the people who built the place. I just was doing some electrical work where I found all these outlets and switches without the ground wires connected. So there is a leap of faith I take when I hands things off to a professional.

There are people who simply enjoy working with their hands and fixing things. If it isn't too onerous, I do fix inexpensive things. I consider doing so as a means of improving how mechanically inclined I am.

EDIT: I'm the second owner of my house. There's all sorts of stuff that was f-ed up by the people who built the place. I just was doing some electrical work where I found all these outlets and switches without the ground wires connected. So there is a leap of faith I take when I hands things off to a professional.
It is not a matter of trusting the pro's. I had my regs checked one time by a dive shop. They failed open the first dive.

And I often try to fix things that shouldn't be fixed. My problem is to mandate parts and repair information on something that the manufacturer would never stock parts for or repair. Any warranty would be handled by replacing the item if the wholesale price was under $100. If the manufacturers are required to have repair information and parts that item will have to be more expensive. Or not be sold in California.

I run a general repair shop. We fix everything. I firmly believe in "right to repair" but there should be limits.

And I often try to fix things that shouldn't be fixed. My problem is to mandate parts and repair information on something that the manufacturer would never stock parts for or repair. Any warranty would be handled by replacing the item if the wholesale price was under $100. If the manufacturers are required to have repair information and parts that item will have to be more expensive. Or not be sold in California.

I run a general repair shop. We fix everything. I firmly believe in "right to repair" but there should be limits.
That's fair. A reasonable line needs to be drawn. But who decides? That is part of the problem. For the scuba industry, if parts can be provided to dive shops to repair, those same parts can be made available to the public.

That's fair. A reasonable line needs to be drawn. But who decides? That is part of the problem. For the scuba industry, if parts can be provided to dive shops to repair, those same parts can be made available to the public.
I don't expect much out of California legislation but it would seem reasonable to offer the same repair information and parts that the dealers have available. Pricing then becomes the issue.

Here is the definition of appliance.
If anybody can figure out a way for this to stick without them slithering out from under it. It’s maybe too vague. With a sharp enough team if attorneys maybe? But at what cost?
Eric when looking at laws, the dictionary definition does not apply. You need to look at the legal definition which can vary from code section to code section. From the provided link:

(3) (A) “Electronic or appliance product” or “product” means a product, manufactured for the first time, and first sold or used in California, on or after July 1, 2021, described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code for which the manufacturer makes available tools, parts, and documentation to authorized repair providers, and includes products described in those subdivisions that are sold to schools, businesses, local governments, or in other methods outside of direct retail sale.

(B) “Electronic or appliance product” or “product” does not include any of the following:
(i) Equipment or repair parts as defined in Chapter 28 (commencing with Section 22900) of Division 8 of the Business and Professions Code.
(ii) A product or component of an “alarm system” as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 7590.1 of the Business and Professions Code, including a fire protection system, as defined in the California Fire Code.
(iii) A video game console.

I am not sure what they mean by direct retail sales. My interpretation is that it means the manufacturer sells direct to the consumer, but I am not sure if that is the intention of the legislature. You need to speak to your representative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom