"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about Scubapro sell parts to anyone that takes their class opened to certified scuba divers. Selling training courses could be a new revenue stream. Seems silly dive shops won’t hiring you (reg Tech) without having the certification and yet you can’t take the Scubapro training if your not working for a shop.

Quite the conundrum!

Picking out which cronies get to capitalize will be tough.

That is easy, regulations should largely be limited to consumer protection, worker safety, and environmental conservation.

I mentioned before that I have a large list of regulations that I have to comply with. Some I roll my eyes at, but most are reasonable to keep people safe. And I don't mind them because when I show up at another business I know that there are supposed to be fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, and such.

That is easy, regulations should largely be limited to consumer protection, worker safety, and environmental conservation.

I mentioned before that I have a large list of regulations that I have to comply with. Some I roll my eyes at, but most are reasonable to keep people safe. And I don't mind them because when I show up at another business I know that there are supposed to be fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, and such.

Well, duh... you're the consumer. Why wouldn't you love more consumer protection laws?

What do right to repair and the FTC have to do with environmental or safety rules?

Well, duh... you're the consumer. Why wouldn't you love more consumer protection laws?

What do right to repair and the FTC have to do with environmental or safety rules?

You asked which regulations should be allowed, I gave a list of the types that I think are generally ok. Obviously most are not going to be enforced by the FTC. You have OSHA for workers safety laws, and the EPA for environmental conservation.

I've given numerous examples of consumer protection laws that almost everyone benefits from today. If it weren't for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, if you cared about your warranty you would have to get all your service done at the dealer. If you think the current prices for routine MX are high, just think how high it would be if you were required to use the dealer for everything?

And I think allowing consumer access to parts that they sell, and basic schematics is reasonable. And don't give me the "But schematics can be used by their competitors." A competitor can easily buy one and disassemble it themselves. Heck there are companies that do that already. Some do it on contract, others do it for a single industry and already have the reports compiled.

Well, that didn't last long.

Now that I've read the text, it looks like scuba manufacturers will say that "they're not appliances".

Maybe in two MORE years...

Well, that didn't last long.

Now that I've read the text, it looks like scuba manufacturers will say that "they're not appliances".

Maybe in two MORE years...
The text doesn’t seem to be twistable enough to cover scuba gear but amending it could be in the works.

New news!
Does this mean we can demand service manuals and parts from Scubapro?

It means you could do that for Scubapro computers and lights (collectively electronics). That being said, I would expect the first time most companies encounter this, they'll ignore it until some agency or lawyer forces the issue.

The limitation in the wording is related to farming and tractors - I believe requested by some farmer PAC whose name I cannot recall.

To be clear, though. It's already illegal (and has been since 1975) to void a warranty because someone worked on a product who was not an "authorized" service center. Scubapro's been doing that for decades with no repercussions, so I don't expect them to follow this new law either. See: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

@Cthippo , you disagreed with my statement that scuba mfrs will say they're not appliances.

Can you share more? Is there hope?

Back
Top Bottom