"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that didn't last long.
Now that I've read the text, it looks like scuba manufacturers will say that "they're not appliances".

Maybe in two MORE years...
Even as a foreigner I'm interested: this law is encouraging because getting traction in a large jurisdictions can "spread" influence across borders.

So: in California will scuba manufacturers reasonably be able to say their gear are not appliances? The bill says that to be an appliance it must be "... described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code".
BPC9801
It says:
"(i) “Appliance” or “major home appliance” includes, but is not limited to, any refrigerator, freezer, range, microwave oven, washer, dryer, dishwasher, trash compactor, or room air-conditioner normally used or sold for personal, family, household, or home office use, or for use in private motor vehicles."

Plenty of wiggle room for scuba manufacturers. Pity. Is that that relevant section, or is my google-fu fading?

A welcome change, just stopping them from hunting down the online publishing of manuals and schematics would be nice.

a welcome change indeed!

I have a ton of manuals and schematics, put it all on a flash drive and sent it to VDH a few years back and also for a few SB members.

Happy to do the same for anyone who asks, cost of flash drive and shipping.

Offers there.

Might start a thread🤔
Maybe since air decompressing is like refrigeration as it cools, it then is an appliance:wink:

Other stuff that had issues with repair it yourself:

I had my now 35-year-old Food Saver Vacuum Seal Machine accidentally sucked up smoke fish juices into the machine vacuum pump when sealing a bag of smoked fish I made. Important to keep the bag below the machine height. Be by the edge of a counter top to do this. Live and learn.

I ended up taking the machine apart and needed a reed valve that was heavily gummed up with brown sugar and salt and fishy solution.

I call the company and got info on an authorized repair center to get parts. They said bring it in an let’s see. I really should have known the guy was just baiting me so he could do the repair. So, after making a long trek to the store and finding out the guy had just that in mind, he would not sell the part. He would only repair it. For the cost of buying a new one, why bother letting him fix it.

Quite rattled, I did have some fun by going to Fisherman's Wharf anyway.

Later at home I decided to soak the parts of the vacuum pump in warm soapy water. It took as best I recall about two weeks. Then it came clean and I reassembled it all an it worked as new.

Of recent I had used it to seal up and freeze some great dry rub brine Alder Wood Smoked Sable Fish I buy from fisher people that show up on Saturdays down town to sell fish fresh caught here in Mendocino County CA.

I expect my labor was worth something as this stuff can be like 50 dollars a pound. The fish with just head removed is not anywhere near that costly. The side wood box on the huge smoker grill, was being marked down at Orchard Supply Hardware Store (now out of business) for 99 bucks.
Now I have replaced the main grill ash pan from the manufacture’s web page and shipped to me, so it keeps on going!

What is strange about this law is that a big proponent of right to repair are farmers that cannot service their own machinery because of industry practices.
What’s even more strange is that it’s happening in a state that’s trying to ban all the things that the law supposedly gives people a right to repair. I thought the plan was to take advantage of the breakdown of combustion engines and gas stoves to force the populace the buy expensive (or non existent) and lower performing electric models.

What’s even more strange is that it’s happening in a state that’s trying to ban all the things that the law supposedly gives people a right to repair. I thought the plan was to take advantage of the breakdown of combustion engines and gas stoves to force the populace the buy expensive (or non existent) and lower performing electric models.
Barring the sale of ICE cars and improving the repairability of them are not mutually exclusive concepts. Not that I wholeheartedly agree with the latter, but I'm guessing that fixing a reasonably modern car is probably less environmentally impactful than scrapping it and building a new one. But I think the intent of California's R2R legislation stems largely from consumer rights/freedoms, with the (possible) environmental benefit being a distant 2nd.

Yeah, the all electric pipe dream. We can’t even generate enough electricity now, I don’t know what they think is going to happen when everyone comes home in the evening and plugs in their cars then cook dinner on an electric stove.
What they need to do is redesign and rezone cities and end suburbia so that everyone living within a city limit can live a pedestrian lifestyle instead of needing to getting into a car to go do anything.
That means re-zoning these vast residential only neighborhoods and allow mixed zoning, light commercial, stores, grocery, etc.
You should be able to walk to get anything you need and not have to get into a car.
If you live in the country, well then you’re on your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom