rethinking spring strap blocks for jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-ninio

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been working on my own variant of spring straps for SG jets, and I finally realized that the delrin blocks are a HUGE overkill. as a matter of fact, if you connect the spring strate to the SS backle, the blocks are only used to stablize the setup and to prevent lines from getting hooked up on the spring. no real force is ever placed apon the blocks. and even if they shatter, your straps still work!
you could easily make them out of molded plastic that could be placed over the original backes, with out haveing to cut them off, and it would work just as well (and cost about 1$ for a set of 4). if you make them right, they would bend in the middle, wrap around the backle and lock into place with a molded locking setup. no fudd, no place for lines to get james, and about 15$ a pair :)
now, all I need is to find me someone that can manufacture the plastic coversm, and Ill be rich :0)

as for mu current desighn: the blocks are made of black delrin, about 26mmX16mmX30mm (or 28mm, I;m still wokring onthe deatails.)
in one of the 16mmX26mm sides I drilled a 12mm hol, sbout 14-16mm deap. I made a grove, about 14mm deap, throw the long dimention of the same side. that I have now is U shaped from the side. I added two hols for scrows (cone headed allen wrench) that go from near the corners of the 26X30 side, throw the grove and into the other side.

to install this, you remove the moving part of the buckle, attach the spring and the cave line to the backle, and then slide the block over the backle so that the spring goose into the 12mm hole. put the scrows through the small holes, and you are done.

I will try to post a picture tomorow.

as you can see, the origianl SP hardware is kept intacked. The setup is streamlined, sits tight behind the rubbre mountpoints and if worse comes to wores and you have to remove the sprinrngs on a dive trip, all you need is an allen scrowdriver and a regular rubber strap.

Good job.
I might be tempted to file/round off the corners, but otherwise a great job.

Well done.

1) Inexpensive
2) Meets your needs
3) Minimal or no other gear mods
4) You can do it yourself.

IT MAY not be DIR but it is WFM (Works For Me!)

Mike D

mddolson once bubbled...
Good job.
I might be tempted to file/round off the corners, but otherwise a great job.

Well done.

1) Inexpensive
2) Meets your needs
3) Minimal or no other gear mods
4) You can do it yourself.

IT MAY not be DIR but it is WFM (Works For Me!)

Mike D

why do you think it's not DIR?

and as for the corners:

Pug 's right, I'm just yankin your chain.

Seriously I think they are great and are indeed DIR.

I lean heavily towards the DIR confguration. ( I dive with a backplate and wing, and 7 ft hose). Stream lining is important, but I am not a "DIR" purist. I am not using Jet or Turtle fins, (my Turtles wore out after 20 years) and I have a dump valve on my BC inflator hose, so to the purist, I am not DIR. I have, however put spring straps on my Mares Volo fins. I used SS shackles. So technically although I'm not "Doing It Right"......... It Works for me.

I am sorry if you thought I was implying your Blocks aren't DIR. I did not intend that. My point is it doesn't matter if they are DIR or Not, as long as they work for you! If they are DIR .... BONUS!

best regards

Mike D

That's the way that I make my buckles too. It just seems to be the easiest way to make them that doesn't require destroying your fins in the process. :)

If you want an even cooler look, turn the buckles around so that the screw heads are on the inside. Sleek, black, yummy... :)

-Frank =-)

the blocks will not be able to turn and get over the rubber "ear" of the fins unless you push the "bar" down away from the blocks.
but first you need to push the springs into the blocks - this you have to do horozantly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom