jumping off high platforms with spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ark7750

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Fins come off when jumping from 20 feet with snorkel gear. Have large post fins, and use ratcheting flat straps with plastic hardware, but the plastic hardware breaks... I see there are metal brackets with holes and bolt/nut that is installed so the bracket is trapped and can't come off the post,, that's all good,,, and that they go over large 20mm posts, that's good,,, but they are all spring straps with a cave line inside so the spring doesn't stretch too much. ...I need flat straps, no springs allowed, jumping out of helicopters. Anyway, anyone know of a large post fin strap that has the metal post receiver with the 20mm/13mm holes/bolt I mentioned above,, but which uses a ratchet rubber strap, or some kind of flat strap with that uses something like the old jet fin wire buckle,, but must be mounted or secured to 20mm flange/13mm throat post. I can't find anything like that.

Have you tried jumping in the water without your fins on?

1658980411016.png

1658980371997.png

Not allowed to jump without fins on. Most use the jetfins with the wire buckle and flat straps, so they don't have an issue.

ASD, I just noticed the picture you posted, interesting suggestion,, maybe I could lash something like that up and use it with spring straps on an open heel fin. thanks.

Fins come off when jumping from 20 feet with snorkel gear. Have large post fins, and use ratcheting flat straps with plastic hardware, but the plastic hardware breaks... I see there are metal brackets with holes and bolt/nut that is installed so the bracket is trapped and can't come off the post,, that's all good,,, and that they go over large 20mm posts, that's good,,, but they are all spring straps with a cave line inside so the spring doesn't stretch too much. ...I need flat straps, no springs allowed, jumping out of helicopters. Anyway, anyone know of a large post fin strap that has the metal post receiver with the 20mm/13mm holes/bolt I mentioned above,, but which uses a ratchet rubber strap, or some kind of flat strap with that uses something like the old jet fin wire buckle,, but must be mounted or secured to 20mm flange/13mm throat post. I can't find anything like that.

@John C. Ratliff

rx7diver and ark7750:

I have a bit of experience with both parascuba jumps and jumping from a helicopter. I usually used Scubapro Jet Fins, which have a metal buckle or my own "Scoop Fin" I made from White Stag fins. The Jet Fins are still being made, and work well out of helicopters. For our parascuba jumps, we usually used these fins (or duck feet fins, which have a continuous strap that has no buckle). Both are available. You may be able to get the strap for a Jet Fin from Scubapro.

We also took another precaution of using masking tape to tape the fins to our feet. Masking tape will help keep the fins from flying off during a parascuba jump into the prop blast of a HC-130 Hercules aircraft, and will also help keep the fins on the feet on a helicopter jump. Fin keepers may help, but are also stretchy; the taping, we found, works better.

For a helicopter jump, try to tell the flight engineer to get the helicopter to 15 feet or lower. Jumping from 20 feet is a bit "iffy" as it is more difficult to keep a feet-down orientation from that height (from experience). Relying upon the pilot to determine height is problematical, as the pilots do not have a good perspective to see how high they are, and their instruments may not tell height over the water (altitude is not height over water). In many helicopters, pilots cannot see directly down too. It's best to have another person in the door directing the pilot.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Parascuba Jump-Okinawa-1.jpg
    Parascuba Jump-Okinawa-1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 65
  •  HH-34 Water Pickup.jpg
    HH-34 Water Pickup.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 58
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom