Restructuring Florida, Take Two...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.... :blush:

The proposed new forum structure that we've been trying to implement over the weekend has been discussed at length in the back room with input from the Advisors, all (Florida) mods and other Floridians. The final proposal was approved by a majority of the Advisors.

Given the number of forum requests that have popped up in the last few days it is clear that not all of you agree with the new structure.

Hence this thread: Restructuring Florida, Take Two. :)

We're asking for your input in this matter. Implementing the previous structure as well as the current forum requests will be put on hold. Please note that for consistency reasons the final implemented forum structure will have to be similar to the outline below.

1 Florida Conch Divers
2 --Trips and Local Marketplace... Florida Conch Divers (with trader ratings)
3 --Calendar

4 --Subforums A, B, C...
5 ----Trips and Local Marketplace... A, B, C... (with trader ratings)
6 ----Calendar A, B, C...

7 --Club forums 1, 2, 3...
8 ----Calendar 1, 2, 3...

1 is mandatory, 2-8 are optional.

The number of club forums is not limited but must be motivated properly (FAQ).

The creation of a subforum is not a given, it will need to be approved by the SB Staff.

Don't forget to read the FAQ.

The number of club forums is not limited but must be motivated properly.

The creation of a subforum is not a given, it will need to be approved by the SB Staff.

Don't forget to read the FAQ.

OK, let's hear your suggestions.

ah well honstly, I think the north and south is ridiculous, and I like that your trying to fix it.
But at the same time, I think 14 forums for FLorida is a little bit ridiculous, personally if i'm planning something i'm going to post it int he Main forum, unless I only want central florida people to come.
If all of Florida is invited, then i'll put it int he main one. I think less is more for keeping the Florida Conch divers united as a whole.

May I respectfully suggest that a calendar for each sub not be used. A single calendar provides a central point of reference for events versus 2..4...5. It would also make coordination easier between multiple groups wanting to have events that would involve people from the various regions as they would be able to clearly see currently planned or tentative events and schedule accordingly.

Also, there are events or information that is better shared in the main forum for everyone and some items that are regional specific. For that reason, having a main forum which no posts can be put would create a point of discommunication.

But it seems that it was not discussed with the rank and file before changes were inacted. It just happened.

Forewarned is forearmed so to speak for the masses.

The back room as you put it must be an exclusive club......I'm a Floridian and I've never been asked for any input.

I'm not usually on ScubaBoard often enough to have a huge opinion on how to do things, but I absolutely have to agree on only one calendar for Florida. If I want to dive, I want to have one place to go to see who's doing what, when and where, so that I can decide if I want to just run up to Venice Beach for the morning, or if I want to hook up with ScubaFool and some of the other central divers for a camping/diving weekend, or if I want to head to the other coast for a scheduled clean-up and a weekend at Scuba_Jenny's.

Please, please, please - one calendar!!

Thank you!

Kris

I like the Idea of a single calendar also.
The only issue I can see arise is where the lines are going to be drawn and what to call what area.

I'd say lose the Subforum A, B, C leaf altogether. Trips and Calendar should be statewide, IMHO.

And put three or four regional labels on X number of regional or site-specific unrestricted "clubs." Add other clubs as TOS allows.

Florida Conch Divers
--Trips and Local Marketplace... Florida Conch Divers
--Calendar

--Club forums Springs, Panhandle, Gulfstream, Tampa Bay, Gold Coast, Miami and Keys, FDIR, FINI, FIKI...

michaelb51:
I'd say lose the Subforum A, B, C leaf altogether. Trips and Calendar should be statewide, IMHO.

And put three or four regional labels on X number of regional or site-specific unrestricted "clubs."

Love the one calendar idea. I like knowing that I can look and see that "Joe" is doing a dive on Sunday at xyz place - I can then go to that thread and join, if I should like to. Also think the labeling of certain geographical locations/unrestricted clubs is the best way to go IMO, all under the umbrella of Conch, of course.

A Geographical map, cross referenced with a county map, as I suggested before, tells u almost exactly where to split the geographical locations. I also think it is necessary. We are surrounded on three sides by water. We have all different kinds of diving...

Now on a personal note, I don't particularly care to be labeled as part of a club myself. I think it causes people to shy away. I like being perceived as open, ready to share info, ready to dive, and ready to assist visitors and new members to the board in feeling comfortable. IMO, and I speak only for myself, small labeled clubs automatically give people the feeling of being on the outside.

Edited to add: I guess one could consider the calendar the umbrella, if you will. The Conch Calendar - it tells you who is diving and what geographical location the thread is in. You could do that with colors possibly. Springs/Cave dives appear in blue on the calendar and so forth - keeps it pretty simple. That way one knows to go to the springs section to find the dive. :ne_nau:

Missdirected:
Love the one calendar idea. I like knowing that I can look and see that "Joe" is doing a dive on Sunday at xyz place - I can then go to that thread and join, if I should like to. Also think the labeling of certain geographical locations/unrestricted clubs is the best way to go IMO, all under the umbrella of Conch, of course.

A Geographical map, cross referenced with a county map, as I suggested before, tells u almost exactly where to split the geographical locations. I also think it is necessary. We are surrounded on three sides by water. We have all different kinds of diving...

Now on a personal note, I don't particularly care to be labeled as part of a club myself. I think it causes people to shy away. I like being perceived as open, ready to share info, ready to dive, and ready to assist visitors and new members to the board in feeling comfortable. IMO, and I speak only for myself, small labeled clubs automatically give people the feeling of being on the outside.

So basically what El put up except change the wording to xxx forums and add a geographical map with boundries?
I would add maybe a link from the map to the specific region for lack of a better term.

I actually live and dive in the panhandle and think that the whole area ,Mississippi,Alabama,and the panhandle should be under one as the spearboard has it.
The upper gulf coast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom