Restructuring Florida, Take Two...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
Forgive me for asking, as I have only tried to use the calendar once, and failed miserably, but is it possible to link to the thread discussing the event directly from the calendar?
Yes, you can enter the link in the event description.

Missdirected:
The Conch Calendar - it tells you who is diving and what geographical location the thread is in. You could do that with colors possibly. Springs/Cave dives appear in blue on the calendar and so forth - keeps it pretty simple.
Unfortunately, the use of colours in the calendar is not possible.

Of course, each thread could be prefixed. For instance 'PH' could indicate an event in the Panhandle. The legend for these prefixes can also be displayed on the calendar page.

A possible prefix legend could be:
  • CV - Cave(rn);
  • EC - East Coast;
  • KY - The Keys;
  • PH - Panhandle;
  • SP - The Springs;
  • WC - West Coast.

El Orans:

Of course, each thread could be prefixed. For instance 'PH' could indicate an event in the Panhandle. The legend for these prefixes can also be displayed on the calendar page.

• CV - Cave(rn);
  • EC - East Coast;
  • KY - The Keys;
  • PH - Panhandle;
  • SP - The Springs;
  • WC - West Coast.

Coding, same thing. Works for me.

Note, you are going to have springs all over Florida. That said someone is not going to travel to the odd-ball one's necessarily. Hence, why the Springs/Caves are called "Cave Country" - it is a specific concentrated area of caves and springs. This man has the spots set-up beautifully: http://www.tampadiving.com/sections/diving/cave_systems.asp

So to begin at the top of the state, you'd have the panhandle (which isn't just FL but everyone that is going there knows that), Spring/Cave Country, Greater Tampa Bay Area, and so forth.

Note, I get the feeling many people think I want the Tampa name all for me or something. This is not the case at all. So to clarify; we have a couple of cities on the bay and in this county. Hence, why national news, and others refer to us as the Tampa Bay area. This was the reason for my always saying "Greater Tampa Bay". No more, no less. That said, I think it should stay that way. It is easy for visitors/new-comers to identify with. Anytime one can make things easier/clearer it should be done.

Repectfully,

-Miss

Walter:
I don't like the idea of clubs.

I was using clubs for lack of a better word :D

Regions would probably have been a better choice :)

BRANDY:
I actually live and dive in the panhandle and think that the whole area ,Mississippi,Alabama,and the panhandle should be under one as the spearboard has it.
The upper gulf coast

I dunno how this would fit in hte scheme of things, but another vote for what Brandy said. I'm hitting AL/Panhandle areas all the time, and it's weird having to bounce between forums to do it, especially when it's all the same people in both forums.

BRANDY:
Upper Gulf Coast / Springs

I agree with Brandy and BugMan and ShagMan. I think that the Panhandle and Deep Dixie should be united. We plan dive trips sometimes that include dives in both Alabama and Florida and I don't know which forum to post them in and I don't want to duplicate and link to the other thread. :)

denisegg:
I agree with Brandy and BugMan and ShagMan. I think that the Panhandle and Deep Dixie should be united. We plan dive trips sometimes that include dives in both Alabama and Florida and I don't know which forum to post them in and I don't want to duplicate and link to the other thread. :)

I disagree on uniting Panhandle and Deep Dixie. Your perscpective is based on living in South Alabama and coastal/spring diving.

There is a lot of "inland diving" that goes on in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, etc.

I don't think you'd categorize a dive at Martha's Quarry outside Nashville as "Gulf coast". Maybe if you want to move the Alabama Panhandle (or "nub") to the Gulf Coast subforum that'd be fine, but not all of Deep Dixie should go.

As for Florida Panhandle posts that you read in the Deep Dixie Forum, it's often because many of the people going are from Bama, Tenn, or Georgia. It's also often put there because it doesn't get messed with as much by the MOD's who in the past have fussed about certain threads being in the FL Conch forum.

El Orans:

• CV - Cave(rn);
  • EC - East Coast;
  • KY - The Keys;
  • PH - Panhandle;
  • SP - The Springs;
  • WC - West Coast.

I doubt people will follow protocol and prefix the threads. There are already too many threads on "Dive _______ location this WEEKEND" with the weekend date not specificied in the title.

On CV (Cave) and SP (Springs), many of the Springs are Caves. most all the caves are springs. I think you need a "Cave Country" area for the area around Ginnie where the rest of the majority of the cave diving is done.

KY - The Keys?

KY makes it seem like "Kentucky"

hmm.... we better watch out for those "KY Jelly-fish" next time we're down there.

mike_s:
KY makes it seem like "Kentucky"

hmm.... we better watch out for those "KY Jelly-fish" next time we're down there.
Yep, KY has some other meanings. :) KS would be Kansas. KE? :shakehead

Split them up even more? UK, LK?

mike_s:
It's also often put there because it doesn't get messed with as much by the MOD's who in the past have fussed about certain threads being in the FL Conch forum.
We'll know where to look for them now... :evil:

Seriously now, if it's Florida, it should be in the Conchs forum. If it's part Alabama, part Florida it can go either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom