Restructuring Florida, Take Two...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Maybe if you want to move the Alabama Panhandle (or "nub") to the Gulf Coast subforum that'd be fine, but not all of Deep Dixie should go.
At the moment we're only focused on a new structure for Florida, we're not looking at an expansion. :)

This is my main question - Are the subforums meant to be divided by dive locations or by where SBers live??

For example, I really want a Greater Orlando Area subforum for divers who live in the area to meet and greet and plan trips together. (And of course welcome and help guide the millions of visitors we get to that place where the mouse lives).

But we really don't have too many dive sites to talk about...

Also - where would trip reports and conditions go??

dldiver:
For example, I really want a Greater Orlando Area subforum for divers who live in the area to meet and greet and plan trips together. (And of course welcome and help guide the millions of visitors we get to that place where the mouse lives).
That sounds more like a club forum than a subforum.

dldiver:
Also - where would trip reports and conditions go??
It depends. If you're just posting information for your own group, then the club forum would be the best location. On the other hand, if you want to share the info with other divers, the relevant (sub)forum would be the best location.

El Orans:
That sounds more like a club forum than a subforum.

Please forgive me in advance as I'm still learning the correct techincal language for all this...
What's the difference between a club and sub-forum?
Isn't this whole discussion is under the "Regional Travel and Dive Clubs" Forum??

What is the "Greater Tampa Happy Hour" considered?? I wanna be like them!! :D

help me help me!! :)

I have to agree with sone others on Pensacola and Alabama Gulf Coast being one.

SeaYoda:
I guess we all read things different - go figure :D .

I was OK with one trips forum and one main conch forum. I always posted my dive plan in the trip forum and my dive report in the main forum. If we have to make a change, I would plan trips in different regions and post dive reports in one main conch forum. If general chatter is getting lost in the one main conch forum, then subforums are needed (Keys-Springs-SE Coast-SW Coast-NE Coast-St Pete to Big bend-Panhandle.). If there are subforums, dive plans, dive reports, and chatter can go in the regional subforum - no need for North / South division at all, no need for trips forums for each subforum (traffic should be low in each regional subforum so nothing will be lost) - only have one calender for those who use it (I have never looked at the calender, I look in a forum for a thread).

My two choices for Florida restructure II would look like:

First choice
Florida Conch Divers
.......Trips and Local Marketplace
.......Calendar

Second choice (If we must divide)
Florida Conch Divers
.......Calender
.......Keys subforum
.......Central Springs subforum
.......SE Coast subforum
.......SW Coast subforum
.......St Pete to Big bend subforum
.......Panhandle subforum

I like the old wise one's suggestion as well

mike_s:
I disagree on uniting Panhandle and Deep Dixie. Your perscpective is based on living in South Alabama and coastal/spring diving.

There is a lot of "inland diving" that goes on in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, etc.

I don't think you'd categorize a dive at Martha's Quarry outside Nashville as "Gulf coast". Maybe if you want to move the Alabama Panhandle (or "nub") to the Gulf Coast subforum that'd be fine, but not all of Deep Dixie should go.

As for Florida Panhandle posts that you read in the Deep Dixie Forum, it's often because many of the people going are from Bama, Tenn, or Georgia. It's also often put there because it doesn't get messed with as much by the MOD's who in the past have fussed about certain threads being in the FL Conch forum.
I have to say this makes good sense, heck we dive the same dive sites from Orange Beach and Pensacola in the Gulf.
Here is SpearBoards
"Upper Gulfcoast
This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana."

+1
SeaYoda:
I guess we all read things different - go figure :D .

I was OK with one trips forum and one main conch forum. I always posted my dive plan in the trip forum and my dive report in the main forum. If we have to make a change, I would plan trips in different regions and post dive reports in one main conch forum. If general chatter is getting lost in the one main conch forum, then subforums are needed (Keys-Springs-SE Coast-SW Coast-NE Coast-St Pete to Big bend-Panhandle.). If there are subforums, dive plans, dive reports, and chatter can go in the regional subforum - no need for North / South division at all, no need for trips forums for each subforum (traffic should be low in each regional subforum so nothing will be lost) - only have one calender for those who use it (I have never looked at the calender, I look in a forum for a thread).

My two choices for Florida restructure II would look like:

First choice
Florida Conch Divers
.......Calendar

Second choice (If we must divide)
Florida Conch Divers
.......Calender
.......Keys subforum
.......Central Springs subforum
.......SE Coast subforum
.......SW Coast subforum
.......St Pete to Big bend subforum
.......Panhandle subforum

Please thank the 'back room' for seeking our input and allowing us to screw this up ourselves.

I strongly prefer we keep the splintering to a minimum. However, I do think FL Cavern & Cave diving is significantly popular and different (equipment, training, & locations) enough to warrant a subform. So I propose:

Florida Conch Divers
.......Conch Calendar
.......Cave & Cavern

I would also propose a use of sticky threads;
...FAQ: FL Keys
...FAQ: Oriskany
...FAQ: Tooth Diving

and or similar to address/help 'outsiders' get a quick answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back