Restructuring Florida, Take Two...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree, but we aren't just the Gulf Coast, we have springs too, some of the best. :p

I agree that if we have a calendar, it should be a single calendar covering all of Florida. Forgive me for asking, as I have only tried to use the calendar once, and failed miserably, but is it possible to link to the thread discussing the event directly from the calendar? That might be a handy feature.

Regarding the subforums, I personally miss the days when there was a main section and a trips section that covered the whole state. The sense of camraderie that that engendered is something that seems to be missing anymore. However, I know that the traffic has just become too much for a single forum, and we need to be subdivided. How best to do this is the question. I really think that the North/Central/South Trips and Marketplace subforums that we had were very workable for that, and the single main forum kept us somewhat unified. Is there a reason that it wasn't working?

Concerning the clubs, I find myself in agreement with MissD. Do we really want the Conchs divided up into a bunch of different cliques? I know that I don't. I hope to someday be able to dive with each and everyone of you (except for Andy, 'cause Jean says that he smells funny). Despite my thread, I really would like to keep the Conch forums as few and as large as possible while still being usable, useful, accessible, and enjoyable for all. Just say NO to clubs. Leave 'em for the baby seals.:11:

Main forum: place for people to ask general questions, if needed they can be sent to the regional forums from there. Place for stickies of major events; Keys Invasions, big cleanups, Venice Birthdays, MegaDives, etc.

Calendar: place to keep track of all of the various dives that are open invite all across the state. One potential issue that I see here is just how do we ensure that all of the dives make it onto the calendar? It seems a bit much to me to expect each thread originator to also add their dive to the calendar. Any suggestions?

And on another note, major kudos to ElOrans for being willing to ask for input about this. While I am sure that whatever the end result, there will be some of us that will be unhappy with it, at least we all have the chance to voice our opinion beforehand. Thanks for listening to us, sir.

I like the unified "CONCH CALENDAR" instead of 15 different ones.

I Like this...

Florida Conch Divers
--Trips and Local Marketplace... Florida Conch Divers
--Calendar
--Club forums Central Springs, Panhandle, Gulf Coast (tampa - fort meyers area), NE Coast, SE Coast, and Keys

I think that Colin's sticky in the Main conch Forum with "local/insider info" is great for each of the "club areas" too.

I like the unified "CONCH CALENDAR" instead of 15 different ones.

I Like this...

Florida Conch Divers
--Calendar
--Club forums Central Springs, Panhandle, Gulf Coast (tampa - fort meyers area), NE Coast, SE Coast, and Keys

I think that Colin's sticky in the Main conch Forum with "local/insider info" is great for each of the "club areas" too.

This idea from Howarde seems very workable...

I guess we all read things different - go figure :D .

I was OK with one trips forum and one main conch forum. I always posted my dive plan in the trip forum and my dive report in the main forum. If we have to make a change, I would plan trips in different regions and post dive reports in one main conch forum. If general chatter is getting lost in the one main conch forum, then subforums are needed (Keys-Springs-SE Coast-SW Coast-NE Coast-St Pete to Big bend-Panhandle.). If there are subforums, dive plans, dive reports, and chatter can go in the regional subforum - no need for North / South division at all, no need for trips forums for each subforum (traffic should be low in each regional subforum so nothing will be lost) - only have one calender for those who use it (I have never looked at the calender, I look in a forum for a thread).

My two choices for Florida restructure II would look like:

First choice
Florida Conch Divers
.......Trips and Local Marketplace
.......Calendar

Second choice (If we must divide)
Florida Conch Divers
.......Calender
.......Keys subforum
.......Central Springs subforum
.......SE Coast subforum
.......SW Coast subforum
.......St Pete to Big bend subforum
.......Panhandle subforum

I love the one calendar idea since I'm always looking for groups to dive with!

All I ask is that you please don't leave out Orlando Area this time!

Maybe you could even call it the "hitch a ride" board since we have a decent distance to drive to dive in any direction.

I know there are a lot of local divers in town (even if they are the silent majority :) )....not to mention nearly 20 dive shops in there area who produce more divers every week!

In addition, we have so many visitors who start their vacation here and there's at least one post a week asking where to dive and what to do. I'd be happy to help out the same way I was helped in the Hawaii forums when I was planning a trip out there.

I still like the idea someone suggested earlier too:
"florida for floridians" and "locals helping visitors"

El Orans:
We're asking for your input in this matter.

Thank you!

El Orans:
Please note that for consistency reasons the final implemented forum structure will have to be similar to the outline below.

Florida Conch Divers
--Calendar

--Subforums A, B, C...
----Trips and Local Marketplace... A, B, C...
----Calendar A, B, C...

--Club forums 1, 2, 3...

I don't understand what you mean.

I do like this:

SeaYoda:
My two choices for Florida restructure II would look like:

First choice
Florida Conch Divers
.......Trips and Local Marketplace
.......Calendar

Second choice (If we must divide)
Florida Conch Divers
.......Calender
.......Keys subforum
.......Central Springs subforum
.......SE Coast subforum
.......SW Coast subforum
.......St Pete to Big bend subforum
.......Panhandle subforum

If we do divide, I'd add NE Coast, we wouldn't want any part of the state left out.

I don't like the idea of clubs.

Walter:
...If we do divide, I'd add NE Coast, we wouldn't want any part of the state left out...
I was just using your list - you need to be more complete if I am to look good when I copy your work :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom