Renting a boat in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to rent a boat relatively cheaply in Cozumel? I've been wondering lately if there's money to be saved from using a dive operator if you and 3 friends rent a boat instead of going with the dive ops.

bober99:
Does anyone know where to rent a boat relatively cheaply in Cozumel? I've been wondering lately if there's money to be saved from using a dive operator if you and 3 friends rent a boat instead of going with the dive ops.

1. People who own boats for rental ARE dive operators or rent exclusively to dive operators.
2. A dive operator will get a MUCH better rental rate for the boat than you will as a tourist.
3. IF you are able to find someone to rent the boat to you outright (highly unlikely) your rental rate will be WAY more as a tourist, and certainly more than you will pay by diving with a legitimate and experienced operator. You can figure the base cost you will most likely be charged for a rental boat is a minimum of $50 x 6 = $300.00. Plus, if you rent on your own (which is very unlikely to happen), you still have to rent tanks, pay a divemaster (required), pay marine park fees, water, ice, get yourself to the caleta, etc. You will quickly see just a fraction of the actual expenses that go into running a dive trip.

So the short and long answer is no, you will not save money nor is it something I advise.

bober99:
Here's a thought. Contact Mexican Navy! I can't imagine they are exempt from all the corruption in that country. Maybe you can get the use of a Destroyer or Cruiser or even a submarine (if they even have one) for just a few hundred pesos!

Hey let me know if you are successful with bribing your way onto a submarine because I've always wanted to scuba from a submerged submarine. Would that be machismo, or what?

Roflmao Texas Diver

bober99:

Let me add to what Christi said - unless you are already very familiar with Cozumel diving and know the reefs by their onshore landmarks, your chances of putting yourself on the best sites would be pretty remote. Unless, of course, you were to just look for dive op boats and dive with them; that'd sure make you real popular with the locals... ;^)

Didn't you say elsewhere that you were new to diving? Forgive me if I have you mixed up with someone else. Anyway, if you are, all the more reason to stay on the beaten path. If you REALLY want to save some money, you could stay home.

Troll??

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom