Renting doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That all fits in my suitcase. Wth?

Your regs, mask, and computer, go in your carryon.

Leave the wetsuit behind. Do the single tank dives in swim trunks.

I'd ditch the singles fins as well. Your tec fins might trim too heavy, but so what. Its a rec dive, you can fin a little to hold trim.

Option3: bring nothing but your mask to CZ. And rent all.
He posted an explanation in #19. Coz is not all he is doing.

If you show up with a drysuit when everyone else is in a rashguard and shorties… you’ll stick out.
So what?

If you show up with a drysuit because that's what you need/want to have a comfortable, safe dive, and it doesn't infringe on everyone else on the boat, then who cares?

Wear what you want.

So what?

If you show up with a drysuit because that's what you need/want to have a comfortable, safe dive, and it doesn't infringe on everyone else on the boat, then who cares?

Wear what you want.

This.

I would bring a wetsuit and fins for a quick few days of diving after class. No sense in lugging around anything that you don’t have to.

He posted an explanation in #19. Coz is not all he is doing.
Thanks, and yeah I think I did miss explaining the situation of coming from class to Coz to do some leisure dives with friends. The thing is I'm not sure how many opportunities I'll end up for fun warm water diving this year, and honestly, I'd prefer to have my own gear that's suited for the dives I'm doing.

So what?

Wear what you want.
Reading comprehension fail, buddy.

I was suggesting that OP really doesn’t want to be diving a drysuit in the conditions around Cozumel at the moment… or generally.

But thanks for the snide reply

Reading comprehension fail, buddy.

I was suggesting that OP really doesn’t want to be diving a drysuit in the conditions around Cozumel at the moment… or generally.
Nope, you didn't offer anything constructive about selecting gear to match the conditions.

Sure, the OP may be inconvenienced by dealing with a drysuit, and it can be a little more tricky than a wetsuit on a small, crowded boat, and being too warm on the surface may be an issue, but that didn't seem to be what you were saying.

You wrote that the OP would "stick out", perhaps harking back to some incident in 3rd grade where your clothing made you stick out from the other kids at the lunch table. Peer-pressure, or 'suit-shaming,' won't help any diver feel more comfortable wearing the exposure protection they choose, and it is a very, very subjective decision. I write this as a diver who is often cold, even on days when some other divers are just wearing a bathingsuit.

FYI, no one on the boats I was on in Cozumel over the last week was wearing just a rashguard, and I only saw one person in a shorty wetsuit -- which worked just fine for him. Most divers were adding layers over successive days.

But anyway.... given the conditions in Cozumel at the moment, if the port was open, a drysuit might be a very good choice.
But thanks for the snide reply
If you really think that was snide, you should see me on a Monday!

I left Coz a week ago.
5 guys on our boat in drysuits with light undergarments.
I was perfectly happy in my 3mm Fullsuit. With a bunch of others in 3s and 5s
My instructor was wearing a 6\7\8 Semi-dry.
1 guy was wearing a rashguard ... a Minnesotan :rofl3:

Carrying a second exposure suit and fins seems like the unreasonable thing to do if you are going in the winter. Just wear your base layer and the DS. Pop the top or jump out on the surface if it is a warm day.

Thanks, and yeah I think I did miss explaining the situation of coming from class to Coz to do some leisure dives with friends. The thing is I'm not sure how many opportunities I'll end up for fun warm water diving this year, and honestly, I'd prefer to have my own gear that's suited for the dives I'm doing.
If you are doing a DP and fundies on the mainland, I would guess either Third dimension, underworld, or ZG. All of those shops rent wings. Just rent a single wing for a few days and use it in Coz.
That is what I have done when we decide to run to coz for some single tank ocean diving. Sometimes we just rent everything there. Regs, BC, whatever we need. It is a vacation diving destination, they have stuff.

Hey all, please don't get pissy with each other in my thread. All is good, I love hearing opinions and that's exactly why I come to scubaboard for this stuff.

Just to recap, I'm doing a week of Fundamentals class that drysuit is a requirement for, then I'm going to scoot over to Cozumel for a few days of leisure diving with some good friends. Just trying to figure out the best way to get everything I need down there.

If you are doing a DP and fundies on the mainland, I would guess either Third dimension, underworld, or ZG. All of those shops rent wings. Just rent a single wing for a few days and use it in Coz.
Close, but the thing is I'm doing a whirlwind... fly into Cancun, head south for class, then to Coz for a few days and then fly out of Coz to home. If there was a place I could rent a wing on Coz that would be awesome. but it would be tough regardless. I think I'll be on the 9pm ferry, then meeting Aldora on the pier at 7am the next day.

I think I'll just figure out how to squeeze it all into my duffel.

Back
Top Bottom