Renting doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'll just figure out how to squeeze it all into my duffel.
Or inquire if Aldora will rent single tank wing and STA and just put it on the boat for you. Likely weight, not size, is is going to be your enemy for checked baggage.

Hey all, please don't get pissy with each other in my thread. All is good, I love hearing opinions and that's exactly why I come to scubaboard for this stuff.

Just to recap, I'm doing a week of Fundamentals class that drysuit is a requirement for, then I'm going to scoot over to Cozumel for a few days of leisure diving with some good friends. Just trying to figure out the best way to get everything I need down there.

Close, but the thing is I'm doing a whirlwind... fly into Cancun, head south for class, then to Coz for a few days and then fly out of Coz to home. If there was a place I could rent a wing on Coz that would be awesome. but it would be tough regardless. I think I'll be on the 9pm ferry, then meeting Aldora on the pier at 7am the next day.

I think I'll just figure out how to squeeze it all into my duffel.
Check a bag. If you check a bag you should be able to get everything you need into your luggage. You have 50 pounds available in the checked bag, you can get a lot into a roller board carry-on and also you can bring a small backpack for under the seat storage. You could probably even fit a pony bottle... LOL wrong thread...

Oh yeah I'm definitely checking a bag. And yup, regs, masks, torches, computers, etc is going in carry on. It's just that a drysuit + undergarments are bulky. I'm fine on weight, everything clocks in at 39 lbs.

Reading comprehension fail, buddy.

I was suggesting that OP really doesn’t want to be diving a drysuit in the conditions around Cozumel at the moment… or generally.

But thanks for the snide reply
I'm pretty sure that his question was more about gear transport on the airline than it was about what gear he is going to take out on the dive boat(s).

You are bringing a lot of things already with the only extra thing being a wing....

How many dives you doing in Cozumel? Is it worth bringing all the warm water stuff verses just renting? I mean, goodness gracious, that wing takes up less space than one fin.........

At one point Aldora did also have a couple sets of manifolded AL80 doubles in their own inventory so that still may be the case. I have seen a group of Aldora customers using doubles and I have personally done the same myself in the past.

Hi there, I'm probably one of the people you saw diving double AL80s at Aldora. Those are rented from a GUE shop that we do tech dive training through and are for our coursework, so not generally available. The owner of Aldora has rented other sets for us before, but the ones available through that channel haven't been particularly good quality (crappy tank bands that slip, old rusty bolts of odd thicknesses, having to find our own wing nuts). I wish I had a better solution for someone coming over. I've even started to think about buying my own sets. Anyone with further questions about any of this is welcome to PM me. I'm on the island diving doubles with Aldora this month. SB members come say hi!

Hi there, I'm probably one of the people you saw diving double AL80s at Aldora. Those are rented from a GUE shop that we do tech dive training through and are for our coursework, so not generally available. The owner of Aldora has rented other sets for us before, but the ones available through that channel haven't been particularly good quality (crappy tank bands that slip, old rusty bolts of odd thicknesses, having to find our own wing nuts). I wish I had a better solution for someone coming over. I've even started to think about buying my own sets. Anyone with further questions about any of this is welcome to PM me. I'm on the island diving doubles with Aldora this month. SB members come say hi!
At one point Memo let me use one set of doubles that were decent. I thought they belonged to Aldora but this was several years ago.

I agree the ones from Meridiano are very bad.
FB_IMG_1704893055504.jpg
FB_IMG_1704893036455.jpg

@bradStyle my wife and I are also on the island for next few months so you may run into us as we dive with Aldora but are mostly focusing on cave diving this trip.

It is possible Kelvin from Third Dimensions Diving also has doubles but I believe most of his tanks come from Deep Exposure but I could be wrong. Happy to be corrected here.

At one point Memo let me use one set of doubles that were decent. I thought they belonged to Aldora but this was several years ago.

View attachment 820158View attachment 820159

@bradStyle my wife and I are also on the island for next few months so you may run into us as we dive with Aldora but are mostly focusing on cave diving this trip.

It is possible Kelvin from Third Dimensions Diving also has doubles but I believe most of his tanks come from Deep Exposure but I could be wrong. Happy to be corrected here.

Oh hi! The Aldora folk have asked me a few times if we (my fiancee Talitha and I) have met you and your wife yet. So these are Kelvin's doubles that I'm diving. He's got a small facility here on Cozumel now too and these are his tanks. We're GUE divers. Talitha and I started Tech 1 together, but she got too busy with work and now I've partnered with Juan Vega who used to be an Aldora instructor (now freelance). We're working on Tech 1, and I've just developed a preference for diving doubles. Kelvin actually came over to Aldora for our course, which was super nice. We're scheduled do Cave 1 with Third Dimension in March and hopefully finish Tech around the same time, but Talitha and I will be hovering around Coz/Tulum until the end of March. Hope our paths cross at some point!

View attachment 820158View attachment 820159

There's a set of doubles bands and valves at my house in the office - I'm selling everything to slim down for the big move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom