Question How does Cozumel compare to other dive destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Cozumel; I am going there for the forty-somethingth time in June.

We've been diving only a few places - - like the Galapagos, Great Barrier Reef, Indonesia, Palau, Thailand, Korea, Honduras, Cayman Is., Turks & Caicos, Bonaire, Bahamas, Belize, Florida, Great Lakes, and the Mediterranean.

In a couple of weeks we're going back to Coz for the 20th time. It's a home away from home. It's 1,000 times better than Florida at half the cost of a Florida dive vacation. The cave diving in Mexico is a BILLION times better than cave diving in Florida.

Cozumel is a great place. The people are wonderful. The diving is always fun, interesting, and easy.

The BEST reef night dive that we have ever experienced is Paradise Reef in Cozumel. No where else have we had such great night diving. This time we plan to try some black water night diving in Cozumel.

Are the dives long enough? (60 minutes or more?) Then maybe we try to do 1 day Cozumel in future and drive to Cozumel ourselves and then pick up a charter.
The last time I was in Cozumel, our dives averaged around 85 minutes. We had several over 90 minutes.

We've been diving only a few places - - like the Galapagos, Great Barrier Reef, Indonesia, Palau, Thailand, Korea, Honduras, Cayman Is., Turks & Caicos, Bonaire, Bahamas, Belize, Florida, Great Lakes, and the Mediterranean.
Only a few places. Right. :D

The above seems to be based on Tulum not Cozumel. Many of the things said are simply not true for Cozumel. For example, alcohol is indeed sold in stores on Sunday, just not after 5pm. I've never seen an ATM in Mega out of cash. I've never been shaken down by traffic cops. I've never paid over $90 per two tank trip and I've never had a DM ask for a tip of any amount.
Agree that the Tulum post does NOT reflect the diving or attitudes we have encountered in Coz. I've never been limited to a 45 minute diver EVER. Since the op wants assurances that the diving is OUTSTANDING I was holding back. I've not had good luck telling people something is amazing since everyone measures things with their own expectations. I find the diving in Coz to be really great to incredible depending on the day/conditions/divers/marine life. Night dives at Paradise and San Clemente are some of the best ever for me personally. As many have said it's why I go back over and over. The cenotes on the mainland are amazing and worth doing as well and as far as staying away from Cozumel because you don't like to be hassled by street vendors I'd say 'just stay out of town during the day'. Where we stay the only hassle I get is from the churro guy and I'm glad to see him and say Si Gracias as often as No. I think I pay $99 on average for a two tank trip most times and I tip because these people work their ass off and they deserve to get a little extra pocket money for showing me a good time. All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

3PM unless it has been changed recently.

I say it has always been 5pm. Any locals want to chime in?

That is nice. They asked in Tulum over 150 for a 2 dive trip to Cozumel. And this was depart at 8 a.m. from Tulum, and back already around 2 p.m. This means rushing to do 2 dives. They said max 40-45 minutes per dive. So the reason not to go for us.

Wait. That is very different. You are comparing apples and oranges. Tulum is a good distance from Cozumel. You're paying a surcharge that includes transportation (shuttle and ferry) or a lot of extra fuel. No way would I take a small boat from Tulum to Cozumel. It also involves about an additional two hours each way. This has no relevance to someone staying on Cozumel and diving there. I don't see it as feasible to do a day Cozumel trip from Tulum.

I don't think so, but some googling turns up some sites that say 3PM and some that say 5PM. The sites that say 3PM are older, so apparently it changed.

I use one of the Six bodegas back in the hood for after hours
Just dress like a borracho not a tourist

Sedena sells until 7 on sundays last I checked

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom