Question How does Cozumel compare to other dive destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish that I had your easy going temperament. I only go into town in the evenings. The hawkers are still obnoxious. A couple of years ago my husband, sister and myself were walking near the square when one hawker kept blocking our path and yelling to my husband "hey Mr. Mormon Big Love, take your wives shopping!" I actually cracked up, but I think they are even worse in the evening. I also think they are more pushy with females. You are right about it not being a deal breaker when visiting the island, it is just an annoyance.
A 20-something guy once approached me on the square trying to sell me a tour of the island. I told him that I had been coming to the island since 1978, and did he want me to give him a tour of the island? We both laughed, and after that whenever I saw him he would just smile and wave.

Attitude is everything.

Since we don't like touristy towns and hate hawkers, I'm not sure Cozumel is for us. If the diving was exceptional, I could tolerate it. But it sounds like it isn't.

It's a touristy town yes in a way but not terrible.

The hawkers - I hated it at first but after time it becomes background noise.

The touristy part is from mostly cruise ship folks that leave the island by 5pm as the ships leave. That is one unique thing about the island, it's a much different place after 5pm. Staying in centro within walking distance of so many little bars and restaraunts - the tourists at night are about 80% scuba divers so it's not so bad. Having dinner and a beer at Thirsty Cougar, watching the world go by and the sunset ain't all that bad - it really isn't crowded.

You cannot compare the Carribean to the Coral Triangle. The more you go west from the Coral Triangle, the less life is found. The Carribean are then the worst in case of life. But it can be still beautifull.

An important question for choosing Cozumel is: do you also want to dive the cenotes? Then this is the place to go. On the mainland, there are nice cenotes.
Do you prefer non-guided dives, then go to Curacao or Bonaire.
Do you hate giving tips, don't go for guided dives to Cozumel.
Do you want to do real dives and not the 45 minutes or shorter ones, don't go to Cozumel.
Do you want to dive overpriced, go to Cozumel. I find 110 to 150 dollar for 2 dives very overpriced, especially when they ask for a tip of 10 dollar per dive or so. In Europe you don't need to tip with such prices and it is cheaper. I know the tipping discusion is controversial, but I live in a non-tipping country and I really hate it if they expect with such high prices a tip. In France you pay 30-32 euro for a dive and no tip needed. Also you don't get a guide if you don't ask for it which makes diving way much more relaxing.
Do you want to see a lot of nudibranches: go to the coral triangle, the Carribean is not a good place for this.
Do you want a short travel, then maybe for you Cozumel is a good place.

I am just 1 week back from Mexico, Tulum area for cave diving. We did not dive with guides. It is a nice country, but you have to be aware of some things.
The ATM does not always give money. 2 times a month it is payday and then they are empty, sometimes 2 days behind each other.

On sundays, you cannot buy alcohol in supermarkets (not a big deal of course).

Most people are really friendly and try to help you if you ask. But sometimes there are things that are not that nice.
This year we drove to Bacalar and got stopped by the police like all rental cars (and the locals did not need to stop). They showed us a picture on the phone of 20km/h and said we drove too fast. But this was for sure impossible as we were in the busy hour and on a road where no more speed was possible, also the sign had none of us seen (3 in the car). We had to pay 1500 pesos. After a discussion in Spanish, we ended with not paying, happely. But they tried. If they really wanted is to pay, I would ask for the proof, the camera that said we drove to fast or the laser. But this was not needed. They looked in our car and there were just towels from swimming in it, nothing that was worthfull.

Last year they tried to rip me off for 1100 dollar at the car rental, we paid in advance with Europcar over a dutch rental site, but they did not want to give us the car if we did not pay 1100 dollar insurance. But the insurance was already paid, we had proof and if you reed the new contract in Spanish, it was really a new contract. So I told them that and after 1.5 hour we got our car without paying for the new contract.
After bringing the car back, they tried to let us pay for scratches we did not make, but I took over 100 pictures before taking the car, so I had proof. Also the person who was there to check the car spoke only Spanish.

On a fuelstation, we could not pay by card. Strange, but they told us after we said 'full please'. They charged us for 43 liter and the counter was showing 0.00 before fuelling. The car had a tank of only 35 liter. As we saw this later, we had already paid around 10 dollar too much. This was last year, this year they had at some fuelstations warningsigns that if you cannot pay by card and the counter is not shown at 0.00, you have to call the owner of the fuel station.

They tried also last year the finger trick with the 50 pesos while you gave them 500 pesos. So always look at hands if you give people money.

We tried to eat most times streetfood or restaurants for locals. This is way much cheaper, the food is good (you don't get ill), and they don't ask for a tip. I know a tip is normal in the US, but here it depends on the restaurant. And if you pay US-prices in a tourist restaurant, I don't give them a tip anymore. The prices are twice or more than in a local restaurant. The locals we tipped, but they did not expect it. The best was a place where they wanted a picture of us as there don't come tourist to eat (was outside Tulum). And we had a great crispy chicken taco. Of course for local places, speaking some spanish makes it easier. There was a streetfood place which was very busy, but on the list were 'ojos, cabeza, etc'. I asked if this was really the foodlist and they said yes, all from the head of the cow. So we decided to walk a little further. :D

Things that got improved since last year: some cenotes have security cameras.

If you speak a little bit Spanish, this will open doors as a lot of locals don't speak English. We also met a local that only spoke Mayan, and even we did not speak that. :wink:

So if you decide to go to Mexico again, it is a nice place, but you have to be aware of some things. But I did not feel unsafe and for sure I want to go again in future. The things that happened with a rental car won't happen if you don't rent a car. But having a car was fur us necessary to get to the cenotes.

Oh, and we flied in our own weights. The divecenter we rented tanks asked 50 cents per kg per day, so it was for us cheaper to fly 5kg in. Maybe check this also first.

The above seems to be based on Tulum not Cozumel. Many of the things said are simply not true for Cozumel. For example, alcohol is indeed sold in stores on Sunday, just not after 5pm. I've never seen an ATM in Mega out of cash. I've never been shaken down by traffic cops. I've never paid over $90 per two tank trip and I've never had a DM ask for a tip of any amount.

OK, so I didn't read that whole post because most of it was about Tulum, but here are a couple of points:

Do you want to do real dives and not the 45 minutes or shorter ones, don't go to Cozumel.
45 minute or shorter dives are not the rule on Cozumel, they are the exception. Most Cozumel dive ops let you dive your gas and your computer.
On sundays, you cannot buy alcohol in supermarkets (not a big deal of course).
On Cozumel you can buy alcohol on Sundays until 3PM. It makes no sense to me, but that's the law.

The above seems to be based on Tulum not Cozumel. Many of the things said are simply not true for Cozumel. For example, alcohol is indeed sold in stores on Sunday, just not after 5pm. I've never seen an ATM in Mega out of cash. I've never been shaken down by traffic cops. I've never paid over $90 per two tank trip and I've never had a DM ask for a tip of any amount.
That is nice. They asked in Tulum over 150 for a 2 dive trip to Cozumel. And this was depart at 8 a.m. from Tulum, and back already around 2 p.m. This means rushing to do 2 dives. They said max 40-45 minutes per dive. So the reason not to go for us.
We stayed in Tulum as we go there for the caves. Tulum is a great place to stay. The cops were in Bacalar, so also not in Tulum.
90 dollar seems to be a way much better price.
Are the dives long enough? (60 minutes or more?) Then maybe we try to do 1 day Cozumel in future and drive to Cozumel ourselves and then pick up a charter.

We had more or less a rushing experience when we did 2 guided dives in a cenote for 200 euro (that is more than 200 dollar). Depart was at 9 a.m. and they wanted to be back at 3 p.m. So this was then the time including transport, surface interval, lunch, etc. We don't like if there is a time they MUST be back. This was in Playa del Carmen.

So this is why we do unguided dives and just rent tanks and go. There is a small reef doable from shore in Puerto Aventuras in the gated community. Only parking can be hard (and to get in as you don't stay there). THen you don't need a boat and can go on your own. But it is not the best reef. Cozumel is for sure better.

Totally agree- topside matters too. That was why we were avoiding Cozumel as we thought we wouldn't like the vibe in town-- we prefer quiet locations & hate the hawkers. If the diving was exceptional, then it would be worth dealing with it.

BTW- We just booked a trip to Bonaire, for the exact reasons you mention. I know the diving won't be as good as some of the other places we've been but I love the idea of casual shore diving.

This is why I dislike the info often presented on this forum which over promote staying in town. Some of the AIs are gorgeous, quiet and very close to the reefs. The restaurants are a cab ride away. Get dropped right off at the restaurant and there is no hawking.

This is why I dislike the info often presented on this forum which over promote staying in town. Some of the AIs are gorgeous, quiet and very close to the reefs. The restaurants are a cab ride away. Get dropped right off at the restaurant and there is no hawking.
What does "over promote" even mean? Some of us prefer to stay in town, some of us prefer to stay at the southern resorts, and some of us, myself included, prefer something in between. We all have our reasons.

Coz is not my favorite, but I believe the value proposition as repeated above is far and away why for so many it is a top destination.

We last dove Coz in 2021 during the pandemic, so there wasn't a lot open. That was absolutely fine for us; we dislike proximity to cruise ship destinations and the hawker sales culture that evolves around that industry. It's just not for us. Regarding the diving in Coz, the dive sites were pretty trashed despite the few number of divers and dive boats. Not a tremendous amount of life compared with other destinations in the Caribbean, and a lot of dead/dying coral. On the positive side, it is an excellent place to get acclimated to drift diving. Scuba Club Cozumel was an excellent operator; very professional, safe, flexible, and the DMs and crew were all great.

If you're looking for alternatives in the Caribbean that avoid the cruise ship traffic but also have good diving, I would offer: Bonaire (relatively inexpensive, if you enjoy shore diving), Roatan, Utila, San Pedro, St Lucia, Saba, Little Cayman/Cayman Brac/Grand Cayman (but we're starting to get pricey now), and the outer atolls of Belize. I'm frequently looking to add to this list.

Further afield, Indonesia and the western Pacific in general has color, variety, and life that beats the pants out of any location in the Caribbean. But, for divers in the western hemisphere it can be an expensive and time-consuming commitment to get to that side of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom