Question How does Cozumel compare to other dive destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would anyone have a private DM that they recommend?

Normally I would recommend Servando Ramirez but, I believe, he is not currently diving. A couple of other outstanding DM's would be Raul at Bottom time divers and Juan Lara AKA Shrek (WhatsApp 52-1- 987 113 7944)

Cozumel is very diverse and that goes with the DM's and dive shops also.

Start with whom are you diving with - odds are they have a great DM for you. What are you wanting out of the diving you do?

Be open and honest with your expectations and needs of the DM - loads of fantastic ones

I wouldn't be diving if it wasn't for Cozumel, and it's the only place I've dove repeatedly. I am going in 2 weeks, and I that will be the 6th time I have dove there. (1st time 2 dives getting certified Scuba Dive, once 1 dive off a cruise ship, and 3 times for a week or more). I have also dove on Koh Tao, Koh Phangan, Amed, Nusa Penida, Ambergris Caye, and Dahab.
The things I love about Cozumel are the reefs, the large marine life (moray eels, turtles, nurse sharks, sting rays, and eagle rays, and the one hammerhead I saw my last trip), how different the dives can be, the wild ride you sometimes get with a drift dive, seeing the Cathedral, that the dives are all boat dives, and that the dives are fairly close (no 1-2 hours to the dive.) The two dive shops I mainly used have been excellent. You also have the added benefit of being able to either take the ferry across to Playa Del Carmen for the day, or staying there and diving cenotes, which is amazing. I love caves, and I love diving, so this is both of my loves put together! I've done 11 so far, and definately want to add more. The down side is that it's become very difficult to get there from where I live-even if I fly into Cancun. There are no direct flights to Cozumel from my local airport, and even from JFK, Newark or Boston-there still aren't any flights. And the connections are now less than 1 hour, and there is no later flight if you miss your flight. I am having to drive to Boston to get a nonstop to Cancun, and then get my way down to Playa by bus (I travel alone), and then take the ferry across. But the island atmosphere, the food, the people, and the hotels are worth it. It is so much nicer than Playa. I will keep coming back, especially since I get to dive with the best divemaster I've ever experienced (who got me diving!).
My opinion-I had a very bad experience with the dive shop I used in Bali, and that totally spoiled my experience there. The diving was top notch, but everything else was awful. I liked Belize, but I don't think it is better than Cozumel-although it has way more turtles and nurse sharks. Thailand-I had a few great dives, some OK dives, and some awful dives. Also, shore dives are difficult for me, as I broke my right leg badly, and so my right ankle is dicey. ( I am a 67 year old woman, so even just walking with all the dive gear is no mean feat.) The water clarity can be really awful. I saw some really cool things there. Dahab was great, except it was all shore dives, and those are difficult for me. So, from my diving experience, Cozumel is easily the best place I've dove so far. But I'm going to Raja Ampat on the Velocean (my first liveaboard) this January), so this could change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom