Single tank morning dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm visiting Cozumel in late November. My wife doesn't dive and likes to sleep in a bit in the morning, while I get up early. I was trying to find a charter that can do single tank, early morning dives. That way I can be back in time for my wife to be up and ready to go. I heard that Prodive can accommodate this, since they return to the dock between dives, but when I contacted them, they said they don't return to the dock between dives and they only offer 2-tank charters. Does anyone know of any charter operators that can do this? I'll be renting a car so I can meet a boat anywhere.

I'm visiting Cozumel in late November. My wife doesn't dive and likes to sleep in a bit in the morning, while I get up early. I was trying to find a charter that can do single tank, early morning dives. That way I can be back in time for my wife to be up and ready to go. I heard that Prodive can accommodate this, since they return to the dock between dives, but when I contacted them, they said they don't return to the dock between dives and they only offer 2-tank charters. Does anyone know of any charter operators that can do this? I'll be renting a car so I can meet a boat anywhere.
Where are you staying? I have heard that resident dive ops at some of the southern resorts sometimes return to the resort between dives. That said, however, I would expect than any op that does that will charge you for a normal two tank trip even if you jump ship after the first dive since they likely would not be able to fill that slot for a second dive only.

Have your wife sleep until noon. Or manage to entertain herself for a couple of hours. Or you can do a 7am shore dive.

Dressle Divers at Iberstar goes back between dives for sure. I don't know if you can only pay for 1 dive. I don't know if you can use them if not staying there. They are far South closest to reefs.

I'll be staying North of town at the Villa Aldora. I realize this is far from the dive sites so that's why I'll be renting a car to be able to get down to the Southern hotels. Aldora Divers runs out of my hotel, but since it's a longer run South to the dive sites, it makes for a longer day and they don't do morning single tank dives. Many of the dive charters seem to do single tank afternoon dives, but not in the morning. As far as shore diving goes, I understand it's mostly rubble and you don't see any of the big sponges, gorgonians, etc. that you get out on the reefs.

There's a fun shore dive along the wall right where you're at and there are tanks on site by the pool.

The reason we booked to stay at that place is for the access to snorkeling from shore there. Usually when we are in the tropics (Hawaii for example), we spend most of the day in the water snorkeling. As for scuba diving there from shore, I knew that people did it, but since it's the tropics, I assumed that they would have problems with me solo diving (which is how I usually dive). I'm also not sure what the current is like along the North end of the island when swimming farther out from shore.

Aldora gets back at the Villa at about 1:30 from morning dives.

I probably will go for a proper 2-tank charter once or twice, but since it's not really a scuba vacation (I know...In Cozumel...), it wouldn't be tactful to abandon my wife for half the day too regularly. That's why I was hoping for an early morning trip out to the park for a single dive and be back around 10:00 when my wife is done her coffee and is ready to go.

I have not dived the north side, but there is some awesome snorkeling. Be mindful of the currents, as they can be strong. As @ggunn mentioned, it may be difficult for your dive op to fill the single seat for second dive.
Like your wife, I am not keen on getting out of bed early. I would be perfectly content to have my coffee, walk the beach and hang out at the pool until my husband came back. But I cannot speak for your wife. You can always do two tank dives every other day or alternate morning dives and afternoon/evening dives. To offset any hard feelings, you can contact Mayan Essence and book an in room massage session.
It sounds like your reason for booking at Villa Aldora is for snorkeling. Have you conisidered booking a place further south i.e El Cid or place close to pier at Money Bar? There is some great snorkeling in those areas too with less time on a boat or dealing with a rental car and parking at the marina.

Back
Top Bottom