Regulator Servicing - Learn Through Books or Taking a Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I intend to service my own regs, and would like to seek advice from those who've gone before on which route I should take.

I am considering 2 options:

1. Buy books, read, try to get the manufacturer's manual and learn on my own
2. Sign up for a course in regulator repair

Locally, this course is available to me, Part 2 is what I'm looking at:

Regulator Repair & Field Service Class - Unified Team Diving

Is taking a course really necessary? On one hand, regs are critical life-support equipment and I can't afford to get it wrong.
On the other hand, I've kind of busted my budget for the year for diving gear / courses.

I've been fixing my own bikes for many years so I'm very comfortable around tools and wrenches. Please help me out here, thanks.

Get Vance Harlow's book on regulator repair and servicing and an overhaul manual for your regs. Use patience, care, and follow directions and you'll be fine. One of my dive buddies and I split the cost of specialized tools so it wasn't quite so painful. Depending upon the regs you have, you may not need anything special, but figure this out before you begin. Again caution and attention to detail is very helpful. Best of luck!

Everyone learns differently, but most people would probably benefit from a combination approach. I was fortunate to be associated with a dive shop and took a few manufacturer's courses, bought and read both the Wolfinger and Harlow books, and "interned" working on rental reg sets. Each one was beneficial, either in basics or in tricks of the trade. With a decent instructor, the course you cited could be very worthwhile. But if you're only going to do your own regs, it might not be cost effective. However, I'd suggest at least supplementing your self-study with finding an experienced tech to whom you can go with questions.

Harlows book is both useful and enjoyable. Reg Savey is narrower in scope but more detailed (technical). I have both but if I had to chose just one I'd go with Harlow as it covers more topics useful to the DIYer.

But if I believed that my regulators were really life-support, as in the only thing between me and death, I probably would not be diving. If you see a regulator failure as anything more than a major PITA, you may need to take another look at what you are doing.

unless you have a lot regs and/or dive a lot, buy tools to do service a reg or two every other year, it is not worth it. And since you don't enough reg service in the time between, it is hard to be good at it either.

have that said, it is good know about your reg.

Get Vance Harlow's book on regulator repair and servicing and an overhaul manual for your regs. Use patience, care, and follow directions and you'll be fine. One of my dive buddies and I split the cost of specialized tools so it wasn't quite so painful. Depending upon the regs you have, you may not need anything special, but figure this out before you begin. Again caution and attention to detail is very helpful. Best of luck!

Thanks for the input. Yes I've heard Harlow's book is very good, and is easy for the layman to understand.

I looked through the service manual and they don't require any special tools apart from the usual tools needed for reg repair (e.g. the 1st stage holding tool, 1/8 inch pin wrench).

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 01:32 PM ----------

Everyone learns differently, but most people would probably benefit from a combination approach. I was fortunate to be associated with a dive shop and took a few manufacturer's courses, bought and read both the Wolfinger and Harlow books, and "interned" working on rental reg sets. Each one was beneficial, either in basics or in tricks of the trade. With a decent instructor, the course you cited could be very worthwhile. But if you're only going to do your own regs, it might not be cost effective. However, I'd suggest at least supplementing your self-study with finding an experienced tech to whom you can go with questions.

Good advice. I'm starting to feel that having an experienced instructor is going to be of great value. Besides the cert will probably allow me to buy parts for other regs too.

If you have the existing skill-set to service regulators, then it's possible to learn the specifics from a book. I normally file this one under the category of "If you need to ask, the answer is no".

Eelnoraa also raised a very valid point. Buying the proper tools necessary for servicing may prove a lower return on investment than just paying for services over an expected lifespan of the regulators. It chiefly depends on the brand/model of the regulators - but some require specific manufacturer tools and they are priced HIGH (and often sold only to authorized technicians/service centers). This keeps the servicing market controlled, along with the prices, and reinforces the manufacturer-dealer relationship (i.e. only dealers become service centers - which is lucrative). To bother getting your own tools - means you either see a return-on-investment from bulk servicing (such as if running a busy dive center with many rental sets) or you have a passionate interest in engineering and would just enjoy the work (hobby, that you're willing to pay $$$'s to enjoy).

unless you have a lot regs and/or dive a lot, buy tools to do service a reg or two every other year, it is not worth it. And since you don't enough reg service in the time between, it is hard to be good at it either.

have that said, it is good know about your reg.

I'm going to have 2 sets of doubles regs to do very soon, me & my buddy's. The shop quoted me roughly (converted to US currency) $430 inclusive of parts for both sets.

I'm feeling that it might be cost effective to do my own, what do you think?

I know some of the tools, especially the ultrasonic cleaner, is going to be expensive. Not really necessary, but it's something I've wanted to get for some time, and this is as good an excuse as any.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 02:24 PM ----------

If you have the existing skill-set to service regulators, then it's possible to learn the specifics from a book. I normally file this one under the category of "If you need to ask, the answer is no".

Eelnoraa also raised a very valid point. Buying the proper tools necessary for servicing may prove a lower return on investment than just paying for services over an expected lifespan of the regulators. It chiefly depends on the brand/model of the regulators - but some require specific manufacturer tools and they are priced HIGH (and often sold only to authorized technicians/service centers). This keeps the servicing market controlled, along with the prices, and reinforces the manufacturer-dealer relationship (i.e. only dealers become service centers - which is lucrative). To bother getting your own tools - means you either see a return-on-investment from bulk servicing (such as if running a busy dive center with many rental sets) or you have a passionate interest in engineering and would just enjoy the work (hobby, that you're willing to pay $$$'s to enjoy).

Good points. I have the HOG D1s coldwater regs with Classic 2nd stages. I don't know how long it'll last. What is the expected lifespan of most regs?

I looked through the service manual and there doesn't seem to be a need for specialized manufacturer tools.

I basically self learnt with the added assistance from some helpful fellows on this board. I bought Vance Harlows book and downloaded factory manuals.

As far as specialized tools go that depends on what regs you're servicing. I own Apeks which do not require any specialized Apeks tools to service. Having said that I did buy some Apeks tools because I could. You will need an IP gauge.

I didn't learn to service to save money but because I was a) interested and like to tinker and b) I had issues after almost every LDS service, from different shops too.

I was was supprised how easy it was.

If you have the money and a course is available to you then I'd probably do that. Good luck.

Besides the cert will probably allow me to buy parts for other regs too.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, manufacturers will only sell parts to authorized dealers not to independent techs. Most manufacturers also do not allow dealers to sell parts to end users. Zeagle. HOG, and Dive Rite (I think) are exceptions.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 01:51 AM ----------

I know some of the tools, especially the ultrasonic cleaner, is going to be expensive.

There are threads where HOG lists the tools required for their service course. Probably the most expensive tool will be the torque wrench or wrenches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom