Regulator Servicing - Learn Through Books or Taking a Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unless you have a lot regs and/or dive a lot, buy tools to do service a reg or two every other year, it is not worth it. And since you don't enough reg service in the time between, it is hard to be good at it either.

have that said, it is good know about your reg.

I disagree with this assesment. Unless you have no tools at all, there are few extra tools that are required. Most regs do not require much in the way of specilized tools, contrary to what many will tell you. There are a few but most either fall into the "nice to have" or the build your own catagory. For the price of 1 service, you can buy most any of the required special tools you don't have. Both books will run you about the cost of another service. After that, all your services are free..plus parts obviously. In a service shop the tools are needed to help speed production up but for the DIYer, speed it not as improtant.

Thanks for the input. Yes I've heard Harlow's book is very good, and is easy for the layman to understand.
...................................................................Good advice. I'm starting to feel that having an experienced instructor is going to be of great value. Besides the cert will probably allow me to buy parts for other regs too.

I agree but what sets a real reg tech apart from a parts swapper is acutally understand how the regs work and what each part is doing, not just where the parts go. IMO Reg Savvy is better at the details of how a reg work. By reading and understanding both you will have a better grasp of how and why the reg works, not just where the parts go and in which order.

I looked over the link to the training you posted and to me that add is misleading and it appears you have fallen for it. Intentional or not, it add implies that the certification will certify to work on any reg.. it does not, it certifies you to work on HOG regs ONLY. Each manufacturer has their own course that is required to be certified on their regs. How good the UTD (or any course for that matter) course is is going to be very dependent on the instructor....are they expereinced reg techs or just "train the trainer" instructors.....which are worse than useless, you don't know if you were taught accurately or handed a line of BS. Before spending any money on the course I would suggest talking with the actual instructor, if they have not been a reg tech for years and certified on several brands, walk away, you will do better on your own...or at least it will cost you less. I also thought this course required you to have some kind if technical diving cert before they would allow you to take it...I do not see that mentioned. It may have been dropped but you need to check into that as well.

What I would recommend is for you to buy both books and read them cove to cover until you UNDERSTAND what they are teaching you then buy a couple of expermental regs to practice on. Inexpensive regs from the 70s on are available on ebay and locally. Get at least 1 diaphragm and 1 piston reg. My suggestion would be a USD/AL Conshelf or Mares MR-12 and a Scubapro MK-2. Practice dissambling, cleaning, lubing and reassembling them. For TRAINING you can just clean and reuse the parts. Once you understand them, buy rebuild kits for them (they are common, easy to find and available to anyone which is why I suggested those regs). At that point you can either ebay them to recoup some money or since both are time tested solid regs, just use them. In the end, you will be into the training for less than the cost of the 1 course, will have 2 great reference books and 2 working regs you can sell or use.

Books are great, and I believe you can learn a lot. But it also pays to have someone you can ask questions or share a problem with over the years. Having a mentor is a great thing. And you might have to get certified in order to do that. If you do it with a buddy or 2, then you have a network to share info and questions.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, manufacturers will only sell parts to authorized dealers not to independent techs. Most manufacturers also do not allow dealers to sell parts to end users. Zeagle. HOG, and Dive Rite (I think) are exceptions.

Completely agree, but don't let that discourage you. There are ways to get parts. Worry about that once you begin your trip down Voodoo Lane. Vance's book is a better road map to begin your journey in my opinion.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, manufacturers will only sell parts to authorized dealers not to independent techs. Most manufacturers also do not allow dealers to sell parts to end users. Zeagle. HOG, and Dive Rite (I think) are exceptions.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 01:51 AM ----------

There are threads where HOG lists the tools required for their service course. Probably the most expensive tool will be the torque wrench or wrenches.

I use Craftsmen Torque wrenches. They were on sale a month or so ago for $40.00. My Ultrasonic was 150.00.

But the HOG course is not designed to teach you how to service your regs in a shop environment as most of the people taking it are likely going to not have those resources available. Nice if you do but not required.

They'll likely be doing their regs on their own workbench or even kitchen table. Heck maybe even on the tailgate of your truck. That's why I teach the class in my home or will travel and the participants can rent a hotel room where we will do it.

The first time I sat in to get my instructor cert to teach the class the guy who wrote the course used an empty, clean peanut butter jar for parts cleaning with degreaser (dishwashing liquid) and rinsing.

If you are not a shop tech the course also ONLY AUTHORIZES you to work on your own regs. Not on your buddy's.

If you choose to do that I would think long and hard as you assume all liability for doing so and you are not in any way approved to do that by HOG.

My advice - you and your buddy take the course, split the cost of the ultrasonic, and service your regs together. Helping and checking each other as you do so while following the steps laid out in the manual.

Correct me if I get this wrong, to take HOG course, you need to have some kind of tech endorsement. Not neccesary a full tech cert, but some intro to tech, or Fundie tech pass. Not sure if rule has change. So not just anyone is quality to take the class.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 03:22 PM ----------

I disagree with this assesment. Unless you have no tools at all, there are few extra tools that are required. Most regs do not require much in the way of specilized tools, contrary to what many will tell you. There are a few but most either fall into the "nice to have" or the build your own catagory. For the price of 1 service, you can buy most any of the required special tools you don't have. Both books will run you about the cost of another service. After that, all your services are free..plus parts obviously. In a service shop the tools are needed to help speed production up but for the DIYer, speed it not as improtant.

I agree, from cost stand point, you will be ahead in a long run. But just like you said, tools and books will cost 2 service. So only at the 3rd service, you start to come ahead. For 2 year service interval of HOG, it is 6 years before it is making finiacial sense.

I still will say that you do it if you enjoy doing things yourself. you don't do it beccause you want to save some money unless you have many set of reg and/or you dive enough that you need more frequence service than manufacture recommendation.

I'm going to have 2 sets of doubles regs to do very soon, me & my buddy's.

Beware of servicing someone elses regulator. In a SHTF situation you will be dragged into the legalities. Even HOG IIRC states that after the course you can only service your OWN regulator.

Servicing regs is easy to do once you get past the gimmicks manufactures put in place to try and prevent you from doing your own service. The only special tool you need is an intermediate pressure gauge. Ultrasonic cleaning is good but you can do without it if you soak the parts in vinegar, simple green and hot tap water. Between reading a good book and the support you can find here you should have no problem.

Beware of servicing someone elses regulator. In a SHTF situation you will be dragged into the legalities. Even HOG IIRC states that after the course you can only service your OWN regulator.

Do you think it could get you in as much trouble as stopping and helping a little old lady on the side of the road with a flat tire?

BTW. US cleaners are really useful if you are going to service regs that have not received good user care. Once I have done the initial clean up one of my ebay treasures, I will probably never subject it to an US cleaning again.

I service my own regulators not for the cost savings, but because I like to tinker and want to know it is done right. I also want the ability to troubleshoot. I have Vince Harlow's book and highly recommend it. I also just got Wolfinger's Regulator Savvy and am impressed.

You don't get into DIY to save money on the first few you make or service - it generally doesn't work that way. If you do a lot it saves a LOT of money. I'm into DIY because I like to tinker, and as a bonus it has saved me a fair bit of money. Personally I have found regulators very simple and easy to work on.

There is a lot of very good advice above. You should know one end of a wrench from another; don't service someone else's gear -- especially something that someone calls life-support equipment; go slow and carefully; and don't hesitate to ask for advice.

Good luck.

Do you think it could get you in as much trouble as stopping and helping a little old lady on the side of the road with a flat tire?
It definitely can get into troubles if the reg "participated" in a fatality even if it is not the reason. At least here in Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom