DH Regulator Service Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested in learning how to service my own DA Aquamaster--or at least get a better idea of how it works and how to do field repairs. Any suggestions? I'm guessing if I showed up for the regular PADI version they'd laugh me out of the course!
As @rhwestfall said, VDH's manuals repository is a great resource (not just for DH regs). The forum there is searchable and full of good info too. You could also check in at Home | Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum , it's pretty active and full of folks more than willing to help.
Parts wise, I mostly use About Us these days, but other options can pop up.

Respectfully,

James

You got good advice from Bob (@rhwestfall ) and James (@James79 ).

I would add that any knowledge you get from any "good" regulator repair course will also be valuable. Mechanically DH regulator share many of the same features.

A DA Aqua Master has a non-balanced first stage (which no modern single hose reg has anymore), but it is not that different from a Royal Aqua Master, which has the same first stage as a Conshelf.

The second stage is a basic down-stream demand valve. It is all very simple.

PADI version doesn’t really teach you much , more of an arial view rather than a how to class. Besides the VDH and some youtube videos, I would suggest getting a copy of "Regulator Savvy" Regulator Savvy Book | Scuba Tools it is an in depth book on how regulators work, a must reading IMO, if you are learning to service any kind of reg. Regs are fairly simple to service, DH regs are very much the same as single hose regs, just packaged in one unit. They do have nuances you have to learn to get the best out of them but thats with any reg. They do dive and react differently than single hose regs so learning how to properly dive a DH reg is very important.

For experience servicing regs, find a Conshelf and learn to service it, most of the internal parts are exactly the same as a RAM. You will become acquainted with the design and end up with a great reg to boot.

Lastly, ask questions on this as well and the vintage boards, there are a lot of experienced divers that can help you along.

You can get all the information and help you need at Vintagescuba.proboards.com. There are several recent threads on the DAAM rebuild. I have serviced many.

I'm interested in learning how to service my own DA Aquamaster--or at least get a better idea of how it works and how to do field repairs. Any suggestions? I'm guessing if I showed up for the regular PADI version they'd laugh me out of the course!
These may be useful.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Historical_Diver_34_2003.pdf
    27.8 MB · Views: 173
  • Aqua-Lung Repair Manual.pdf
    31.6 MB · Views: 221
Well, the VDH website seems to be falling into disrepair…. Trying to get to Home only gets you a sorta cheesy video and the Store is “closed for repair” and has been for at least a couple weeks. I fear we’re losing it as a resource.☹️

Well, the VDH website seems to be falling into disrepair…. Trying to get to Home only gets you a sorta cheesy video and the Store is “closed for repair” and has been for at least a couple weeks. I fear we’re losing it as a resource.☹️

Bryan Pennington, owner of Vintage Double Hose passed away last October.

The store is closed. His friend Rob (@1969ivan1) is trying to fill some of the vintage community parts needs (at The SCUBA MUSEUM).

At the moment the VDH website is just as Bryan left it. The message-board is still functional, but there not much activity.

We do not know what the future is for VDH website. But, we are hoping that the entire VDH website can be archived in a form that the content can be searched so that it is not all lost in the future.

You can still download all the catalogs and manuals and we recommend you down load them all. You will find a lot of great information there, including lots of stuff about your Conshelf and other stuff.

Greeetings R A. ….no laughing here… I am doing the same. Please don’t ditch your ‘Doubles’ I have been diving USD DA Aquamaster & Royal Aquamaster for macro photography since about ‘83. No SPG power inflator or octo at that time. Careful dive planning, a partner w/close air consumption rate, J-valves and dive site surveys before switching my tank from SHR to my ‘double’ for the photo dive.

My 1st SCUBA intro in ‘74 w/used VOIT Trieste in a pool. Cool…after that determine to learn how to SCUBA dive. Lots of challenges last 30 years but I have learned a lot in the past 2 years. I now have about 20 ‘doubles’ some never dived with a few older than me. Lots of cleaning, hunting parts, learning how to service and actually overhaul them and I make them Safe to dive with. All my own personal collection, and not for sale. I am willing to help with advice and whom to contact.

A good place to start is, ‘The Scuba Museum’. Rob & Barb have restored gear, parts, accessories, almost anything you need to overhaul your vintage Double Hose Regulator(s). Next is A and D Adventures w/ Allan Klauda. simonbeans@yahoo.com can help with restoration, make you an authentic tank harness customized for You, with ALL of the instructions you need. And finally a ‘Treadure Trove’ of vintage SCUBA knowledge. Alec Pierce Scuba out of ON, Canada. He is another patient individual who can help. I have many more at my disposal that I can send you to.

My all-time fave is the ‘Waterlung Dual-Air by Sportsways’ they also made the ‘Twin Jet’ and a ‘Navy Approved’ model. Mine HAS AMF Voit MR12 octopus regulator, a Sportsways ‘Sea-Vue’ tank gauge as well as a power inflator, making an excellent open water rig for any occasion. You can do the same w/Voit Trieste & Trieste II and there are others with many ports and HP port. Beware, though at that time the HP & LP fittings were the same size causing havoc when changing hoses.

ALWAYS, fill tanks to 2250 psi, no more for Vintage Doubles for Safety. Try to purchase ‘Basic SCUBA’ 2nd edition by Fred Roberts. This book has the essential things to know and how to assemble and maintain your DHRs.

I wish you the best. Please send a response if you are able. Forgive me for finding your post so late.

sincerely
the giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84. And avid vintage collector.

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpeg
    IMG_0865.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0863.jpeg
    IMG_0863.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg