Regulator servicing... everyone that's not a tech, vote...

If you work on your own regs and are not a tech, would you take the courses?

• Yes, I would love to... a good diver learns as much as he/she can and doesn't put their safety in ot

Votes: 98 81.7%
  • No, i know enough and have sources for parts

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • No, who needs it? Safety Smaftey (this is what the people that select the option below think we are

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I'm one of the "let the techs do it" so i shouldn't be voting anyway

Votes: 16 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh, mike... I've never heard of free certifications. I payed plenty for mine. And I could really care less what my lds has to offer... no advise they give comes without profit as their underlying goals. I've heard... "Oh, that SP Classic Nt is notorious for bad tank straps" (sherwood dealer), I can get that pelican 1650 case for $150 (but I'll sell it to you for $249). Crap like that. And Mike, this guy doesn't even own a compressor and his classes are overpriced. Beside that, he doesn't have much overhead because he operates a successful health care supply business out of the same building. That pays the rent. Places like Leisure Pro will continue to expand. And if one LDS doesn't treat you right... there's another down the road. And if that one down the road doesn't treat you right... one day someone like Leisure Pro will have a going out of business party for him. And I won't feel the least bit of remorse for him because he sent himself out of business, not the leisure pros of the world. Mike, you guys should really be working on gaining customer loyalty or do you feel its too late for you and you're just bitter now?

No they are not lieing or cheating. They are paying others to lie (as in break agreements they have willingly made.

No they're not. Another lie.

Here's the text from one manufacturer's "Pricing" policy;

(Manufacturer) has not and will not make any agreements with any dealer, either expressly, or by implication, concerning the resale prices on its products.

This is one example. The others are nearly word-for-word. Insert "Scubapro", "Halcyon", "DUI", "Oceanic", "TUSA" or virtually any other brand in there, you find the same thing. I have a nice, large, stack of these documents in my desk. With but one exception they do not say "you agree not to sell at more than X% discount."

What IS in those documents is a clearly-worded threat that any sale at under some price will bring retaliation in the form of revocation of the dealership.

The reason there is no agreement on price maintenance is that such an agreement is a flat violation of federal (and most state's) law.

Therefore, the retailer is not "breaking an agreement", as there is no agreement to break. You can't make an agreement to do an illegal thing (well, ok, you can, but you usually get nailed for it.)

That is, if they are doing this in the first place.

Mike, if you think that LP is surviving on "a few" percent (5-10%) mark-ups you're just plain wrong. Very, very wrong. No retail business in NYC can do that. It simply cannot, and is not, happening on those margins. No matter what you may think. The costs of operating a business like that - a real, stocking retailer - especially in NYC - make it impossible.

Yet they do it. Reliably. With real customer service. With policies and customer focus that the so-called "full service" folks refuse to provide.

They're making 20-30% gross margins Mike. And you can't do that the way you're claiming they're getting the merchandise.

Not with that kind of selection and product depth.

There aren't enough scuba shops to do this kind of a backhand deal with them in the United States and keep them in stock on their product.

Mikeferrara may be right on this LP on their web site says they dont always buy through regular channels. the gear has to come from somewhere . but IMO the manufacturers know what is going on where the equipment is going and choose to do nothing . you dont think a manufacturer would notice a struggling dive shop that sold 3 regs last year and 10 in the last 5 years suddenly order 40 and a month later 40 more . I am certain the manufacturers know exactly what is going on. just choose to do nothing

Joens

If I lived near Mikeferrara's shop I would likely shop there exclusively if there were more dealers like him we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

joens once bubbled...
Mikeferrara may be right on this LP on their web site says they dont always buy through regular channels. the gear has to come from somewhere . but IMO the manufacturers know what is going on where the equipment is going and choose to do nothing .

I don't believe it is because the mfgr chooses to do nothing. I believe it is because the enforced consumer protection laws in some countries prohibit the mfgr from taking action. So, unless they want to leave that market entirely, SP & Apeks just have to put up with Diveinn's internet sales and the sale of stock to LeisurePro thru overseas distributers.

I didnt think of that . stronger consumer protection laws in other countries .
joens

is to get these kinds of laws passed HERE.

Laws that prohibit ANY form of price restraint.

That's what the Sherman Act was SUPPOSED to do. Activist judges and the lack of will in Congress to buttress the law has gutted the intent in the US.

I could be wrong but I don't think LP is buying Zeagle over seas. I don't believe it's because of good laws there and bad laws here.

What in the Sam Hill makes you guys say consumers need to be protected more. you guys get half rate equipment prices, half rate classes and cheap service. Pardon me but it isn't you who needs to be protected.

I agree Mike the LDS are the ones losing out here . the consumers just have to put up with the inconvenience of ordering from LP instead of picking it up at the LDS.the LDS's have more at stake here than the consumer
Joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom