Regulator Bag / Hard Case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonAustin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My fiancee is fishing for ideas for a Christmas gift. Can anybody recommend a good soft regulator bag? What about a hard case? Does anyone have an opinion on the superiority of bags vs. hard cases? I'd like to be able to fit it inside an airline-compliant carry-on (preferably with some extra space available).

I know some people love soft bags, but to be honest, ANYTHING I truly value and can be broken goes in a hard case. Period. Laptop, palm-pilot, Scuba Guages, not sure about my regs yet. What I need to find is a case (Pelican, Otter) where I can put my instruments, regs, and so forth in ONE case and be done with it. The added benefit is that the cases are waterproof if you want to put electronics in there as well. If you just want to put your regs in there, a fairly small case will do just fine.

Hard cases use up precious weight allowance when you fly. I've used DiveRite padded mask bags and regulator bags on a dozen trips or more with no gear casualties.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/fins/bags.shtml

You're likely going to get as many different thought as people who respond. I use a backpack as a carry-on because of versitility. My reg, primary and backup computer, PC storage device for my dive computer's data, PDA, cell phone & camera all fit nicely in the pack as well as travel documents and a couple bottles of water. It's easy to carry and works just fine for me.

I wish I could tell you. I am buying regs this week, and a case for all this stuff once I get it all assembled. My plan is to put it all in a bag, head to the dive shop lay it out on various cases until I find one that will fit the bill. And buy it! :)

Right now, I have Pelican micro cases for my depth guage, palm-pilot, data logger, etc.

hahahaha! Funny you should ask. My buddy has a hard plastic case that use to house an electric drill. Drill is long gone, so he gutted the case and puts his regulators in it for airline travel.

Enter TSA. The last trip we made TSA opened the box looked at the regs and then shut the box. While looking they must have moved them around somewhat. They ended up laying the second stage on top of the first stage and FORCED THE LID SHUT! He opened the box on our arrival to find the faceplate of the second stage cracked across the middle, while still forced down on the first stage. Fortunately, as cavers, we carry spares of almost everything. Easily replaced for us, but not for everybody!

Me? I have hip issues with hard mattresses. I have a torso-sized hunk of egg crate foam I wrap my regs in and secure with rubber bands. Wrap that in my exposure suit and tuck in the middle of my bag. Arrives intact and I have the foam for the hard mattress! Double duty!!

I use an Akona backpack (small one). I can get two regulators with hoses attached (stored in a regulator bag), two computers, camera (inside its housing), camera accessories, dvd player, headphones, dvds, a book or two, a bottle of water, and all my travel documents with plenty of room to spare. Sometimes TSA makes me unload it when going through customs, and most of the time they refuse to touch it, so nothing ever gets broken or stolen. With the weight on my back, my hands are free and I can maneuver through the airport quick and easy.

I just use a regular carry on size rolling suitcase. I pack my camera, regs, strobe, and some personal items. I've even put my 19 cuft pony in it when I thought I'd be over weight on my dive bag. I didn't want to put it in my suit case with the drysuit. I didn't want to give the TSA goons a reason to open the suitcase and mess with the drysuit if I could help it. I was concerned that they wouldn't take proper care of the zipper.

I also carry on my iBook is a bag and that also holds other electronics and snacks. It does not leave my sight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom