Regulator and Hose with Swivel mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R A Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While at a recent class one of the other students was showing off his new regulator and hose with a swivel (spelling?) mount. Is this a helpful addition?
I have had trouble with the regular fitting correctly in my mouth. It wants to lean at an angle. I'm often needing to straighten it out, which is distracting. The hose pulls it down to one side.
Any suggestions.
Robert, A Diver

A hose that pushes the reg to the left is too long while one that pulls it to the right is too short.

A swivel adds complication, a couple o-rings and increased potential for failure, so if you can avoid using one you will be better off.

While at a recent class one of the other students was showing off his new regulator and hose with a swivel (spelling?) mount. Is this a helpful addition?
I have had trouble with the regular fitting correctly in my mouth. It wants to lean at an angle. I'm often needing to straighten it out, which is distracting. The hose pulls it down to one side.
Any suggestions.
Robert, A Diver

Rather than a swivel, I really like my Miflex hose! I used to clench my regulator to keep it in my mouth because of the pushing and pulling with a regular hose which gave me slight jaw fatigue. With the Miflex, the regulator stays in my mouth and I barely notice any pulling, pushing, or need to clench the mouthpiece.

A swivel can take some pressure off and some people like them. Some people prefer the switch to a 90* elbow and routing the hose under their arm. IMHO granting the point of it being an extra failure point, as a recreational diver being comfortable with your gear is highly valuable. Good maintenance and regular inspections should minimize any additional risk.

i went with the zeagle 90 deg elbow (cheaper and better reviewed than the dive rite elbow) and 40" miflex hose routed under my right arm. extra length for sharing air (but i didn't want the awkward 5' hose wrapping around my torso), less chance of hose getting hooked on something, less drag, less jaw fatigue. these factors negate the "extra failure point", esp. since i take exceptional care of my gear.

Back
Top Bottom